CDZ Is Slavery America's Greatest Sin?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
If so, what about all the other countries in the world that practiced slavery through the 1800s? Why isn't it their greatest sin too, and why aren't their slave descendants as resentful as in this country? Might the answers to these questions lead to greater understanding and resolution of our racial problems?

It happened over 150 years ago, there isn't a person alive who was a slave. America wasn't the only country allowing it and it was norm for the time period. Was it wrong? Yes...but you can't keep harping on it to people that were in no way involved and for the most part who's ancestors were not involved. My ancestors fought on the side of the Union, some died....my family did their part

Arguably, imperialism and warmongering are greater sins.

If so, what about all the other countries in the world that practiced slavery through the 1800s? Why isn't it their greatest sin too,

What about them? If the question is about "America", which presumably means the US (or does it?), then what some other country's greatest sin is is irrelevant to that question.

and why aren't their slave descendants as resentful as in this country?

Who says they're not?
Actually ---- how would you even quantify that?

Last edited:
If so, what about all the other countries in the world that practiced slavery through the 1800s? Why isn't it their greatest sin too, and why aren't their slave descendants as resentful as in this country? Might the answers to these questions lead to greater understanding and resolution of our racial problems?

Some are still practising it.

South America,I believe, had more black slaves than the US. Are there simmering racial tensions in those countries too?

Slave derives from the word Slav (i.e. those of White Slavic origin). Virtually all peoples have been enslaved at some point in history. Why the legacy of slavery remains such a massive issue still in the United States is a mystery.....but if I had to speculate.....I'd blame white people. :D

South America,I believe, had more black slaves than the US. Are there simmering racial tensions in those countries too?

Slave derives from the word Slav (i.e. those of White Slavic origin). Virtually all peoples have been enslaved at some point in history. Why the legacy of slavery remains such a massive issue still in the United States is a mystery.....but if I had to speculate.....I'd blame white people. :D

I get the feeling they are driving it. I've just returned from a lengthy visit there.

No, but people act like it is b/c the left knows there's no enough tribal Americans to swing elections.

Breaking our treaties with the tribes and going to WW 1 were our greatest sins

Thank you for the question.

First, let's get to a concise political definition of sin without any religion involved, although the documents originating the concept of sin are mostly used for religion. Being an American, knowing of all the languages spoken in America within all of its distinct countries with its distinct States, Spanish is most definitely prevalent in the account of official federal (bureaucratic) books. When crossing borders from North America to Central America and further South, the official common language is generally Spanish.

The word "Sin" in Spanish signifies the same as the English conjecture "None of". This is how it is used in political context:

A asks "Should we use sunscreen to go to the beach today?"
B answers "Yes" or "No" with a rational explanation and asks of A to provide their own perspective in relation to all conditions present where they are and the probable conditions at the beach.
A tells B their thoughts, furthering or opposing B's initial decision.
After the discussion continues in this way by the gathering of more information on the conditions which relate to the question, A and B may conclude "None of the sunscreen for us today".

After the Sin relating to sunscreen is agreed upon, it forwards the events without any political conflict on the issue, even if at the end of the day A and B, or only one of them, discover having some of the sunscreen would have been an improved decision on their previous, only partially informed discussion.

Next time an improved discussion must occur.

In English: "No sunscreen, we know the conditions".
In Spanish: "Sin crema solar, las condiciones son conocidas".

Definition set, let's get to the topic.

Is the absence of Slavery in America the greatest absence of all?
Let's consider America as a whole, and not only America today, although my knowledge of century long conditions is not as established as my experience of only brief decades.

Is the absence of Slavery appreciated? Yes, most definitely.
Can I conceive in my mind of something worse than slavery of which the absence would be more greatly appreciated than the absence of slavery? Yes, most definitely.

Then my answer to your question is: No, Slavery is not the greatest Sin in America or in any country which has experienced it in the past because history extends back millennia in which an underdeveloped humanity bellow the standards of natural communication could only acknowledge conditions far less elaborate than forceful social regulation, regardless of the geographical location in which those human groups found themselves tens of thousands of years ago.

In the same sense, I am able to recognize myself as a slave descendant without any resent, and I think this answer does solve any racial problems, or at least presents a foundation to proceed in the solution of any problem that may arise.

From the historical record, the treatment of white labor in the northern states and southern states as well was much worse, so no, it wasn't our 'greatest sin'. Africa's sins are far worse than ours; we were just pussycats in comparison, which is why I just laugh at the ridiculously hypocritical modern views of our past, by frauds who wouldn't have done a thing about any of it if they had been around then but think they should get trophies for babbling about how wrong it all was now, from the comfy digs out in the Burbs.

Some are still practising it.

Indeed, and one local person here in Dallas who was an activist fighting it was murdered recently. Not that those who run around whining about slavery in the south on these boards would be interested in something as dangerous as actually doing something about slavery of course.

images

upload_2016-7-10_0-39-18.jpeg

I'm sure the Native Americans whose ancestors were on the Trail Of Tears and the Lakota kin-folk not at Wounded Knee might argue as to what the United States greatest sin might have been.

*****SMILE*****

:)

I've travelled the world and the only ones who are still obsessed with bashing us for slavery are the American left that I've seen. And there is still slavery in the world.

As to the question, that is referring to history and I say yes, it is the worst thing we've done. It goes against the core of who we are and what we set out to accomplish. What we did to a lot of the Indians, the Spanish American war (our only war of empirialism), our endless participation in the middle east are among other candidates. But slavery was #1

Forum List

Back