Is it a "Poll Tax"

Republican want people to jump hurdles to vote...then tell everyone else that they arent hurdles because in their opinion they are really small hurdles that should be easy.

Still a hurdle....Where are the "more freedom" crowd on this?

Navy,
What hidden ‘fees’ are you talking about in voter ID laws that include a free ID from the state. You have not stated what those fees are exactly and I would rather not try and guess.

?

Maybe getting a Birth Certificate copy from the State you were born so you may prove you're eligible for what you're applying for?

Navy,
What hidden ‘fees’ are you talking about in voter ID laws that include a free ID from the state. You have not stated what those fees are exactly and I would rather not try and guess.

?

Here is an example in one state Arizona..

Adult Child

The adult child of a registrant is eligible to receive a certified copy of his/her parent’s birth certificate if all of the following criteria are met:

The adult child must be at least 18 years of age.
The adult child must:
Produce a copy of his/her birth certificate which names the registrant as the parent of the applicant or
If the adult child was born in Arizona, a search can be done on the EBS for the adult child’s record to verify the record names the registrant as the parent of the applicant.
The adult child submits a signed application.
The adult parent submits valid government issued identification or notarized signature on the application.
The adult child submits the appropriate fee(s).

In Maricopa County for example that Fee is $20.00

These fee's vary depending on what state a person lives in and also what documentation they seek to obtain for the purpose of voting. Again, I have no issue with an ID in general for voting , my issue is when these laws impede someones ability to vote that has every right to do so.

Republican want people to jump hurdles to vote...then tell everyone else that they arent hurdles because in their opinion they are really small hurdles that should be easy.

Freedom requires fair elections. This means hurdles...very, very small hurdles. Life's tough, get a helmet.

I can see where I need to expand on this based on some of the postings, while its true these states do have provisions for "Free" ID's the cost to obtain the documentation to get those ID's is not Free and the only state that has a provision according to my read is Indiana. Futher if it is nonsense to oppose this why then is it such an issue now, if it were such an issue, then those that support these ID laws would have advocated for them long ago.

If indeed there is NO charge incurred or charged by the state/government to obtain the ID, you would then have no objection to a required ID to vote??

Now.. what gets me is some of the wingers on here that feel that everything associated to getting the ID has to be provided as well... babysitting, transportation, paid time off of work. compensation for their time, etc... and this is absolute horse pucky

Oh.. and I have advocated this from the very first I ever started hearing more and learning more about registration SNAFUs, overvotes, and the lack of requirements to prove you are indeed eligible to vote and you are who you say you are when it comes to voting... I think my eyes started to be opened in 1994, voting in PA, presenting my military ID and drivers license at the ready and getting looked at funny. As I realized many military folks at our base were not eligible to vote in the localities where they lives (barracks or otherwise) but I had just bought a house in PA and changed my home of record...

Look Dave, if there were no costs for voting, "Period" I would have no issues with this, at all. I have yet to be convinced though other than perhaps in Indiana that this is the case, and in some of these states these laws strike me as "fee's " for some needed to pay for the cost of exercising their right to vote. If say, a state would place a person(s) face on a voter registration card, and that was the ID and offered the cost of obtainging those state ID's for Free I would have no issue with it.

And such a thing is what I would support.. a no fee voter ID card... and that card could be used as proof of ID for other things as well, negating the need for the for fee ID card that some MVAs offer those who do not have the privilege to drive

But my other point is that now we have many on the winger left who want MORE compensated by the government for them to get their ID, as I stated... They call for free transportation, free babysitting, paid time off from work, etc

[Its simply a small step intended to stop this:]

"While NAACP President Benjamin Jealous lashed out at new state laws requiring photo ID for voting, an NAACP executive sits in prison, sentenced for carrying out a massive voter fraud scheme.

In a story ignored by the national media, in April a Tunica County, Miss., jury convicted NAACP official Lessadolla Sowers on 10 counts of fraudulently casting absentee ballots. Sowers is identified on an NAACP website as a member of the Tunica County NAACP Executive Committee.

