Is Dr. Ben Carson lying about how religious he is?

Seems impossible an ultra devout Christian would waste his life studying medicine and become a brain surgeon. Lots of stuff in the Bible about how God is the one who heals making such a profession highly dubious for a religious person. Whole denominations sprang up because of this as with Christian Scientists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and others.

What Does the Bible Say About Doctors?

"The word “Physician” is not mentioned in the Bible

Neither the word Physician nor the word Doctor is used in the Bible. The word mistranslated as Physician is actually the word healer. It is the translators who have presumptuously – and wrongly – defined a Physician – a present-day Doctor - as a healer.

But the Bible, in the original, says something quite different.

Who claims to be our Healer?

God says, “I am the Lord who heals you.” Exodus 15:26

“I will take away sickness from among you. . .” Exodus 23:25,26

“He forgives all my sins and heals ALL my Diseases.” Psalm 103:3

“I will give you back your health again and heal your wounds.” Jeremiah 30:17

“The Lord will remove from you all sickness. . .” Deuteronomy 7:15

“My counsel shall stand, and I WILL do ALL my pleasure.: Isaiah 46:10

“Yes, I have spoken it. I will also bring it to Pass. I have purposed it. I will also do it.” Isaiah 46:11

“God cannot lie.” Titus 1:2

“I am the Lord: I will speak, and the word that I shall speak shall come to pass. Ezekiel 12:25

When Jesus was on earth, He NEVER referred anyone to a Physician

God needs no middle men. When Jesus was on earth, when someone came to Him for healing, He never referred the person to Luke, the “Physician.” Jesus healed the person directly and personally. And He healed him either with His Word – which we have today, in the form of the Bible – or He healed him with natural methods – clay, water, etc.

Jesus NEVER used drugs, although we know that some types of drugs were available in His time. When Jesus was on the Cross, He was offered a type of drug to ease His pain, but He refused it.

In the Bible, What was the consequence of seeking out anyone else except God for healing?

Asa, King of Israel sought out the physicians INSTEAD of depending on the Lord – and Asa DIED!

“And Asa, in the thirty-ninth year of his reign, was diseased in his feet (probably diabetes), until his disease was exceeding great: yet in his disease he sought NOT to the Lord, but to the physicians (human “healers”)

“And Asa died . . . and rested with his fathers (ancestors).” 2 Chronicles 16:12,13
"

goes on at great length but this is enough.
Believing in God doesn't mean automatically you're a nut-job.

And I have seen anti-Godists who are nut jobs.

Yeah but at least they don't believe they have an invisible friend in the sky which will come and meet them as they come up from their graves floating up to meet him in the clouds. Are You Shittin' Me???

1 Thessalonians 4:
15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Yeah but at least they don't believe they have an invisible friend in the sky which will come and meet them as they come up from their graves floating up to meet him in the clouds. Are You Shittin' Me???

1 Thessalonians 4:
15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
What they believe is not your concern, and what they believe is protected by the Constitution. And the Constitution protects their right to be informed by their religious values, just as you are by your secular ethics, in voting and public policy making.

1 Thessalonians 4:
What they believe is not your concern, and what they believe is protected by the Constitution. And the Constitution protects their right to be informed by their religious values, just as you are by your secular ethics, in voting and public policy making.

Yeah...well I disagree. When the draft dodging George W. Bush declared an unnecessary war against Iraq(because god told him to)....because Saddam Hussein had attempted to assassinate his Daddy then 4500 young Americans lost their lives there the picture changes. My oldest granddaughter's husband pulled two tours there. He was lucky....he made it. Now he's flying Chinook helicopters along the north and south Korean border at the 38th parallel.

1 Thessalonians 4:

Yeah...well I disagree. When the draft dodging George W. Bush declared an unnecessary war against Iraq(because god told him to)....because Saddam Hussein had attempted to assassinate his Daddy then 4500 young Americans lost their lives there the picture changes. My oldest granddaughter's husband pulled two tours there. He was lucky....he made it. Now he's flying Chinook helicopters along the north and south Korean border at the 38th parallel.
Only reason he's doing that is because some pissant Democrat wouldn't let us beat the shit out of North Korea.

Seems impossible an ultra devout Christian would waste his life studying medicine and become a brain surgeon. Lots of stuff in the Bible about how God is the one who heals making such a profession highly dubious for a religious person. Whole denominations sprang up because of this as with Christian Scientists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and others.

