Is the disastrous GOP Foxconn deal what sunk the Amazon deal?

It’s like a scam artist. You give me $1 billion and I’ll give you back $2 billion next Tuesday.

It's like a moron test.

Amazon....I give you $27 billion, instead of $30 billion.

AOC....Outrageous!!! I insist you give me $0

Amazon.....okay...……..idiot.
We don't need more crony capitalism. Why do you trust politicians to make these deals?

Should NY let AOC spend the $3 billion they saved?
That depends on a lot of things. Is the spending really needed? Do they have a big surplus. I believe in balanced budgets.

These deals just increase corruption. We should be limiting the power of politicians, we have enough corruption.

Do they have a big surplus.

Don't they have an extra $3 billion that they couldn't spend last week?
It did appear they were somehow going to give cash to Amazon. Do you really want politicians to have so much influence on private business?

It did appear they were somehow going to give cash to Amazon.

Did they have a pot of $3 billion they were going to hand over?
Or was it more like a coupon, generate $27 billion in taxes, get $3 billion off?

We don't need more crony capitalism. Why do you trust politicians to make these deals?

That depends on a lot of things. Is the spending really needed? Do they have a big surplus. I believe in balanced budgets.

These deals just increase corruption. We should be limiting the power of politicians, we have enough corruption.

It did appear they were somehow going to give cash to Amazon. Do you really want politicians to have so much influence on private business?

Or was it more like a coupon, generate $27 billion in taxes, get $3 billion off?
Give no how govt works I would assume they would borrow to give to amazon. Regardless I don’t want politicians making these deals. Why do you think they are so competent?

Give no how govt works I would assume they would borrow to give to amazon. Regardless I don’t want politicians making these deals. Why do you think they are so competent?

Have you looked over the "Green New Deal" yet?

Anything in there strike you as wise economic policy?

Can’t say I have. Does it involve this amazon deal?

Can’t say I have. Does it involve this amazon deal?

No.

Being a Wisconsin resident I can say the public is losing any faith in foxconn. Walker faded out. I voted for him twice...I sat out the last election.

Wisconsin’s $4.1 billion Foxconn factory boondoggle

The size of the subsidy was stunning. It was far and away the largest in Wisconsin history and the largest government handout to a foreign company ever given in America. Like most states, Wisconsin had given subsidies to companies in the past, but never higher than $35,000 per job. Foxconn’s subsidy was $230,000 per job.

Wow! They are saying that Wisconsin won’t see a profit until 2043. Personally, I don’t believe they ever will. This is just another way Republicans giveaway billions to billionaires and corporations.
Deanrd, you're apparently correct.

It's reasonable to consider (median annual wages) X (numbers of employees), when determining the justified amounts of tax concessions necessary to seduce enterprises to locate within the governed jurisdiction.

If Vox media's “the verge” article's reported numbers are correct, the scale of the tax concessions does seem unjustified.
How should Wisconsin make up the difference? Short change public infrastructure, more public school pupils per instructor, reduce allocations of funding for public safety? Enforcement?

How do you think those government subsidized sports stadiums that supposedly “will pay for themselves”, are actually paid for?

Respectfully, Supposn

This 1 number sums up why that Foxconn deal is over-the-top bad for Wisconsin

Every day the failed Amazon deal gets bigger and worse according to Republicans. First it was 20,000 jobs and then 25,000 jobs and who knows how many it’s going to be next time, 20 million jobs?
It’s like a scam artist. You give me $1 billion and I’ll give you back $2 billion next Tuesday.
Now it could’ve been a good deal. Who knows? But after the disaster of the Foxconn deal in Wisconsin, people are naturally going to be a little bit gun shy.

Trump called Foxconn's Wisconsin factory an 'incredible investment,' but evidence is mounting it's a terrible deal

Wisconsin's deal with Foxconn was as bad as they come

You may be a bigger fucking idiot than AOC

My city got burned by Intel; that ended any more of these deals being passed by the local government. They're just swindles. New York is losing nothing by kissing Amazon off. They set up here without any big subsidies or tax breaks. They brought a lot of minimum wage sweatshop jobs, so no relief from the food stamp rolls and public health services. Without those no cheap wage jobs would be possible here; they are in fact business subsidies.

Crony Capitalism Deals Like Foxconn Sells Us Off To The Corporate Scammers

Wisconsin is one of the latest to fall under the spell. The state’s former governor, with the current president of the United States cheering him on, handed over one of the largest corporate welfare packages in U.S. history to Foxconn, the Taiwanese multinational electronics manufacturer with a lengthy track record of broken promises.

