Is it wrong to pray for rain

Really? Where were these Baal gods of rain when Jezebel and her prophets of Baal needed them? There was a drought in the land of Israel for over 3 years so where were they? Asleep?

No. There is only one God and he is the one we pray to -for all our needs - including rain. The God of Israel - He alone is God.
There are no gods. Yhwh is a repurposed Canaanite god of war and storms. That can most clearly be seen through his relationship to Asherah. Originally she was his mother and the wife of El. When Yhwh became identified with El she became his wife. Eventually her cult was destroyed by the Yhwhists. Rain is a product of the water cycle and has nothing to do with any of this. It rains when there's a sufficient amount of water in the air.

To alleviate, temporarily, the effects of global warming?

Or is Jesus all like, I tried to warn you to take care of the earth.

Suppose you have a garden, Ravi. The garden is in need of rain and your water is cut off due to a pipe bursting. You are told it will take weeks for a repairman to come. Can you pray for rain? Of course you can! You do not have to pray for your entire city to have rain! God will answer prayer to meet your need without your asking that it be met for the entire community. The very suggestion that God will not answer a prayer for a single individual is preposterous!! Yes! You can pray for rain! Glory to God!

Ravi could pray that her broken pipe gets fixed sooner.
She can self water until the pipe is fixed.

Why wait when she can pray for rain? If she is a born again Christian abiding in Christ? She can ask whatever she will and it shall be done unto her. Jesus said so.

and sadly you believe that

To alleviate, temporarily, the effects of global warming? Or is Jesus all like, I tried to warn you to take care of the earth.
Dude, where you been! It's totally all about "Global Cooling" now! A Mini Ice Age is coming!

Run for your lives! :ack-1:

No, but it won't do anything. (And I say this as a sky worshipper.)

What do you mean by sky worshiper?
Veneration would probably be a more accurate term. It was there providing for our ancestors before we were born. It will be there providing for our children's children long after we die. Obviously it's not living or sentient in any way but that still merits a respectful attitude.

I asked because many Native American tribes have sky Gods.

Really? Where were these Baal gods of rain when Jezebel and her prophets of Baal needed them? There was a drought in the land of Israel for over 3 years so where were they? Asleep?

No. There is only one God and he is the one we pray to -for all our needs - including rain. The God of Israel - He alone is God.

and putting naphtha and lime powder on wood might make some believe that water ignites wood spontaneously.

You want rain? go learn how from the UEA. It is very costly but it can be done.

No god, no prayers, just science

You call on your god and I'll call on my God. We'll see which one answers.

Suppose you have a garden, Ravi. The garden is in need of rain and your water is cut off due to a pipe bursting. You are told it will take weeks for a repairman to come. Can you pray for rain? Of course you can! You do not have to pray for your entire city to have rain! God will answer prayer to meet your need without your asking that it be met for the entire community. The very suggestion that God will not answer a prayer for a single individual is preposterous!! Yes! You can pray for rain! Glory to God!

Why wait when she can pray for rain? If she is a born again Christian abiding in Christ? She can ask whatever she will and it shall be done unto her. Jesus said so.

and sadly you believe that

Sadly you do not.

Veneration would probably be a more accurate term. It was there providing for our ancestors before we were born. It will be there providing for our children's children long after we die. Obviously it's not living or sentient in any way but that still merits a respectful attitude.

and putting naphtha and lime powder on wood might make some believe that water ignites wood spontaneously.

You want rain? go learn how from the UEA. It is very costly but it can be done.

No god, no prayers, just science

You call on your god and I'll call on my God. We'll see which one answers.

I don't call on god

As long as you don't do it dancing naked and beating a small drum.

As long as you don't do it dancing naked and beating a small drum.

Now if you wrap yourself in foil and go our dancing carrying a giant lightening rod...................

:)

FINE! She can pray for BOTH rain and getting the pipe fixed sooner!
In the meantime she can self water.

But wait....maybe God won't intervene in this one.
In the meantime she can self water.

No, but it won't do anything. (And I say this as a sky worshipper.)

Obviously the Baal gods didn't/don't answer prayer :)

Daily prayers Jews (well, you know, other Jews hehe) recite mentions rain.

"That I will give rain to your land, the early and the late rains,
that you may gather in your grain, your wine and your oil."

It's arrogant to believe we know more than our maker concerning when it should or should not rain. My teacher asked me not to. This is one of the few ways I have not disobeyed my teacher.

Daily prayers Jews (well, you know, other Jews hehe) recite mentions rain.

"That I will give rain to your land, the early and the late rains,
that you may gather in your grain, your wine and your oil."
Sigh...this is just a metaphor but nice try

Forum List

Back