Is it fair to have pit bulls around other people?

Is it fair to have pit bulls around other people?

• Yes. It does the people no harm.

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No. Never, unless the people say they don't mind.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Not around kids but around adults it's okay.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
☭proletarian☭;1915126 said:
They are the preferred breed for drug dealers and thugs. I would like to see a dog registry at the police station so they have a list of homes to watch.
Translation : Black people like them so lets take out our hatred on their dogs.

Are you saying the phrases 'drug dealers and thugs' and 'black people' are equivalent? :eusa_eh:

Very astute. That's exactly what she is saying.

It seemed pointless to continue reading your mindless babbling on the subject and watching you ignore points that others made.

Don't worry, I'm working tirelessly to ban the breeding of pit bulls in my county.

IMO, breeding pit bulls is animal cruelty since so many of them must be put down because of the danger to the public they pose.

:)
I realize it would kill you to admit I was right about anything concerning pit bulls, but how is it you 've barely responded to or acknowledged any of the quite legitimate points Coyote has made? She is clearly very well informed and knowledgeable, not to mention very articulate on the subject.
Are you too close-minded to consider that she has made some valid points?

The car thing is still irrelevant, but if you wish to get them banned, more power to you.

I'm curious though, if people often call dogs that aren't pit bulls pit bulls, how do we know the population of pit bulls in the US?:eusa_eh:

I'd like to know that too. I'd also like to know how they know that "pit bulls" or Rottweilers or whatever breed is listed in stats on dog attacks are actually the breed they are labeled with. Usually these stats are based on police reports. I wonder what criteria police are using to determine the breed of a dog?

You complain of a neighbor's pit bull who makes you nervous. How do you even know it's a pit bull?

Did you take this test?

FIND THE PITBULL
Only one of the pictures below features the real American PitBull Terrier. Take the test to see if you can find it. To find the breed of a dog, click on image. Note there are no mixes or rescue dogs of unknown background who's breed could be debated. All dogs have been picked from breeders' websites and should be good representatives of their breed.
When you are done, ask your family and friends to take to test and watch the results. For many people, a Pit Bull is a a big headed dog, or a dog with cropped ears. For some it's a brindle dog, a big, stocky dog, or one with an eye patch.
Quite often dogs that attack are identified as pit bulls when they are not. There are 20+ breeds that are commonly incorrectly identified as pit bulls. Visit Understand-a-bull for more information.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

One more reason why breed specific laws are ineffective.

The owners say the dogs are pits and I believe them.

Coyote made some points but she didn't convince me that pits aren't bred to be vicious. Quite the opposite, in fact, she agreed that they were.

Coyote made some points but she didn't convince me that pits aren't bred to be vicious. Quite the opposite, in fact, she agreed that they were.
She said SOME are whereas you this ALL are. She points out that very few actually are and that it's inconclusive if this selective breeding for viciousness actually works. She also makes a very good point that any breed of dog is at risk for attempts to breed it for viciousness and there is no reason to believe that if it can be done to pit it can't be done to any other type of dog.

She also makes other points about how training and care play a much bigger part in a dog's chances for becoming a vicious dog than breed does.

Anyhow, that's what I understood her to have said.

Rottweilers have just as bad a reputation and are certainly as strong as pit bulls. Why aren't you calling to have that breed made illegal?

How about the test I linked to? Does not the fact that it is very difficult to identify which dogs are actually pit bulls and which are separate breeds that resemble them make breed specific laws ineffectual? What do you do in the case of mixed breeds? Does any dog with any amount of pit bull blood count as a pit pit bull? Just like octaroons where considered black in the South?

Rots don't have the same rep as much as you may wish it so.
So says you. I hear people express the same anxieties about Rotties as they do about pits. In fact, I remember Rottweilers had as bad a rep in popular culture as pit bull do before pit bulls became the latest popular. Before that it was Dobermans and before that German Shepherds.

"The portrayal of Rottweilers as evil dogs in several fictional films and TV series, most notably in The Omen, and negative press has added to their negative publicity. This has led to Rottweilers being banned in some municipalities and are sometimes targeted as dangerous dogs by legislation, such as in the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal and the Republic of Ireland. "
Rottweiler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardless of all that, concerning reputation, why would you base your opinion concerning the legitimacy of breed specific laws on rumors and fear mongering? Why not base it on scientific knowledge and the recommendations of experts such as veterinary and medical associations, SPAs, the CDC and other reliable experts, all who have spoken out against breed specific laws for reasons of ineficacy and cruelty to animals ?

Oh my! A movie turned Rots into pit bull like killers.

:rofl:
That's all you can say?
Well, you have to admit that your proof that Rots are dangerous because a movie said they are is beyond retarded.

Heck, we are now in RGS territory.

:cuckoo:
I've never said they were dangerous nor did I provide proof that they are. I only pointed out they had a reputation for being dangerous and proof of that reputation, since reputation rather than facts is the only thing you base your opinions on.