-------------------

Why is the GOP base so accepting of being ripped off?

Anyone?

First, all but one of your links are opinion pieces. And the most important thing? The deal is performance based. If they don’t perform as laid out, no deal. So explain how that is disastrous-
The state’s “performance-based contract with Foxconn provides the company the flexibility to make these business decisions, and at the same time, protects Wisconsin’s taxpayers,” Mark Hogan, chief executive and secretary of the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation, said in a statement. “As has been reported, Foxconn will not qualify for tax credits until, at the earliest, 2020, and then only if the company meets its annual job creation and capital investment requirements. Our ongoing discussions with company officials reflect Foxconn’s continued commitment to the State of Wisconsin.”
Apple supplier Foxconn reconsidering its Wisconsin plans: Much-touted $10 billion plant might be R&D site instead

Every day the failed Amazon deal gets bigger and worse according to Republicans. First it was 20,000 jobs and then 25,000 jobs and who knows how many it’s going to be next time, 20 million jobs?
Now it could’ve been a good deal. Who knows? But after the disaster of the Foxconn deal in Wisconsin, people are naturally going to be a little bit gun shy.

Trump called Foxconn's Wisconsin factory an 'incredible investment,' but evidence is mounting it's a terrible deal

Your party is running on stoping cows from farting lol you are going to lose bad

The whole premise of the thread is a falsehood.

They don’t perform as contracted, no benefit is given. Period.

Wisconsin got screwed by Republicans and that’s why Scott Walker lost the governorship.
And the biggest screw was Republicans making a deal with Foxconn that screwed the people of Wisconsin.
When corporations say they want billions of dollars, you don’t just stop there, you negotiate. I know Republicans don’t really understand what that means but the rest of the people do. Negotiation is a good thing. Something Donald Trump is really bad at. Republicans are no better.

Actually, no. Our property and income taxes went down under Scott Walker. He also gave us a concealed carry law, a stand your ground law, brought many businesses to Wisconsin, broke the balls of the big labor unions, and made public employees pony up for their own insurance like everyone else.

How that POS Evers got is elected, nobody can seem to figure out. But we still have a Republican-controlled Senate and Assembly, so he's pretty much a worthless lame duck Governor. He can't take a crap without the Republicans giving him the ok.
Stand your ground is only for non blacks.

Remember, Trayvon Martin ran away at first. But he was chased down by Republican hero and child murderer, Zimmerman, and when Martin decided to "hold his ground" and confront the man who was chasing him, Zimmerman shot the unarmed and underaged teen dead in cold blood.

Then Republicans sent Zimmerman hundreds of thousands of dollars for his defense.

Donations pour in to Trayvon Martin's killer - CNN
Yesaz I remembaz dat. Po innocent boy killed fo eating candy and goinz to check on he gramma. Trayvon was a pre-emptive strike.
Trayvon Martin case: He was suspended three times and caught with 'burglary tool' | Daily Mail Online

Problem is Republicans think all business is great. That business is on the side of the American people. That business is a kind of charity that hands out jobs to the undeserving.
Well as we know from Donald Trump, many business deals are actually scams that hurt a lot of people.

Problem is Republicans think all business is great.

Problem is Democrats think all government is great.
Not when it’s run by Republicans. When you have Republicans in charge all you get is debt and war and disaster and tax cuts for needy billionaires.

What War did Trump start?

Also what disaster that is man made and not natural that has happened under Trump?

I will wait for your response but knowing you, well I will never get one because you know the answer is none!

WI is paying for all sorts of additional infastructure with no benefit so far. These deals always go bad.

WI is paying for all sorts of additional infastructure with no benefit so far. These deals always go bad.
And yet the expansion of I-94 had been planned long before Foxconn came along, it just hadn’t progressed until then. They then applied for a received a grant from the feds for $227.4 million for its project already in progress. -
Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker announced Wednesday his state will be using $160 million of federal funding from the USDOT INFRA program to help pay for the 36-mile I-94 interstate project that will support the Foxconn Technology Group's $10 billion LCD manufacturing plant in Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin. The remaining grant money will be put towards 50 or more bridge projects in the state.

The $227.4 million INFRA grant is the largest ever received for Wisconsin but is $86 million less than Wisconsin requested last October

DOT Releases $1.5B for 26 Infrastructure Projects
Wisconsin gets $160 million for I-94 upgrade ahead of Foxconn's arrival
Foxconn sends I-94 work into overdrive in Racine County | BizTimes Media Milwaukee

More than $1 billion has been spent on the I-94 north-south corridor since 2009, with most of the money going to adding lanes and rebuilding interchanges in Kenosha and Milwaukee counties. The Racine County portion of the project progressed at a slower pace as resources went to rebuilding the Zoo Interchange.

