Is the French healthcare system a good model for the U.S.?

You libs are funny. First it was "We want Britain's model" until people learned about them pulling their own teeth. Then it was "Canada is the best!" until we learned that the rich come here for surgery. Now it's Germany, France, Cuba, Denmark, ....

0.8% of Canadian patients come to the US for surgery. Often, it is for a procedure that is paid for by the Canadian government.

FYI

I am very sure you would be more than welcome over there, if not there, go to Canada.

I kind of like America the way it was, you know all that evil capitalism, where EVERYONE has a chance to succeed.

Health care- before any healthcare reform is passed, I think that it would be wise to try it out in a state to see if it works. Let's pick Chris's state. If it works and keeps costs down then it's probably okaykadokay to use it in the other 49 states, if it doesn't SCRAP the plan immediately and move on to another idea.

Hey people, I work in that industry and beleive me, I can beleive that people in Brittian pull their own teeth. Very little preventative care in these countries as far as dental care goes, periodontal disease is by far worse in these countries than in the U.S.

Many people I have met from foriegn socialized countries have never held a piece of floss let alone know why they should be doing it.

You libs are funny. First it was "We want Britain's model" until people learned about them pulling their own teeth. Then it was "Canada is the best!" until we learned that the rich come here for surgery. Now it's Germany, France, Cuba, Denmark, ....

How about if the politicians look at all these models, take a breather, and transform 1/6 of our economy based on what works best? How about if they take their time, and focus on the needs of the citizens and not just the illegals? How about if they stop hating America so much? Is that too much to ask for.

BTW

Brits pull their own teeth? That'll be news to them.

The British healthcare system sucks. It is not a good model.

The French and the Swedes have better ones.

Ours sucks as well, unless you are rich.

Rich aka self sufficient or a person who works for a living

Hey people, I work in that industry and beleive me, I can beleive that people in Brittian pull their own teeth. Very little preventative care in these countries as far as dental care goes, periodontal disease is by far worse in these countries than in the U.S.

Many people I have met from foriegn socialized countries have never held a piece of floss let alone know why they should be doing it.

Hey people, I used to live in that country and believe me I have never known anyone, nor known anyone that knew anyone, that pulled their own teeth.

0.8% of Canadian patients come to the US for surgery. Often, it is for a procedure that is paid for by the Canadian government.

FYI

Does that number include contracts the Canadian provinces make with US health care providers to provide medical services to their residents, due to shortages in their own system? Let me ask you this if they come here for medical services due to shortages in their provinces, then who will the US go to, to provide services for our residents?

When was that, like 50-70 years ago?

Hey people, I used to live in that country and believe me I have never known anyone, nor known anyone that knew anyone, that pulled their own teeth.

Blimey, British pull own teeth in dentist shortage

Man pulls out 13 of his own teeth with pliers 'because he couldn't find an NHS dentist' | Mail Online

How many people live in the UK? Is it at all possible that you don't know all, or even most, of them, and that there could be people there doing things without you knowing any of them?

Man pulls out 13 of his own teeth with pliers 'because he couldn't find an NHS dentist' | Mail Online

How many people live in the UK? Is it at all possible that you don't know all, or even most, of them, and that there could be people there doing things without you knowing any of them?

Ouch...

Hmmmmm, what to do....

I can

(a) ignore it......

or (b) I can say you've misunderstood....

Oh, bugger. I make a simple personal observation purely to balance another personal observation, someone reads too much into it and now I have to decide whether or not to defend a point that I wasn't making. I choose not.

or (c) I can defend a point that I wasn't trying to make....

60 million people. And you can drop the sarcasm Cec, of course I don't know all, most, or even a sizeable fraction of them. Though I probably know many, many more than either you or Maple. But that's not the point.

The point I was responding to was from a poster who indicated they had experience in this field and who found it easy to believe that Brits were resorting to pulling out their own teeth. My point was that I had never heard of anyone who had done that. Both are individual opinions or observations that mean little on their own.

Now, for some reason you've decided to refute my personal experience with a bit of Googling. Not sure why my assertion is somehow less valid than Maple's but what the hell, let's look at what you've found and see how representative the stories are. Link 1:

The survey of 5,212 patients and 750 dentists in England found 6% of patients resorted to self-treatment, including one person who extracted 14 of his teeth with pliers. Other patients reported using glue on crowns after they popped off.

So, of 5000 patients surveyed, some guy is nutty enough to yank out over a dozen teeth with pliers. You're right, I don't know him, but he sounds like a perfectly sane, well balanced sort of individual and clearly I've missed out on a great potential friendship.

Now, on to the other story in Link 2 (which I suspect is the same guy - same year, and what's a tooth or two between friends), where we find this...

A spokesman for NHS East Riding of Yorkshire said Mr Boynton's case gave an 'inaccurate scare-mongering picture of dental service provision in East Yorkshire based solely on the claims of one man'
The spokesman said: 'As well as 34 dental practices, we have seven dental access centres across East Riding of Yorkshire, including Beverley, where Mr Boynton could access a full range of NHS dentist services.

I guess it all comes down to who you believe. The NHS spokesman or the guy who pulled out his own teeth with pliers.

What to do, what to do.....

I'm going to sleep on it, because as it turns out none of the answers is satisfactory.

Forum List

Back