Sowers received a five-year prison term for each of the 10 counts, but Circuit Court Judge Charles Webster permitted Sowers to serve those terms concurrently, according to the Tunica Times, the only media outlet to cover the sentencing.

“This crime cuts against the fabric of our free society,” Judge Webster said.

Sowers was found guilty of voting in the names of Carrie Collins, Walter Howard, Sheena Shelton, Alberta Pickett, Draper Cotton and Eddie Davis. She was also convicted of voting in the names of four dead persons: James L. Young, Dora Price, Dorothy Harris, and David Ross.

In the trial, forensic scientist Bo Scales testified that Sowers’s DNA was found on the inner seals of five envelopes containing absentee ballots."

Weasel Zippers: Mississippi NAACP Leader Sent To Prison For 10 Counts of Voter Fraud...

15th Amendment

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

19th Amendment

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

24th Amendment

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Harper v. Virginia Board of Elections
It is argued that a State may exact fees from citizens for many different kinds of licenses; that, if it can demand from all an equal fee for a driver's license, [n5] it can demand from all an equal poll tax for voting. But we must remember that the interest of the State, when it comes to voting, is limited to the power to fix qualifications. Wealth, like race, creed, or color, is not germane to one's ability to participate intelligently in the electoral process. Lines drawn on the basis of wealth or property, like those of race (Korematsu v. United States, 323 U.S. 214, 216), are traditionally disfavored. See Edwards v. California, 314 U.S. 160, 184-185 (Jackson, J., concurring); Griffin v. Illinois, 351 U.S. 12; Douglas v. California, 372 U.S. 353. To introduce wealth or payment of a fee as a measure of a voter's qualifications is to introduce a capricious or irrelevant factor.

After consideration of these voter ID laws I have come to the conclusion that with the exception of those states that allow for the exception of voters to vote such as Indiana does by affidavit and provisional ballot , the process by which a voter has to pay for documentation for the sole purpose for obtaining a state approved ID to vote is on its a face a "poll tax". If for example these state who wish a form of ID for a voter to identify themselves in a election to combat voter fraud which seems a little bit of a stretch in my humble opinion given the fact that data suggests the instances of fraud do not justify these laws, then that state would put in place a voter ID where the voter at registration would use the registration card as the voter ID, otherwise why bother to register to vote if additional state ID is required. In addtion if the instances of fraud justified the need for these laws to such a degree then the question is, why now?, why not in the last election, or the one before that or the one before that? I seem to recall a very close election in 2000 where the words "fraud" were being tossed around often especially in Fl. and yet we seemed to survive that with little problem. While many might disagree with me on this one and as they are entitled to, it is my humble opinion these laws serve no useful purpose if they keep on American from voting who is entitled to do so because that American cannot afford the proper documentation.

When Ids became free your argument took a long walk off of a short pier..........

Freedom requires fair elections. This means hurdles...very, very small hurdles. Life's tough, get a helmet.

Elections are already fair. Strawman fail.

Navy,

?

Adult Child

The adult child of a registrant is eligible to receive a certified copy of his/her parent’s birth certificate if all of the following criteria are met:

The adult child must:
Produce a copy of his/her birth certificate which names the registrant as the parent of the applicant or
If the adult child was born in Arizona, a search can be done on the EBS for the adult child’s record to verify the record names the registrant as the parent of the applicant.
The adult parent submits valid government issued identification or notarized signature on the application.

These fee's vary depending on what state a person lives in and also what documentation they seek to obtain for the purpose of voting. Again, I have no issue with an ID in general for voting , my issue is when these laws impede someones ability to vote that has every right to do so.

This is an ADDITIONAL copy.... there was an original provided.. thru the mishap, negligence, or whatever the person needs to obtain ANOTHER, and such a process takes up resources, which is why a fee would be charged...

Do we have to have the government issue and re-issue copies at whim at cost?? I don't really think so

Really? All the proven stories of fraud mean nothing? Are you ready for the army of 1,000's of Lawyers that will be in polling places across the fruited plain come November?

