Is This A Ghost?

Well... I guess I should have known that some would have interest in this, and others would eventually turn it into a fucking circus. And it's always the same ones...

archangel said:
about seven years ago the priest from St.Mary's was killed adjacent to the "Bucket of Blood" right about where the old hearse is displayed at the corner of the Bucket front door and the 'Delta' parking lot! He was struck by if I remember right a auto driven by the younger McBride brother who lost control in a patch of ice... could have been another prominent member of VC though...also this brother was found dead alongside the road near UNLV last spring...he did not show up for classes and a search found him...cause of death was unknown, suicide was suspected...just food for thought to continue speculation over the ghost vs flash theory!...and yes many ghost stories abound in VC! ;)

Thanks arch, for at least keeping civil, and not degenerating this any further than the peanut gallery already had.

No more pictures for this crowd. They get bored with them, and then start trying to make you look stupid. Childish.

And people wonder... why I sometimes have such a short fuze.

No offense Pale, but you asked if we thought it was a ghost or not, and then when multiple people said it most likely was not, you defiantly thumbed your nose at our theories as to what could have caused that white spot. I guess we could have just all started flaming each other, but instead we just got goofy.

The fact is, if you study both pictures, they are not identical. The angle of the picture is slightly different between the two. If you don't agree, that's fine, but that's what many of us believe. You did ask us if we thought it was a ghost or not.

I certainly wasn't trying to make you look stupid in the slightest. Perhaps you're being a bit hypersensitive in this regard. If you want to think it's a ghost, that's fine; I'm not trying to shit on your parade. What do you want us to do when you dismiss anything anyone says other than "yeah I think it's a ghost!" Argue with you?

The ClayTaurus said:
No offense Pale, but you asked if we thought it was a ghost or not, and then when multiple people said it most likely was not, you defiantly thumbed your nose at our theories as to what could have caused that white spot. I guess we could have just all started flaming each other, but instead we just got goofy.

The fact is, if you study both pictures, they are not identical. The angle of the picture is slightly different between the two. If you don't agree, that's fine, but that's what many of us believe. You did ask us if we thought it was a ghost or not.

I certainly wasn't trying to make you look stupid in the slightest. Perhaps you're being a bit hypersensitive in this regard. If you want to think it's a ghost, that's fine; I'm not trying to shit on your parade. What do you want us to do when you dismiss anything anyone says other than "yeah I think it's a ghost!" Argue with you?

Well Clay, first off, I did NOT "defiantly thumb my nose" at anyone. I mearly tried to "candidly" point out the circumstances surrounding how the pictures had been taken, (after all.. I WAS there), and then tell what I thought was a thought provoking story. But instead, it's more like YOU people "thumbed your nose at me", and then made fun of the whole thing as if I was some sort of idiot, and that always makes a person feel good. Know what I mean?

So that's all fine and dandy. You can do that to the next person brave enough to post pictures. It won't be me again. I'm not here to simply amuse others when my intentions are anything but.

Pale Rider said:
Well Clay, first off, I did NOT "defiantly thumb my nose" at anyone. I mearly tried to "candidly" point out the circumstances surrounding how the pictures had been taken, (after all.. I WAS there), and then tell what I thought was a thought provoking story. But instead, it's more like YOU people "thumbed your nose at me", and then made fun of the whole thing as if I was some sort of idiot, and that always makes a person feel good. Know what I mean?

So that's all fine and dandy. You can do that to the next person brave enough to post pictures. It won't be me again. I'm not here to simply amuse others when my intentions are anything but.

Ever heard of the Warrens, Pale? Here is a link to some photos they have at their site. There is one taken at a grave yard that is pretty creepy and others that have images present similar to the photo you posted. http://www.warrens.net/main.htm

Pale, I apologize if you thought I was making fun of you. I wasn't. And, since I'm a Christian, I certainly believe in spirits, and a spiritual world all around us. It's just that, to me, the second photo looked like a flash glare. But I was not trying to disparage your theory.

Pale Rider said:

OK Pale. Sorry I offended you with my goofiness. I had no intention of making you look like an idiot, whether you choose to believe it or not. I love a good ghost story as much as the next person; this just appeared as though you wondered what could cause a camera to do that, not share a ghost story. My mistake.

Pale Rider said:
Well, the camera was on automatic flash, so it's possible it set the exposure different in each picture. However, the picture taker never moved. I was looking directly at him standing mabye seven feet away. He took both pictures without doing one thing different.

Looking at the two pictures, it's obvious that your friend tilted the camera up a few degrees higher for the second one. The composition is slightly different.

Pale Rider said:
The flash was not reflecting off anything. If it did, both pictures would look the same.

Not if the angle that the camera was held at was different.

Pale Rider said:
My lens I keep compulsively clean. I have been into photography for years, and I'm very particular about keeping my camera's in top shape.

Bottom line is, the cloudiness in the second picture has no GOOD explanation...

The lens doesn't have to be dirty for 'lens flare' or 'ghosting' to occur. The lens on your camera is composed of several individual lenses. When the light from an external source (or reflected from the flash) hits these lenses at the right angle you can get internal reflections between them. This can create 'flares' in your pictures that often take on the shape of the aperture (pentagonal, hexagonal, or nearly circular (with really good lenses)). 'Flares' can manifest themselves as bright shapes, or less commonly as 'ghosts' wherein the image loses its tone and contrast in the affected areas.

Pale Rider said:
I know both pictures should be identicle. I stood right there and watched as this person didn't as much as move his feet, but rather just pushed the button on my camera, twice. Big difference in pictures though.

Maybe they should be, but they aren't. You wouldn't have had to see his feet move and I'm not surprised that you didn't notice a few degrees of extra altitude in the angle of the camera lens when he snapped your picture.

Not to change the subject or anything, but why's D playing in Blu's avatar?

It's the robot dance!

robot_walkA.gif

Forum List

Back