Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?

No. Like not believing in the spiritual. Spirit is the opposite of material. Atheists are materialists.

Your circular logic is ridiculous.

You say, since I am an atheist I cannot believe in the incorporeal. In fact, you insist on it. And since you insist, despite my words to the contrary, that I cannot be an atheist and believe in the incorporeal, I have to be a materialist. It all depends on you redefining what it means to be an atheist. For your purposes, you have to insist that "atheist" means more than someone who does not believe in god.
Not exactly. I said atheists cannot believe that the incorporeal cannot have incorporeal origins because they don't believe in God. In other words, atheists believe that the incorporeal can have corporeal origins.

I'm not trying to redefine atheism. I am trying to show the logical consequence to not believing in God. One of which is that things like love are explained through evolutionary processes. In other words things like love are just electrochemical responses in the brain and nothing more. It only exists to further the species.

If you say that is what you believe, I will take your word for it.

Personally, there not being a god does not preclude incorporeal things existing. And if we do not know the origins of those incorporeal things, I will not suppose that their origins are corporeal.
I have no problem with your beliefs. I just don't believe it is consistent with atheism.

How about we agree to disagree?

So we should agree to disagree about MY beliefs? lol How generous of you.

I don't believe in any god. By definition, that makes me an atheist. The rest is just your song & dance.
No. My belief that all things, including mental aspects and consciousness, are results of material interactions is a foundational belief of atheism.

If you want to believe like I do that spiritualism does not originate from the corporeal but rather flows from something which is incorporeal, more power to you.

Your circular logic is ridiculous.

You say, since I am an atheist I cannot believe in the incorporeal. In fact, you insist on it. And since you insist, despite my words to the contrary, that I cannot be an atheist and believe in the incorporeal, I have to be a materialist. It all depends on you redefining what it means to be an atheist. For your purposes, you have to insist that "atheist" means more than someone who does not believe in god.
Not exactly. I said atheists cannot believe that the incorporeal cannot have incorporeal origins because they don't believe in God. In other words, atheists believe that the incorporeal can have corporeal origins.

I'm not trying to redefine atheism. I am trying to show the logical consequence to not believing in God. One of which is that things like love are explained through evolutionary processes. In other words things like love are just electrochemical responses in the brain and nothing more. It only exists to further the species.

Personally, there not being a god does not preclude incorporeal things existing. And if we do not know the origins of those incorporeal things, I will not suppose that their origins are corporeal.
I have no problem with your beliefs. I just don't believe it is consistent with atheism.

I don't believe in any god. By definition, that makes me an atheist. The rest is just your song & dance.
No. My belief that all things, including mental aspects and consciousness, are results of material interactions is a foundational belief of atheism.

If you want to believe like I do that spiritualism does not originate from the corporeal but rather flows from something which is incorporeal, more power to you.

It may be a foundational belief for some atheists. But not all. It is not a foundational belief for me. I know of at least 3 other people who are atheists who agree with me. Just because some atheist website says that does not mean all atheists believe that way. I could post links for websites for Christians who are in favor of same sex marriage. Does that mean all Christians are in favor of same sex marriage?

You want to take a singular definition of atheism and make it fit what you want it to fit.

It may be a foundational belief for some atheists. But not all. It is not a foundational belief for me. I know of at least 3 other people who are atheists who agree with me. Just because some atheist website says that does not mean all atheists believe that way. I could post links for websites for Christians who are in favor of same sex marriage. Does that mean all Christians are in favor of same sex marriage?

You want to take a singular definition of atheism and make it fit what you want it to fit.
I'm not defining atheism.

So... I am kind of curious if you guys appreciated my use of critical theory?

By insisting that atheists cannot believe in incorporeal things without requiring that they have corporeal origins is redefining atheism.

Then your use of the word, throughout this thread, is essentially meaningless. If you can't commit to specific meaning for the word "atheism", your comments about it don't add up to much.

By insisting that atheists cannot believe in incorporeal things without requiring that they have corporeal origins is redefining atheism.
From my perspective that would be what you are doing. But I am all for atheists believing in the incorporeal like me.

Then your use of the word, throughout this thread, is essentially meaningless. If you can't commit to specific meaning for the word "atheism", your comments about it don't add up to much.
Ummm.... that's what you guys are doing, but I am way cool with it.

Are you going for that kind of Keanu Reeves, dimwit irony schtick? Or just lying again?

Of course we've been very clear: 'atheist' - a person who doesn't believe in gods. That's it.

But you keep trying to dress it up in one stereotype or another, equivocating over them all. I'm surprised you haven't tried to pin satanic influence on atheists yet. Did that one get shuffled to the bottom?

Human intelligence is surely already capable of finding a response to the question of origins. The existence of God the Creator can be known with certainty through his works, by the light of human reason,122even if this knowledge is often obscured and disfigured by error. This is why faith comes to confirm and enlighten reason in the correct understanding of this truth: "By faith we understand that the world was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was made out of things which do not appear."123
Pure Christian metaphysical jabberwocky.

Again, human intelligence can see how material existence begets essence, but there is no real world example of the nonphysical begetting the material. All a metaphysicist can do is pontificate works of God (essence) which can only be seen by faith.

