Is college a scam?

As opposed to... whom? These are fact-based studies. they also study tuition costs and student debt and release fact-based reports on those topics.

So, professor... since you are now complaining about the sources... what source would be okay with you? Go on, set the rules. i don't want to follow you around the field while you move the goalposts.

How about, the Fed? Lifetime Benefits of Education Have Never Been So High | St. Louis Fed
Why are you asking what I've already posted ? Once again >> "Might be better to have some unemployed college graduates do the "study".

ualitative measurements are highly dependent on their measurement gauges. Including WHO is doing the measuring
Bullshit. Now you are just tap dancing Higher wages, better benefits, generate more tax revenue, more active in the community... the only thing "qualitative" here is deciding these very quantitative differences are superior... fine if you think they aren't (which makes you nuts).

"Might be better to have some unemployed college graduates do the "study".
And they would get the exact same numbers. So... your point?

Last edited:

This tenured professor thinks so.

What say you?

I went to college on the GI Bill. Worked 38 years in the field I studied. Spent the last 20 as a Sr. Design Engineer and retired at 63.

Was it worth it? I'll ponder it in the morning as I water my garden before I go to my art class.

Bullshit. Now you are just tap dancing Higher wages, better benefits, generate more tax revenue, more active in the community... the only thing "qualitative" here is deciding these very quantitative differences are superior... fine if you think they aren't (which makes you nuts).
As my old physics professor used to say Qualitative measures are what they are, based on Quantitative measures. Example:
Take two 8 ounce glasses. Fill glass A with water and arsenic. Fill glass B with the same 2 ingredients. Both have the same two components. But glass has just a single drop of arsenic. Glass B has an eyedropper full of arsenic.
Quantities are different - thereby, so are qualities,. Glass A is essentially a glass of water. Glass B is a deadly poison that will kill you, if you drink it.

These can be determined in advance. But studies pertaining to social things are more sketchy and can (and often are) skewed relative to the motives if the studiers. Entirely different results can be found depending on study methodology as well. If you need an example of that, no problem, Available on request.

And they would get the exact same numbers. So... your point?
Upon what do you base that statement ? Got a source for that, or are we just supposed to take it on faith ?

It is a scam and a total waste of money.
90% never land a job for the degree they obtained

It is proven people who go to trade schools do much better , because really if you want to be a banker why in the hell should you need to take bs other classes that have nothing to do with those skills.

It is a way to rake in more money by saying you have to take this or that as a requirement .

It's just a way to keep you enslaved.

It is proven people who go to trade schools do much better , because really if you want to be a banker why in the hell should you need to take bs other classes that have nothing to do with those skills.

It is a way to rake in more money by saying you have to take this or that as a requirement .

90%? Are you sure about that?

6a01348793456c970c017d42d83cf8970c-450wi.jpg

For many jobs, a college degree proves you have the ability to learn. That you can stick with something.

Oh, nevermind. You wouldn't understand.

You can be a well-rounded person without being forced to take English Literature.
Yes, extend that to EVERY topic outside your major... and, oops, suddenly you're not really a well-rounded person, are you? ;)

I do not disagree about the debt. At all.

Not necessarily. For example, if you're a finance major, taking biology isn't 3,000 miles away; Early Brit lit is.

For many jobs, a college degree proves you have the ability to learn. That you can stick with something.

NO u don't understand because you went to a LIBERAL COLLEGE the indoctrinate you to remain stupid ass idiot.

35 Shocking Facts That Prove That College Education Has Become A Giant Money Making Scam

The following are 35 shocking facts that prove that college education in America has become a giant money making scam….

The Student Loan Debt Bubble

#1 After adjusting for inflation, U.S. college students are borrowing about twice as much money as they did a decade ago.

#2 According to the College Board, college tuition is absolutely soaring. The following comes from a recent CBS News article….

Average tuition and fees at public colleges rose 8.3 percent this year and, with room and board, now exceed $17,000 a year, according to the College Board.