Strawman my ass. :eusa_hand:

If indeed there is NO charge incurred or charged by the state/government to obtain the ID, you would then have no objection to a required ID to vote??

Now.. what gets me is some of the wingers on here that feel that everything associated to getting the ID has to be provided as well... babysitting, transportation, paid time off of work. compensation for their time, etc... and this is absolute horse pucky

Oh.. and I have advocated this from the very first I ever started hearing more and learning more about registration SNAFUs, overvotes, and the lack of requirements to prove you are indeed eligible to vote and you are who you say you are when it comes to voting... I think my eyes started to be opened in 1994, voting in PA, presenting my military ID and drivers license at the ready and getting looked at funny. As I realized many military folks at our base were not eligible to vote in the localities where they lives (barracks or otherwise) but I had just bought a house in PA and changed my home of record...

Look Dave, if there were no costs for voting, "Period" I would have no issues with this, at all. I have yet to be convinced though other than perhaps in Indiana that this is the case, and in some of these states these laws strike me as "fee's " for some needed to pay for the cost of exercising their right to vote. If say, a state would place a person(s) face on a voter registration card, and that was the ID and offered the cost of obtainging those state ID's for Free I would have no issue with it.

And such a thing is what I would support.. a no fee voter ID card... and that card could be used as proof of ID for other things as well, negating the need for the for fee ID card that some MVAs offer those who do not have the privilege to drive

But my other point is that now we have many on the winger left who want MORE compensated by the government for them to get their ID, as I stated... They call for free transportation, free babysitting, paid time off from work, etc

Look other than save for those who have already proven themselves for this nation, how you get to the polls to vote is not my concern here. If your a vet or disabled or for that matter a senior and need help to get there then , personally and this is just me I feel an obligation to help those people who wish it to get there. Especially someone who has bleed for this nation on the battlefield. The other stuff you mentioned Dave is a bit beyond the pale and you know I don't support most of that sort of thing. I just believe that everyone should be allowed to vote who wants to vote and while I generally have no issue with an ID, we as a nation should do everything we can to insure Americans who want to vote can vote by making the process "free" , that however does not mean at least in my mind a Govt. that walks you to the polls and pulls the lever for you, if you don't have the motivation to get off your backside and vote, then you live with the Govt. those who do select for you.

15th Amendment

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

19th Amendment

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

24th Amendment

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

It is argued that a State may exact fees from citizens for many different kinds of licenses; that, if it can demand from all an equal fee for a driver's license, [n5] it can demand from all an equal poll tax for voting. But we must remember that the interest of the State, when it comes to voting, is limited to the power to fix qualifications. Wealth, like race, creed, or color, is not germane to one's ability to participate intelligently in the electoral process. Lines drawn on the basis of wealth or property, like those of race (Korematsu v. United States, 323 U.S. 214, 216), are traditionally disfavored. See Edwards v. California, 314 U.S. 160, 184-185 (Jackson, J., concurring); Griffin v. Illinois, 351 U.S. 12; Douglas v. California, 372 U.S. 353. To introduce wealth or payment of a fee as a measure of a voter's qualifications is to introduce a capricious or irrelevant factor.

After consideration of these voter ID laws I have come to the conclusion that with the exception of those states that allow for the exception of voters to vote such as Indiana does by affidavit and provisional ballot , the process by which a voter has to pay for documentation for the sole purpose for obtaining a state approved ID to vote is on its a face a "poll tax". If for example these state who wish a form of ID for a voter to identify themselves in a election to combat voter fraud which seems a little bit of a stretch in my humble opinion given the fact that data suggests the instances of fraud do not justify these laws, then that state would put in place a voter ID where the voter at registration would use the registration card as the voter ID, otherwise why bother to register to vote if additional state ID is required. In addtion if the instances of fraud justified the need for these laws to such a degree then the question is, why now?, why not in the last election, or the one before that or the one before that? I seem to recall a very close election in 2000 where the words "fraud" were being tossed around often especially in Fl. and yet we seemed to survive that with little problem. While many might disagree with me on this one and as they are entitled to, it is my humble opinion these laws serve no useful purpose if they keep on American from voting who is entitled to do so because that American cannot afford the proper documentation.