But the arrival of Foxconn Technology Group in Mount Pleasant means Racine County is now the center of attention when it comes to Department of Transportation projects. Anyone who has driven through the I-94 corridor in Racine County recently has seen the return of the familiar orange barrels, but it might be a few months before the state knows just how long those barrels will be there.

And with the expansion, water would need to also be routed at that time for the area, even if Foxconn wasn’t going in-

Water diversion sought for Foxconn area
Expanding water access has been of longstanding interest to the Village of Mount Pleasant,” stated Claude Lois, Foxconn project director for the Village of Mount Pleasant. “If this application is approved, it will help us better serve current and future residents, workers and visitors to our village.”

From what I could find the water main costs are $8 million.

And yet the expansion of I-94 had been planned long before Foxconn came along, it just hadn’t progressed until then. They then applied for a received a grant from the feds for $227.4 million for its project already in progress. -
Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker announced Wednesday his state will be using $160 million of federal funding from the USDOT INFRA program to help pay for the 36-mile I-94 interstate project that will support the Foxconn Technology Group's $10 billion LCD manufacturing plant in Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin. The remaining grant money will be put towards 50 or more bridge projects in the state.

The $227.4 million INFRA grant is the largest ever received for Wisconsin but is $86 million less than Wisconsin requested last October

Foxconn sends I-94 work into overdrive in Racine County | BizTimes Media Milwaukee

More than $1 billion has been spent on the I-94 north-south corridor since 2009, with most of the money going to adding lanes and rebuilding interchanges in Kenosha and Milwaukee counties. The Racine County portion of the project progressed at a slower pace as resources went to rebuilding the Zoo Interchange.

But the arrival of Foxconn Technology Group in Mount Pleasant means Racine County is now the center of attention when it comes to Department of Transportation projects. Anyone who has driven through the I-94 corridor in Racine County recently has seen the return of the familiar orange barrels, but it might be a few months before the state knows just how long those barrels will be there.

And with the expansion, water would need to also be routed at that time for the area, even if Foxconn wasn’t going in-

Expanding water access has been of longstanding interest to the Village of Mount Pleasant,” stated Claude Lois, Foxconn project director for the Village of Mount Pleasant. “If this application is approved, it will help us better serve current and future residents, workers and visitors to our village.”

Lots and lots of costs.
However, the credits are only part of the picture. An analysis by the Legislative Fiscal Bureau estimated the total cost of Foxconn at $4.5 billion, factoring in not only the state tax credits, but also road improvements, utilities and other capital costs. As Wisconsin Budget Project analyst Tamarine Cornelius explains, taxpayers would “still be on the hook” for a lot of these expenses, even if the job targets are not met. “There’s a portion of the payments that are not strongly linked to jobs,” Cornelius says. “So, even in flush economic times, there are very real opportunity costs here.”
The Real Cost of Foxconn

These deals never workout for tax payers. Government shouldn't be picking winners and losers.

Foxconn falls short of first job-creation hurdle but reiterates ultimate employment pledge

Foxconn Technology Group had 178 full-time Wisconsin employees in 2018 — 82 jobs short of the minimum required for the company to immediately claim state job-creation tax credits.

Memo: Foxconn cost to public nearing $4.5 billion

The breakdown of public costs from the project, according to the memo, is as follows:

• State tax credits, $2.85 billion
  • Local government incentives, $764 million
  • U.S. Interstate 94 North-South project, $408 million
  • Utility costs, $140 million
  • State sales tax exemption, $139 million
  • Road improvements, $134 million
  • Worker training, $20 million
  • Local government grants, $15 million

Memo: Foxconn cost to public nearing $4.5 billion

The breakdown of public costs from the project, according to the memo, is as follows:

• State tax credits, $2.85 billion
  • Local government incentives, $764 million
  • U.S. Interstate 94 North-South project, $408 million
  • Utility costs, $140 million
  • State sales tax exemption, $139 million
  • Road improvements, $134 million
  • Worker training, $20 million
  • Local government grants, $15 million
If they haven’t starting building, then they have gotten any tax credits, the I-94 expansion was already in the works, utilities would come along with the expansion. Worker training for what? And, they ended up receiving a large dot grant to help with the expansion they otherwise would have had to pay for completely.
What local govt incentives have they utilized? As well as sales tax exemptions?

Forum List

Back