Last edited:
How about the test I linked to? Does not the fact that it is very difficult to identify which dogs are actually pit bulls and which are separate breeds that resemble them make breed specific laws ineffectual? What do you do in the case of mixed breeds? Does any dog with any amount of pit bull blood count as a pit pit bull? Just like octaroons where considered black in the South?
No response to this post, Ravi?

That's all you can say?
Well, you have to admit that your proof that Rots are dangerous because a movie said they are is beyond retarded.

Heck, we are now in RGS territory.

:cuckoo:
I've never said they were dangerous nor did I provide proof that they are. I only pointed out they had a reputation for being dangerous and proof of that reputation, since reputation rather than facts is the only thing you base your opinions on.

Rots are dangerous. They're HELLA dangerous.

However, they aren't a terrier. That's the pit bull's thing. They're a big, very strong terrier. That makes them dangerous. I own a 10 lb terrier (Parson Russell Terrorist) and she scares everyone.

"Atlanta Journal Constitution

October 11, 2002, KENNESAW, GA - (Abstract) A 23-month-old Kennesaw girl was killed Thursday by her family's Rottweilers while her parents slept, according to police. The girl slipped out of the family's Lakewood Drive home around 2 p.m. and wandered into the back yard where the two dogs were chained, said Detective Craig Chandler of the Kennesaw Police Department."

Unchain Your Dog.org | Chained Rottweilers Kill Toddler

"A five-month-old baby girl died of her injuries after being savaged by rottweilers, police revealed yesterday.
The dogs pounced on the baby while she was in her family's living quarters above the Rocket pub in New Parks, Leicester, on Saturday afternoon. Police said she was "dragged for a distance", possibly on to a balcony."

Pub rottweilers kill five-month-old girl | UK news | The Guardian

"On April 24th, 1997 three of Davidsons four Rots killed 11 year old Christopher Wilson as he waited for a school bus."
Rots Kill 11 Year Old Boy

"A pony has died after being savagely attacked in a field by two rottweiler dogs. "
Rottweilers kill horse and are shot dead by Lancashire police - Equestrian news, equine news, horse news - Horse & Hound

Anyone who tries to say that Rotties aren't very, very edgy and prone to being exceedingly dangerous is fooling themselves, and setting themselves up for a nice chomp in the face sometime.

It's stupid to kid yourself about the degree of potential any animal has for deadly behavior. I have horses, who certainly aren't prey animals...but I will be the first to tell you they are very, VERY dangerous.

I've always had big dogs....as well as small dogs, and kids, and cats, and herd animals.

Rotties and pit bulls are very, very dangerous animals. German Shepherds have the potential to be, but generally they're very easy to get a handle on. Rots & pits are bull headed and you have to be ON TOP of them every second. Rotts if handled correctly should grow out of aggressive and/or dangerous behavior, if you're 100 percent committed to them for a couple of years.

Pitbulls, you can't let your guard down, ever.

And if someone is up for that, I think everyone who wants one should be able to have the dog they want.

It's the people who are in denial who pose a threat to the rest of us, our kids and our property.

I had a girlfriend who had a huge male rott, and he was a sweetheart. But she let him run at night. Eventually somebody shot him, and deservedly so. You want to come across a 100 lb monster going through your trash at about 5 a.m.? And he wasn't intimidated by anyone.

Thank you for your informative post, Allie. You and Ravi certainly think alike about dogs breeds. You differ concerning the banning of certain dog breeds.

Ravi, the Cafeteria Progressive, calls for a ban on the breeding of pit bull dogs because she doesn't like the looks of her neighbor's pets - much the same way her neighbors supported a ban on smoking in restaurant's in Ravi's hometown because these and other neighbors had finally had it up to their eyeballs with Ravi always puffing away while they and others at the table were trying to enjoy their meal.

Allie, this statement of yours bears repeating as it is absolutely true.

"It's stupid to kid yourself about the degree of potential any animal has for deadly behavior. I have horses, who certainly aren't prey animals...but I will be the first to tell you they are very, VERY dangerous."

energizer-bunny.jpg

:lol:

btw Ang, I still support your right to choose...

...to own a pit bull, among other things. :razz:

Thank you for your informative post, Allie. You and Ravi certainly think alike about dogs breeds. You differ concerning the banning of certain dog breeds.

Ravi, the Cafeteria Progressive, calls for a ban on the breeding of pit bull dogs because she doesn't like the looks of her neighbor's pets - much the same way her neighbors supported a ban on smoking in restaurant's in Ravi's hometown because these and other neighbors had finally had it up to their eyeballs with Ravi always puffing away while they and others at the table were trying to enjoy their meal.

Allie, this statement of yours bears repeating as it is absolutely true.

"It's stupid to kid yourself about the degree of potential any animal has for deadly behavior. I have horses, who certainly aren't prey animals...but I will be the first to tell you they are very, VERY dangerous."
Okay, I'll concede that Ravi's call for a ban on the breeding of pit bulls owes just as much to her desire for a better society as it does her pit pull phobia. But that still makes her a progressive. :lol:

Forum List

Back