When Ids became free your argument took a long walk off of a short pier..........

the process by which a voter has to pay for documentation for the sole purpose for obtaining a state approved ID

In the post, and still on the pier, so far no one has proven that that these documentation costs are not fee's associated with obtaining an ID for the purpose of voting and are therefor a "poll tax" as defined in Harper.

Really? All the proven stories of fraud mean nothing? Are you ready for the army of 1,000's of Lawyers that will be in polling places across the fruited plain come November?

They are less than 1% of all voters. Let me give you an example. Less than 1% of gun owners go on killing sprees. Should we punish them for the actions of less than 1%?

When your head explodes after trying to twist your way out of it you can use one square of toilet paper to clean up

Texas’ attorney general, Greg Abbott, says he needs the state’s stalled voter identification mandate to ward off fraud at the polls.

When the U.S. Justice Department rejected the Texas voter ID law March 12, 2012, preventing it from taking effect, Abbott issued a press release saying: "Since 2002 ... election fraud investigations by the Texas Attorney General's Office have resulted in 50 convictions."
PolitiFact Texas | Greg Abbott claims 50 election fraud convictions since 2002

T, I'm afriad 57 cases out of how many votes cast since 2002 in the state of Tx. just in that one state does not constitute wide spread voter fraud in fact thats like 5.7 cases a year in just one state that has seen millions of votes cast since that time. Frankly these voter ID Laws while I don't really have an issue with them in general, fraud doesn't seem to support the need for them unless you can cite instances of wide spread voter fraud convtictions say in the 10's of thousands nationally over the last 10 yearrs because that is what you would have to come up with as a percentage based on the sheer number of votes cast. As I said, at least to me anyway T these laws seem simple enough to make if a state would just require to a person to put their name and address when getting a coter registration care and put their smiling face on the voter registration care and make that Free of charge. I just do not see this as being such an issue that it requires these laws to be to the point where it impedes honest Americans the right to engage in the voting.

Adult Child

The adult child must:

This is an ADDITIONAL copy.... there was an original provided.. thru the mishap, negligence, or whatever the person needs to obtain ANOTHER, and such a process takes up resources, which is why a fee would be charged...

Do we have to have the government issue and re-issue copies at whim at cost?? I don't really think so

Then do not require it as a means to vote, its that simple or perhaps as I suggested put the persons face on their voter registration card. The point is, if a state wishes a person to engage in the process and then turns around and charges a fee for it, they are instituting a poll tax upon that person. The answer to your last question is yes.

Navy,

?

Adult Child

The adult child must:

I don’t see your point. States with voter ID have provisions to supply that ID for FREE. That is, no fees whatsoever. That is the process as I understand it. If I am incorrect, please show me how. The list you presented is for a birth certificate. Not for a voter ID.

As for the Arizona requirements, here they are:
Every qualified elector shall present one form of identification that bears the name, address and photograph of the elector or two different forms of identification that bear the name and address of the elector.
Voter ID: State Requirements
And the list of some valid alternatives:
Valid Arizona driver's license
Valid Arizona non-driver identification
Tribal enrollment card or other form of tribal identification
Valid U.S. federal, state or local government issued identification
Utility bill dated within 90 days of the election
Bank or credit union statement dated within 90 days of the election
Valid Arizona vehicle registration
Indian census card
Property tax statement
Vehicle insurance card
Recorder’s Certificate

And if you don’t have any of them, you still get a provisional ballot and you can prove identity later to the county recorder. Your voter registration card is also a valid alternative.

Where are the hidden fees? If you don’t have an ID you can use alternative sources? I guess there can be a problem should you have no bank account, no car, no utilities, no ID, no birth certificate, or any connection with any other government form of ID. IOW, if you are homeless then you could have some problems. Some.

Of course, in that situation, you would also not be able to register to vote in the first place so that even states where there are no voter ID laws you would be unable to vote. As a matter of fact, requiring you to register to vote in the first place is a poll tax using your criteria. It involves, essentially, the exact same problems you are attributing to voter ID laws. Do you have any problems with voters being required to register?

