Art Interpretation Time!

The ClayTaurus

Sep 19, 2005
Ok kiddies, it's time to play "What the does this picture mean?"
senecal-go_get_em_tiger.jpg

Seriously, let's hear what message you interpret.

a Color blind test! Interpretation depends on color acuteness!

Okay….first I think only the artist knows for sure, BUT my interpretation is the guy makes a 90* turn in life and things get better in some ways, worse in others.

It reflects choice and consequence.

archangel said:
a Color blind test! Interpretation depends on color acuteness!
I don't know if that's true or not, but assuming it is, what's your interpretation with your color acuteness?

Mr. P said:
Okay….first I think only the artist knows for sure, BUT my interpretation is the guy makes a 90* turn in life and things get better in some ways, worse in others.

It reflects choice and consequence.
What about the 911 on his face?

Maybe a poster or a statement about job placement for the homeless? Just looking at the words "under cover" "recover(y)" and "poverty."

The ClayTaurus said:
I don't know if that's true or not, but assuming it is, what's your interpretation with your color acuteness?

artistic...I saw all the words and colors mixed into a cartoon character...my interpretation is simply a color test for vision... rather a clinical interpretation...but hey thats me!

Mr. P said:
I didn't even notice that...hummm

Now it takes on a political message..
Think so? Or is that just meant as him being in a state of peril, sort of at a point between either regressing or progressing and him totally freaking about it?

I think this piece has so much in it, I'm glad it's at least started a decent discussion :)

mom4 said:
Maybe a poster or a statement about job placement for the homeless? Just looking at the words "under cover" "recover(y)" and "poverty."
Yeah I've been trying to decipher the intent of those words all being blurred together as well...

it is about the urgent need to uncover poverty and the business community altering their current course to correct the current course

The ClayTaurus said:
Think so? Or is that just meant as him being in a state of peril, sort of at a point between either regressing or progressing and him totally freaking about it?

I think this piece has so much in it, I'm glad it's at least started a decent discussion :)
I agree it has much in it...I'll look closer in awhile and post again.
For now I see:
Life
Choices
consequence
determination (overcoming)
core beliefs

manu1959 said:
it is about the urgent need to uncover poverty and the business community altering their current course to correct the current course
Maybe the loose squares under the outstretched foot represent uncharted territory, then?

The ClayTaurus said:
Maybe the loose squares under the outstretched foot represent uncharted territory, then?

or "potholes"

the squares across the top with the X could be:
"cards" / "solutions" yet to be turned over
or
they could be "things" that have been tried and failed.

the 911 on the business man's face signifys the corporate world is in crisis

The border around him and the shattered glass at his feet show that he is walking through a looking glass. Like Alice, as he appears to be stepping into an alternate reality. This is also indicated by the fact that the "911" has obliterated his face.

Bottom line "artiste" interpretation: 9/11 altered America's reality forever. If the artist is liberal, (and aren't they all?) he is probably saying that 9/11 woke even American business men us up to the rest of the world's problems. Poverty, etc., as is printed at the botom.

The ClayTaurus said:
I think they represent the core of beliefs I mentioned. They (shapes) are all the same and "Unbroken", the guy walks on them (with them) everyday.
In the 911 context, that makes sense.

When I first looked at it, I thought he was walking out of an elevator. Now I'm not so sure.

Also, does anyone have ideas as to the window behind him? It looks as if it's barred up, no? And what about the up-down arrows to the right of him? I think that also led me to thinking he was coming out of an elevator...

Forum List

Back