Neither the word Physician nor the word Doctor is used in the Bible. The word mistranslated as Physician is actually the word healer. It is the translators who have presumptuously – and wrongly – defined a Physician – a present-day Doctor - as a healer.

“Yes, I have spoken it. I will also bring it to Pass. I have purposed it. I will also do it.” Isaiah 46:11

“I am the Lord: I will speak, and the word that I shall speak shall come to pass. Ezekiel 12:25

God needs no middle men. When Jesus was on earth, when someone came to Him for healing, He never referred the person to Luke, the “Physician.” Jesus healed the person directly and personally. And He healed him either with His Word – which we have today, in the form of the Bible – or He healed him with natural methods – clay, water, etc.

Jesus NEVER used drugs, although we know that some types of drugs were available in His time. When Jesus was on the Cross, He was offered a type of drug to ease His pain, but He refused it.

In the Bible, What was the consequence of seeking out anyone else except God for healing?

Asa, King of Israel sought out the physicians INSTEAD of depending on the Lord – and Asa DIED!

“And Asa, in the thirty-ninth year of his reign, was diseased in his feet (probably diabetes), until his disease was exceeding great: yet in his disease he sought NOT to the Lord, but to the physicians (human “healers”)

“And Asa died . . . and rested with his fathers (ancestors).” 2 Chronicles 16:12,13
"

USMB has proven that. There are more than enough RWnuts around here who are nuts for any number of reasons.

1 Thessalonians 4:

Only reason he's doing that is because some pissant Democrat wouldn't let us beat the shit out of North Korea.

I take it you're volunteering to be among the first boots on the ground in the next unnecessary Republican oil war in the middle east.....is that about right?

Oh, I agree that the war was wrong. So glad your SIL is safe. Loved my time in the ROK at 2ID 3d Brigade and at the flag pole at Div HQs. My point is that our belief rights are protected by the Constitution.

1 Thessalonians 4:

I take it you're volunteering to be among the first boots on the ground in the next unnecessary Republican oil war in the middle east.....is that about right?
You first.

I've already been deployed on numerous occasions.

Why don't you get off of your ass and serve your country......hmmmmmm.......?

"

If you actually listen to Ben Carson talk about religion he is very logical. He isn't crazy religious.

I would say he's a Christian/ agnostic. That's sort of what I am.

I'm not sure about anything but I do believe in God.

It's hard to explain but one day you just know God is there.

Yet I find it hard to believe the whole Adam and Eve thing.

And the bible has some good things in it and some horrific things in it.

The only thing that the OP has managed to establish is how utterly ignorant and close minded they are about religious beliefs.

Now that's funny.....being ignorant about religious beliefs is a blessing.....no pun intended

Does being ignorant about ancient god worship count? All those who believe in witches and think the world is flat please step forward.

That certainly explains some things about you. Personally I see no reason to be ignorant of anything. Especially matters of the eternities

"

USMB has proven that. There are more than enough RWnuts around here who are nuts for any number of reasons.

I find it interesting that anyone you can't defeat with intellectual arguments just happens to be nuts. Funny how that conveniently works out.

1 Thessalonians 4:

You first.

That requires caring more about others.

"

I find it interesting that anyone you can't defeat with intellectual arguments just happens to be nuts. Funny how that conveniently works out.

Notice similar with disparaging people's sexuality, political affiliation, and religion. If you can't counter an assertion, demean the individual.

"

I think a lot of politicians lie about being religious.

YOur reasoning and evidence here is the weakest I have ever seen.

"

I think a lot of politicians lie about being religious.

YOur reasoning and evidence here is the weakest I have ever seen.

I'd agree except Huckabee. Doesn't set off my bs detector like others do.

1 Thessalonians 4:

You first.

I'm 80 years old. I was in the Co. C, 5th Med Tank Battalion, 109th Armored Division from 1957 till 1964. I was lucky.....I served my time between wars. I was a tank commander on a 4 man tank crew...50 ton M-48 medium patton tank when I was discharged. Lots of fun to fire the 90mm main gun and the 50 cal BMG

Last edited:
The only thing that the OP has managed to establish is how utterly ignorant and close minded they are about religious beliefs.

Now that's funny.....being ignorant about religious beliefs is a blessing.....no pun intended

Does being ignorant about ancient god worship count? All those who believe in witches and think the world is flat please step forward.
No, it is not. Particularly when so many state it is crazy and the VAST majority of the planet is religious in one form or another.

Forum List

Back