15th Amendment

19th Amendment

24th Amendment

See highlight above^. It would be ridiculous to think that a person would be obtaining an ID "for the sole purpose of voting". Is there a single American citizen that can get through life without any form of ID whatsoever? I highly doubt it. That person couldn't be hired w/o valid ID (IRS), couldn't collect public assistance, couldn't do pretty much anything. The term frivolous Lawsuit comes to mind.

I think it depends upon the specific law. I see no problem with having to porduce identification to vote. However, if it has to be a specific ID you must obtain for the sole purpose of voting, then you are talking about a poll tax. Of coure, there are other issues. For example, in Louisiana you need a birth certificate to obtain a photo ID. However, you cannot obtain a copy of your birth certificate without a photo ID. A nice little catch 22.

Texas’ attorney general, Greg Abbott, says he needs the state’s stalled voter identification mandate to ward off fraud at the polls.

When the U.S. Justice Department rejected the Texas voter ID law March 12, 2012, preventing it from taking effect, Abbott issued a press release saying: "Since 2002 ... election fraud investigations by the Texas Attorney General's Office have resulted in 50 convictions."
PolitiFact Texas | Greg Abbott claims 50 election fraud convictions since 2002

T, I'm afriad 57 cases out of how many votes cast since 2002 in the state of Tx. just in that one state does not constitute wide spread voter fraud in fact thats like 5.7 cases a year in just one state that has seen millions of votes cast since that time. Frankly these voter ID Laws while I don't really have an issue with them in general, fraud doesn't seem to support the need for them unless you can cite instances of wide spread voter fraud convtictions say in the 10's of thousands nationally over the last 10 yearrs because that is what you would have to come up with as a percentage based on the sheer number of votes cast. As I said, at least to me anyway T these laws seem simple enough to make if a state would just require to a person to put their name and address when getting a coter registration care and put their smiling face on the voter registration care and make that Free of charge. I just do not see this as being such an issue that it requires these laws to be to the point where it impedes honest Americans the right to engage in the voting.

Convictions have nothing to do with voter fraud mostly because the entire act of voting is completely ambiguous. You cannot tie a specific vote to a specific person, for good reason. There is nothing whatsoever stopping me from going to the polls, claiming that I am you, my mother, dead grandfather, my boss or any other real person and voting. Nothing other than voter ID laws of course. I cast a ballot for any number of people and never get caught doing so. I would not only not have to worry about being convicted but there would be no statistic to be counted as voter fraud. It would be completely invisible and utterly remove your right to vote.

Tex attorney Greg Abbott has said he needs $1.50 from everyone to ward off bad mojo. There no evidence of bad mojo but it's for prevention.

15th Amendment

19th Amendment

24th Amendment

See highlight above^. It would be ridiculous to think that a person would be obtaining an ID "for the sole purpose of voting". Is there a single American citizen that can get through life without any form of ID whatsoever? I highly doubt it. That person couldn't be hired w/o valid ID (IRS), couldn't collect public assistance, couldn't do pretty much anything. The term frivolous Lawsuit comes to mind.

I think it depends upon the specific law. I see no problem with having to porduce identification to vote. However, if it has to be a specific ID you must obtain for the sole purpose of voting, then you are talking about a poll tax. Of coure, there are other issues. For example, in Louisiana you need a birth certificate to obtain a photo ID. However, you cannot obtain a copy of your birth certificate without a photo ID. A nice little catch 22.

And what is required to register to vote in the first place in nonvoter ID states? Here, AN ID IS REQUIRED…..
In addition to something that proves your place of residence.

So, unless you are also against requiring registration to vote (uniform across all states if I am not mistaken) then you need to explain why it is an unacceptable poll tax in one instance and a perfectly acceptable practice in another.

Edit; thought you were navy. Sry, I did not mean to attribute being against voter ID’s to you. As I don’t know your stance, reply/disregard the last statement as it applies ;)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back