Is it immoral to have children knowing you can not provide them a decent life?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by blu, Apr 10, 2012.

1. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    If a person plans to have a child knowing that the kid(s) will not be provided a reasonable life (talking USA standards here) -- good education, not worrying about housing/food/clothes, access to opportunities to really exceed in life, etc, is that person making an immoral choice and should they be held accountable for it?

If I was unable to have a good paying job, and I knew that by having a kid I would be dooming that person to a life of struggle, pain, and a great likelihood of not accomplishing much (and probably turning criminal, etc), how could I say I really loved that child? What would I tell him when he or she is older and asks why I put them through such struggles?

2. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,028
    Yes it is immoral to have children you can't afford.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I think it's more immoral to pretend you are not having children for the child's sake and not so you can indulge in your own lifestyle.

4. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    these are two different things

5. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,100
    Having children born in poverty is certainly not immoral.
    Having children born in poverty and you do nothing to help your situation and therefore look to improve your childs life is immoral.
    When my wife and I married we didn't have much. We lived in a $12,000 4 room home. I was just beginning to get a career going and only made about $350 a week, my wife at the time barely made $300 a week. We had two children. We're we immoral? No. Because I worked my ass off to get better opportunities and I did.
    However, if I never set out to improve my family's lot...lived off the government dole and was still broke - I wouldn't be worth the amount of work plants have to do to provide the oxygen I breathe.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Leweman

Leweman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +737
    Well it's immoral to have sex then, knowing that you can't afford the children it may produce.

7. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    What's immoral is having children and then demanding someone else support them. People have been having children they can't afford since people have been having children.

8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Methinks some people miss the point, or just don't grasp the perspective required by morality.

Having children is never, in and of itself, "immoral". And there is no particular standard of living that is "immoral" OR "moral" in and of itself.

It is immoral to be fucking around when you are not prepared or intending to take responsibility for the possible consequences. And it is immoral, once you have children, not to put them at the top of your priority list and do everything in your power to provide for at least their basic needs.

9. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,100
    I think that is what the OP meant. Having children without the means to support their basic needs is incredibly thoughtless.
    Having children with minimal needs met but plans to work hard and better yourself is not at all wrong..perfect in fact.
    I think the gist is what a person is/is not doing to provide better for their family.

10. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Kinda hard to figure out if you are going to be a good parent until you do it.