Is it ok for a church to knowingly break one of the 10 Commandments?

Did you never read the Old Testament?

When not posting gibberish on message boards, you're a Biblical scholar?

Maybe, take baby steps and read the 10 Commandments that command the respect of women

Maybe, take baby steps and read the 10 Commandments that command the respect of women

The Old Testament says rape victims should be forced to marry their rapist.

Now if you're saying we should reject the Old Testament, we're in total agreement.

Now if you're saying we should reject the Old Testament, we're in total agreement.

Trolling the nazi websites, skinhead?

That was cute, is that your way of denying the Old Testament says that? Do you want me to provide the link and show you the chaper and verse?

Mark 10:9-12 NIV - Therefore what God has joined together, - Bible Gateway

Mark 10:9-12
New International Version (NIV)

9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11 He answered, “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.”

Exodus 20:14 NIV - You shall not - Bible Gateway

Exodus 20:14

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

The first quote is from Jesus in the New Testament, so there's no getting around it, no gray area, no need for interpretation.

Are you ok with a church performing someone's 2nd+ marriage, that wasn't to his/her original wife/husband?
Mathew 19 v;8 says the only reason for divorce is marital unfaithfulness. Adultery is the only excuse according to Jesus for divorce.

Lulz, I've read the Bible in its entirety, from cover to cover. I highly recommend that anyone interested in Christianity do just that, rather than the typical sunday cherry pick, as you appear to do. There's a whole hell of a lot more than just the 10 Commandments.

That was cute, is that your way of denying the Old Testament says that? Do you want me to provide the link and show you the chaper and verse?

I guess John Adams, a Founding Father, overlooked your nazi inventions when he praised Jewish ethics.

US President John Adams...
I will insist that the Hebrews have done more to civilize men than any other nation. If I were an atheist, and believed in blind eternal fate, I should still believe that fate had ordained the Jews to be the most essential instrument for civilizing the nations. If I were an atheist of the other sect, who believe, or pretend to believe that all is ordered by chance, I should believe that chance had ordered the Jews to preserve and propagate to all mankind the doctrine of a supreme, intelligent, wise, almighty sovereign of the universe, which I believe to be the great essential principle of all morality, and consequently of all civilization.

Mark 10:9-12 NIV - Therefore what God has joined together, - Bible Gateway

Mark 10:9-12

9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11 He answered, “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery.”

Exodus 20:14 NIV - You shall not - Bible Gateway

Exodus 20:14

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

The first quote is from Jesus in the New Testament, so there's no getting around it, no gray area, no need for interpretation.

Are you ok with a church performing someone's 2nd+ marriage, that wasn't to his/her original wife/husband?

Quick point of order there chumpsteak............

First, you DO realize that Yeshua was Jewish, right?

Second, you DO realize that there were provisions in Judaic law for divorce, right?

If the divorce was granted legally, what's the problem?

Firstly NIV is a political correct Edition adopted for Liberals and Homosexuals, if you quote the Holy Bible you must to use only KJV.

Secondly Apostasy is already predicted in the Bible, more as 90 % of all Churches are already dead.

The works of "priests" - homers or pedophiles are therefore unimportant, they have their places in Hell sure.

Homers?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Lulz, I've read the Bible in its entirety, from cover to cover. I highly recommend that anyone interested in Christianity do just that, rather than the typical sunday cherry pick, as you appear to do. There's a whole hell of a lot more than just the 10 Commandments.

Reading and reading comprehension are two entirely distinct issues. You clearly are incapable of the latter.

Reading and reading comprehension are two entirely distinct issues. You clearly are incapable of the latter.

And you are clearly mentally incapable of comprehending the fact that biblical scholars have had different perceptions of what the Bible actually says ever since it was written.

Translation: Him not agreeing with you does not make him wrong.

And you are clearly mentally incapable of comprehending the fact that biblical scholars have had different perceptions of what the Bible actually says ever since it was written.

When you are able to form a coherent thought, check back.

Again. Your inability to comprehend speaks to your shortcomings. Not mine.

It is a good question.

I didn't think my mother would approve my husband, since I was his second wife. But she said that since his first essentially set him aside, and he fought it for two years, he was free to remarry.

Just as I assume I would be, as he set me aside.

My perspective is I think divorce is immoral if you have kids together, but I don't think remarriage is immoral.

Staying in an abusive marriage when you have kids is immoral. Staying together for the sake of your religion when the marriage is toxic and abusive is religious abuse.

Very true....i don't believe God would punish someone for leaving an abusive situation! If it were me with kids and we were in danger, you bet your life we'd be gone!

I think God was talking about married couples that become selfish and just decide they don't want to be married anymore. And God is looking at the ones that commit adultry during their marriage and just give up on their marriage without trying to redeem themselves and make the marriage work.

I was always under the impression that God would never give you more than you could handle. i.e. abusive relationships. Check out the "Footprints" essay.

I was always under the impression that God would never give you more than you could handle. i.e. abusive relationships. Check out the "Footprints" essay.

Oh, look. My brain just 'sploded.

Do you remember that joke about the guy on the roof who sent away everybody that came to rescue him? He said God was going to do it. He gets to heaven, and asks what was up with that. God heaves a deep sigh and says "I sent a boat, I sent a helicopter ... "

Women die at the hands of abusive men. I'm thinkin God dropped the ball on the "more than you can handle" front.

Again. Your inability to comprehend speaks to your shortcomings. Not mine.

Coming from a mental midget. Thanks for the snicker:lol:

Actually, there are three Biblical positions with respect to divorce. In the Old Testament, it was permissible for a man to divorce his wife and for both to remarry. Her is what the OT says:

“When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife. And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife; Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance” (Deuteronomy 24:1-4, KJV).

According to Matthew, during the Sermon on the Mountain Jesus instructs his listeners in a manner which is contrary to the Mosaic laws:

“It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery” (Matthew 5:31-32, KJV).

Later, according to Matthew, the Pharisees questioned Jesus about the inconsistency between His statements and the Mosaic laws pertaining to divorce:

“The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause? And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

“They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery” (Matthew 19:3-9, KJV).

The rules for divorce set forth in Matthew are much more limited than those in the OT. However, the Book of Mark goes even further by denying any excuse for divorce:

“And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him. And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept. But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

“And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter. And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery” (Mark 10:2-12, KJV).

In summary, according to the OT, a man could give his wife a bill of divorcement for almost any reason and both were then free to remarry. According to Matthew, the only justification for divorce was fornication (most Biblical scholars conclude fornication meant adultery). However, according to Mark, divorce was not permitted for any reason.

I guess John Adams, a Founding Father, overlooked your nazi inventions when he praised Jewish ethics.

US President John Adams...
I will insist that the Hebrews have done more to civilize men than any other nation. If I were an atheist, and believed in blind eternal fate, I should still believe that fate had ordained the Jews to be the most essential instrument for civilizing the nations. If I were an atheist of the other sect, who believe, or pretend to believe that all is ordered by chance, I should believe that chance had ordered the Jews to preserve and propagate to all mankind the doctrine of a supreme, intelligent, wise, almighty sovereign of the universe, which I believe to be the great essential principle of all morality, and consequently of all civilization.

A good deflection attempt, but what do I care what John Adams said?

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT - Suppose a man has intercourse with a - Bible Gateway

28 “Suppose a man has intercourse with a young woman who is a virgin but is not engaged to be married. If they are discovered, 29 he must pay her father fifty pieces of silver.[a] Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he may never divorce her as long as he lives.

Now a simple yes or no answer will do, do you find this passage to be morally acceptable? A rape victim forced to marry her rapist?

Forum List

Back