Is science fiction dying?

Pax Romana

Rookie
Nov 23, 2010
No Star Trek.
No Stargate.
No Babylon 5.
No Battlestar Galactica/Caprica.

For the first time since 1988 there are no major science fiction franchises left on television. After Stargate Universe finishes it's second season in 2011, what will happen to science fiction on television? Is science fiction on TV dying? Is there simply not enough money to add? Is your average citizen too stupid to understand science fiction? Do you think the upcoming Star Wars live-action series will be enough to save science fiction?

They murdered the Star Trek franchise when they started showing that crappy "Enterprise" series. Gene Roddenberry was probably spinning in his grave faster than a phonograph record over that piece of junk. Anyone trying to promote a new series will be told it's not viable because of the low ratings that garbage had. They'll be told "there's no fan base".

I hope there's a special circle of Hell reserved for the idiots that produced that piece of crap.

/rant over

Enterprise beat DS9 and Voyager....

I have to disagree. DS9 had better scripts and action scenes than any of the other series, and Voyager expanded the number of other species that Trek could have used in yet another series.

All Enterprise did was rehash the Vulcans, Andorians and Romulans over and over.

Ok we will jsut disagree, but imho Janeway sucked and so did the shows especially the comic relief.
Ship blown up pretty badly every show and pretty good shape the next show.

Ok we will jsut disagree, but imho Janeway sucked and so did the shows especially the comic relief.

Seems to me that NX-01 got beat up a few times too. Back out sailing the next week.

Seems to me that NX-01 got beat up a few times too. Back out sailing the next week.

They usually had to go somewhere to get it fixed.. Voyager was all alone and not even enough power for the food synthesizer so they had to get a comic relief cook guy Neelix.

Oh, and the concept of Voyager was great - flung to the far side of the Galaxy 70,000 light years from home - could have had a lot of fun with that. Almost the same premise as the original series...

What ever happened to scifi greats like Battle Beyond the Stars. With John Boy Walton flying a ship with tits.

Is science fiction on TV dying?

yes. its expensive to produce and original ideas are non-existent. it will probably slide into horror/phantasy.

Is your average citizen too stupid to understand science fiction?

no. most scifi on tv is brainless pap. star trek for example. the original series was actually lousy. nxgen, mainly rubbish.

Do you think the upcoming Star Wars live-action series will be enough to save science fiction?

is star wars scifi? maybe. little science a lot of fiction.

scifi literature is still doing ok but the recent death of ac clarke removed the greatest scifi author since h g wells.

No Star Trek.
No Stargate.
No Babylon 5.
No Battlestar Galactica/Caprica.

For the first time since 1988 there are no major science fiction franchises left on television. After Stargate Universe finishes it's second season in 2011, what will happen to science fiction on television? Is science fiction on TV dying? Is there simply not enough money to add? Is your average citizen too stupid to understand science fiction? Do you think the upcoming Star Wars live-action series will be enough to save science fiction?

Science Fiction is more expensive then most other programing because of CGI special effects. Reality programing is what we seem to be stuck with because it's much less expensive and takes little or no imagination.

Personally I think television is going to be obsolete pretty soon. The only time I watch it is for news and sports. The rest of it is a total waste of time. I don't like watching movies on TV because of all of the stupid commercials.

Forum List

Back