That's right, you are defining existentialism.

I don't think so. More like God Lite. All of the emotional comfort of believing in God and none of the less pleasant consequences.

Human intelligence is surely already capable of finding a response to the question of origins. The existence of God the Creator can be known with certainty through his works, by the light of human reason,122even if this knowledge is often obscured and disfigured by error. This is why faith comes to confirm and enlighten reason in the correct understanding of this truth: "By faith we understand that the world was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was made out of things which do not appear."123
Pure Christian metaphysical jabberwocky.

Again, human intelligence can see how material existence begets essence, but there is no real world example of the nonphysical begetting the material. All a metaphysicist can do is pontificate works of God (essence) which can only be seen by faith.
287 The truth about creation is so important for all of human life that God in his tenderness wanted to reveal to his People everything that is salutary to know on the subject. Beyond the natural knowledge that every man can have of the Creator,124 God progressively revealed to Israel the mystery of creation. He who chose the patriarchs, who brought Israel out of Egypt, and who by choosing Israel created and formed it, this same God reveals himself as the One to whom belong all the peoples of the earth, and the whole earth itself; he is the One who alone "made heaven and earth".125

Catechism of the Catholic Church - The Creator

Ummm.... that's what you guys are doing, but I am way cool with it.

Are you going for that kind of Keanu Reeves, dimwit irony schtick? Or just lying again?

Of course we've been very clear: 'atheist' - a person who doesn't believe in gods. That's it.

But you keep trying to dress it up in one stereotype or another, equivocating over them all. I'm surprised you haven't tried to pin satanic influence on atheists yet. Did that one get shuffled to the bottom?
No. Atheists don't believe in any consciousness outside of material beings.You are recoiling from the bed you made for yourself. You want to see a higher meaning to your existence than your belief system will allow. You want the best of both worlds. It's the in between view of Life-Force. As C.S. Lewis put it, "...all the emotional comfort of believing in God and none of the less pleasant consequences. When you are feeling fit and the sun is shining and you do not want to believe that the whole universe is a mere mechanical dance of atoms, it is nice to be able to think of this great mysterious Force rolling on through the centuries and carrying you on its crest. If, on the other hand, you want to do something rather shabby, the Life-Force, being only a blind force, with no morals and no mind, will never interfere with you like that troublesome God we learned about when we were children. The Life-Force is a sort of tame God. You can switch it on when you want, but it will not bother you. All the thrills of religion and none of the cost. Is the Life-Force the greatest achievement of wishful thinking the world has yet seen?"

I don't think so. More like God Lite. All of the emotional comfort of believing in God and none of the less pleasant consequences.
Your complete and utter ignorance is showing.

The truth about creation is so important for all of human life that God in his tenderness wanted to reveal to his People everything that is salutary to know on the subject.
1Sa 15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Is 13: 15 Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword.
16 Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.

Good for you. That’s the spirit.
you are like the people hundreds of years ago that believed in witches/ghosts
and comets/etc were supernatural

No. The supernatural is only in Genesis. The Bible tells us to not believe in witches, ghosts and what??? comets haha. It includes fortune tellers, mediums and the like who want your money.
you people believe in a fairy tale--plain and simple

How can it be a fairy tale when we discovered the Bible and Dead Sea Scrolls and it is classified as a non-fiction book. We know Greek gods were fairy tales? Do you even know how we know haha?
you believe in a sky fairy

Backup your claim.

Greeks had their gods even though they were one of the earliest pioneers of science. These stories included some science. Yet, we were able to prove their stories of gods were mythology.

Ancient humans made tools and used them. That's written in the Bible as part of ancient history. Doesn't making and using tools involve science haha?

Last edited:
So my question is... Is it possible for atheism to ever be anything more than critical theory?

That would still make it more logical than your religion

dont_tase_me_bro_zpsrlxo8jer.gif

I made this many moons ago, but your handle and comment reminded me of it.

So I asked the question again, can you name a single thing you completely believe in without a shred of evidence outside the occult?
This is the point I was making. Atheism and Religion are on equal footing. Both are beliefs without a shred of evidence. But which is more likely?

It's like saying the center of the moon is made from soft and gooey Philadelphia cream cheese. While I can't prove it is, you can't prove it isn't. But which is more likely? That it is or it isn't?

you are like the people hundreds of years ago that believed in witches/ghosts
and comets/etc were supernatural

No. The supernatural is only in Genesis. The Bible tells us to not believe in witches, ghosts and what??? comets haha. It includes fortune tellers, mediums and the like who want your money.
you people believe in a fairy tale--plain and simple

How can it be a fairy tale when we discovered the Bible and Dead Sea Scrolls and it is classified as a non-fiction book. We know Greek gods were fairy tales? Do you even know how we know haha?
you believe in a sky fairy

Backup your claim.

Greeks had their gods even though they were one of the earliest pioneers of science. Yet, we were able to prove their stories of gods were mythology.

Ancient humans made tools and used them. That's written in the Bible as part of ancient history. Doesn't making and using tools involve science haha?
how many times do I have to say it
YOU people claim there is a god
yours is the INITIAL claim
it's up to YOU to prove your claim
just like in a court system

Forum List

Back