Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?

people have been giving you evidence all throughout this thread. The last one I gave on USMB was the universe and everything in it including us exists when it shouldn't. How does one explain that?
Since it DOES exist, it SHOULD exist!!!!
If it shouldn't exist it wouldn't. DUH!

Haha. That is circular reasoning. A fallacy. You've been proven wrong.
Nope, the very FACT that the universe exists proves it is probable for the universe to exist. Only a pure idiot would argue that the very existence of the universe proves it shouldn't exist. :cuckoo:

More fallacious, circular thinking and ad hominems, edthecynic . Just more wrongness and idiocy from you.

Does the "fact" that a car exists mean that it is probable for another car to exist? No. It could be the very first car. How did it come to be? Once you figure out what it does and how it works, you'd think it was designed and created by someone. You'd find out it was made of metal, glass, leather, etc. and someone made these parts. Hawking thought this could not be, so had to make up something else by looking into the parts even more and figured out it was made of tiny particles that the eye couldn't see. He couldn't believe someone invisible could have made it, so thought under certain conditions these invisible particles could form into the parts and eventually the car. He thought people would not believe him so he said the car exists when it shouldn't exist.

people have been giving you evidence all throughout this thread. The last one I gave on USMB was the universe and everything in it including us exists when it shouldn't. How does one explain that?

And the logic behind claiming it shouldn't exist, therefore because it exists is proof of God, is sound logic?

That's how Stephen Hawking put it. He was trying to figure out why the universe, everything and us exist when it shouldn't. From his thoughts and actions in life, obviously he didn't believe in an invisible creator.

I didn't say it was proof of God, I said it was evidence. There is no proof. Otherwise, what is your explanation?

In case you didn't see the link to his paper, here it is again -- The Origin of the Universe.

Nope, the very FACT that the universe exists proves it is probable for the universe to exist. Only a pure idiot would argue that the very existence of the universe proves it shouldn't exist. :cuckoo:

More fallacious, circular thinking and ad hominems, edthecynic . Just more wrongness and idiocy from you.

Does the "fact" that a car exists mean that it is probable for another car to exist? No. It could be the very first car. How did it come to be? Once you figure out what it does and how it works, you'd think it was designed and created by someone. You'd find out it was made of metal, glass, leather, etc. and someone made these parts. Hawking thought this could not be, so had to make up something else by looking into the parts even more and figured out it was made of tiny particles that the eye couldn't see. He couldn't believe someone invisible could have made it, so thought under certain conditions these invisible particles could form into the parts and eventually the car. He thought people would not believe him so he said the car exists when it shouldn't exist.
The very fact that something exists belies the claim that it shouldn't exist. DUH!

The very fact that something exists belies the claim that it shouldn't exist. DUH!

You're assuming the facts. Then God exists and atheists end up going to Gehenna.

You're assuming the facts. Then God exists and atheists end up going to Gehenna.
prove the existence of God and Gehenna.

prove the existence of God and Gehenna.

You are not reading and understanding. There is no proof, just evidence. Proof isn't just to convince one person, but all non-believers. In order to convince "all" non-believers, i.e. 100% consensus, the only way I know how to do that is through pain and suffering. And in the Bible, this is what's written about Gehenna and what happens to non-believers in the afterlife. One needs faith to believe in God, the supernatural (Genesis only) and the Bible.

If we do not assume something just popped into existence from tiny, tiny particles that we can't see under special conditions, then something had to cause it to happen. This is what Hawking could not explain. He could not explain why it happened. He could only explain how it happened, but not everyone agreed with him because it does not happen with larger invisible particles. Thus, he ended up saying that the universe, everything in it and us exist, but it should not exist. There had to be a cause and it had to overcome the physics of how larger particles act. This is the evidence for God.

the very FACT that the universe exists proves it is probable for the universe to exist.
Brilliant :rofl:

What makes you think it shouldn't exist?
The 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Is the entropy of the universe decreasing?
No. Increasing. But you are on the wrong track.

"The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the state of entropy of the entire universe, as an isolated system, will always increase over time. The second law also states that the changes in the entropy in the universe can never be negative."

Brilliant :rofl:

"The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the state of entropy of the entire universe, as an isolated system, will always increase over time. The second law also states that the changes in the entropy in the universe can never be negative."
And? So what?

When was the entropy of the universe equal to zero?

And? So what?

I never said it was. But you claimed the 2nd law of thermodynamics proved something.

I don't believe it is possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory because there is no affirmative case for atheism. The only argument of atheism is to argue against religion and to criticize religion.

So my question is... Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?
LOL- not this again!
As an atheist I can criticize any religion of course- but I don't need to argue against religion to be an Atheist.

I just don't believe in any of your fairy tales- nothing more complicated than that. I have no grand critical theory- I just don't believe in the tales you tell each other.

Hell you 'religionists' can't even agree on a common theme- you argue between yourself about which is the true god or gods- without any critical evidence that any gods ever existed.

I don't have to argue against religion to just not believe in leprechauns or unicorns or Thor or Coyote or God.

Why worry about people who don't believe that a supreme being exists? Why worry that there are some people who simply do not know? Why worry about people who think that more than one god/goddess exists?

Nobody is keeping you from your thoughts.
Yeah I dont get Dings perpetual assault on people who don't share his belief in fairy tales.

Personally I don't care what fairy tales he believes in- but he sure takes exception to my not joining his little club.

And? So what?

I never said it was. But you claimed the 2nd law of thermodynamics proved something.
Yes. I did. I can’t put anything past you.

Forum List

Back