Is it ok for a church to knowingly break one of the 10 Commandments?

You demonstrate the vast distinction between merely reading and reading comprehension. You are referencing Christian translations of the Hebrew Bible, not a very good idea. The Tanakh merely stipulates that a man who makes the decision to have sex with a virgin is responsible for her well-being by marrying her since non-virgins were not marriageable in ancient times

Not very complicated, after all :clap2:

I give up, no matter how many times basic questions are asked you refuse to answer them.

That's what I usually encounter when someone is so fundamentalist (YouWereCreated, Sunni Man, yourself) they absolutely refuse to admit anything in their holy books are immoral. I could list dozens and dozens of inhuman and immoral things in the Old Testament and you'd deflect either with a childish insult/a non-answer/or my personal favorite a justification of the immorality.

You've been pwned. You were clueless of the correct reading of your own biblical citation.

Now, walk away

Well I'm glad you were able to crown yourself victor, I'm sure you find yourself doing that VERY often.

Have a great weekend.

Fair enough, but there's plenty of instances in the OT where rape is encouraged in some instances, so I'm sure the old men who thought up the Bible didn't worry too much about the outcome for the women involved.

I disagree [somewhat]. While rape was seen as a conquesters right, or some such non-sense, keep in mind, if you and I were different tribes, we considered each other to be lesser beings and not fully "human". So raping your women wasn't a crime while raping one of my own may have dire consequences.

Well you agreed with me there, not disagreed. If you encourage raping the women of who you conquested than you have no issue with the principle of rape and how it affects the women who were raped.

You are intellectually too weak to discern the distinction between forcible rape and statutory rape/consensual sex. The Tanakh stipulates that a man who engaged in consensual sex with a virgin is responsible for her well-being since non-virgins were unmarriagable.

Are you retarded or just a basic simpleton?

Last edited:
Mark 10:9-12 NIV - Therefore what God has joined together, - Bible Gateway

Mark 10:9-12
New International Version (NIV)

9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11 He answered, “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.”

Exodus 20:14 NIV - You shall not - Bible Gateway

Exodus 20:14

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

The first quote is from Jesus in the New Testament, so there's no getting around it, no gray area, no need for interpretation.

Are you ok with a church performing someone's 2nd+ marriage, that wasn't to his/her original wife/husband?

My late brother-in-law was an ordained Church of God minister.
He divorced his first wife and several years later re-married.
He was almost "de-frocked", for lack of a better word.

In order to abide by the Word of the Law about adultery, he and his new wife wouldn't have sex until his first wife passed away (her first husband was already dead).

Should a church perform second weddings? Sure.
It doesn't become a sin of adultery until sex happens.
It's not an unforgivable sin, either.

In the case of a preacher or minister, no unless it passes the elders, as they're held to a higher standard. It's hard to hold one's credibility with your congregation if you're "living in sin".

I equate it as similar to gay marriage. The marriage, itself, isn't the sin. The sex is the sin.

:cool:

Fair enough, but there's plenty of instances in the OT where rape is encouraged in some instances, so I'm sure the old men who thought up the Bible didn't worry too much about the outcome for the women involved.

I disagree [somewhat]. While rape was seen as a conquesters right, or some such non-sense, keep in mind, if you and I were different tribes, we considered each other to be lesser beings and not fully "human". So raping your women wasn't a crime while raping one of my own may have dire consequences.

Well you agreed with me there, not disagreed. If you encourage raping the women of who you conquested than you have no issue with the principle of rape and how it affects the women who were raped.

Except for when it comes to your own women.

Keep in mind, women held just a slightly lesser standard back in those days. so If I raped one of your women, you would hunt me down and extract a far more severe justice than had a member of your tribe raped one of your women.

Vastly different times and meanings to words.

I give up, no matter how many times basic questions are asked you refuse to answer them.

That's what I usually encounter when someone is so fundamentalist (YouWereCreated, Sunni Man, yourself) they absolutely refuse to admit anything in their holy books are immoral. I could list dozens and dozens of inhuman and immoral things in the Old Testament and you'd deflect either with a childish insult/a non-answer/or my personal favorite a justification of the immorality.

You've been pwned. You were clueless of the correct reading of your own biblical citation.

Now, walk away

Well I'm glad you were able to crown yourself victor, I'm sure you find yourself doing that VERY often.

Have a great weekend.

I take no pride in humiliating the mentally challenged. It would be like Mike Tyson boasting of beating the shit out of a 97 lb weakling.

Now, walk away

Then explain what the quoted passage means or admit you don't have a clue.

*ahem*

Explain the passage or be declared pwned.

10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11 He answered, “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.”

The first quote is from Jesus in the New Testament, so there's no getting around it, no gray area, no need for interpretation.

Are you ok with a church performing someone's 2nd+ marriage, that wasn't to his/her original wife/husband?

Desperate to prove your complete ignorance of all things Biblical again?

1. That is not one of the 10 Commandments.
  2. Many churches do not perform second weddings unless they meet specific, and very narrow, criteria.
  3. What other people do is not germane to my relationship with God.

2. Many churches do not perform second weddings unless they meet specific, and very narrow, criteria.

Where's the gray area? That seems to be one of the most cut and dry things in the Bible, remarriage=adultery and don't commit adulter.

The question was for the churches who do knowingly break this commandment, not the ones who don't.

I know it isn't, that's not the question, is it right or is it wrong for the ones who perform them?

Where's the gray area? That seems to be one of the most cut and dry things in the Bible, remarriage=adultery and don't commit adulter.

The question was for the churches who do knowingly break this commandment, not the ones who don't.

I know it isn't, that's not the question, is it right or is it wrong for the ones who perform them?

You do not have a problem seeing a gray area when it comes to things you support, why should others not have the same ability to rationalize?

I do not debate doctrine with people until they understand it, you do not,

:bsflag:

You have not cited one of 10 commandments. . Further more a hell of a lot of people do not get religious marriages.

If it REALLY bothers someone they are free to move to a Country that outlaws divorce.

If a Church knowingly hides a felon priest pedophile, I don't know what commandment that is, but it must be breaking one. Preaching politics from the pulpit must be breaking some commandment, (at least it breaks the law).

Last edited:

Yes.

King James Version (KJV)

9What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
10And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.
11And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
12And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Matthew 5:31-32
King James Version (KJV)

31It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

1 Corinthians 7:15
King James Version (KJV)
15But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

See how different the verses are from different Bibles?

You do not have a problem seeing a gray area when it comes to things you support, why should others not have the same ability to rationalize?

By all means please enlighten me, since your interpretations of the Bible are superior to others, I'd like to hear it.

Go through those quotes and tell me where the grey area is.

By all means please enlighten me, since your interpretations of the Bible are superior to others, I'd like to hear it.

We are not talking about my anything, we are talking about your hypocrisy in wanting to hold other people to a standard you do not maintain yourself.

We are not talking about my anything, we are talking about your hypocrisy in wanting to hold other people to a standard you do not maintain yourself.

Interesting how far we've deflected from the simplest of questions.

My simple, cut and dry, obvious question in the OP somehow, someway gets spun into what standard I maintain for myself.

I understand you don't want to answer the question in the OP, which is why it makes it puzzling that you'd even post in the thread.

Last edited:
Christians only want to discuss:

a) Abortion

b) Gays

c) The state of YOUR immortal soul.

That's it. If it doesn't fit into one of those three subjects, then you wind up with threads like this one.

Forum List

Back