#3 Average yearly tuition at private universities in the United States is now up to $27,293. That figure has increased by 29% in just the past five years.

#4 In America today, approximately two-thirds of all college students graduate with student loan debt.

#5 In 2010, the average college graduate had accumulated approximately $25,000 in student loan debt by graduation day.

#6 According to the Student Loan Debt Clock, total student loan debt in the United States will surpass the 1 trillion dollar mark in early 2012.

#7 The total amount of student loan debt in the United States now exceeds the........

35 Shocking Facts That Prove That College Education Has Become A Giant Money Making Scam - The American Dream

Dumbest

You should go to college.

OH yeah keep living in that bs fantasy world of yours. " you might have a degree but you can never have one in common sense, logic, nor reality" sorry they don't offer a degree in those areas" . that explains your leftist liberal reject thinking.

All across America, colleges are deceiving prospective students with misleading and often fraudulent tactics and statistics. The fact is, law schools are handing out 43,000 law degrees each year, when there are 15,000 less attorney and legal staff jobs in the U.S. than three years ago. Many law schools are advertising a 90% job placement rate within one year of graduating. However, weeks before job placement surveys are conducted, some law schools will hire unemployed graduates to work in their admissions department. They are let go as soon as these surveys are completed, but count as being part of the 90% employed.

College Education is a Scam Says New Documentary

Dumbest

/////////////////// u. d.a

another Trump hating idiot it' too bd you morons can't see how pathetically fkn stupid you all are, but then if you could you wouldn't be viewed as such morons.

Dumbest

Maybe that's why your so pathetic and dumbed down you live in fantasy world too.

By the way a.h I went to college......

It's just that I could care less what IGNORANT TRUMP HATING pos think.....

I'm not out to fit in some little special click in life , as trendy's have to do because losers of society are always trying to prove something to everyone else but their incredibly stupid selves.........

Better known as browning nosing ass kissers in life..:boohoo::fu::asshole:

upload_2018-5-29_21-0-15.png

College is a scam — so let’s make money off it

YES. College is a scam.Education is NOT
Church is a scam. God is not
Fast food is grabbing and eating a piece of fruit while riding a bike and never slowing down

This tenured professor thinks so.

What say you?

The video makes some good arguments, and then hashes them with bad arguments and misses the point in a lot of cases.

The first thing to say is that college in the US is different to university in other countries. The US could do things different.

The second is that an educated workforce attracts educated work. How many high tech companies are there in Somalia?

Thirdly education is difficult to quantify. People want to be able to understand education in a series of numbers.

When I studied, I grew as a person. In fact I often learned just by being forced to learn. But I learned how to think better. How do you quantify that? You can't.

The US has a system of tenure professors, which is wrong. Professors shouldn't just be teaching. They should be learning, they should be writing, they should be purveyors of learning. They make a country more educated, they spread ideas, they push boundaries etc.

Which subjects aren't worthy?

Engineering is great. You come out of it with a job. Great.

Social Science. Maybe less so, it's not directed at one job. However understanding people is a massive industry. Advertising demands that people understand how people think. People therefore learn such things.

Literature. Well, the literary world makes a lot of money. Understanding how good books are written can help people in many jobs, both in the literary world and also in the business world.

To dismiss things because you can't quantify something is ludicrous.

However, US colleges are too expensive, which is probably their best argument. Why go waste all this money at colleges with nice sports facilities, with grants for football players, with all that shit?

Go to Europe and find a university that gives grants to sports stars. They exist. Not many, but they exist. Sports facilities are usually a piece of grass with lines on them. That's all they need. They don't need a 60,000 seater stadium that the students have to pay for in order to get an education.

Look; if you're walking around in this world and you observe how people with college educations live and how people without live, you will understand the value that this society places on college diplomas. Is it right? Who knows. But it is the coin of the realm right now. It opens doors for you to have this diploma. I tend to think that employers place Waaaay too much emphasis on it. Typing 70WPM is like the 40 yard dash in football. Unless you're a novelist or wide receiver, when are you going to need either skill? My formal training is in logistics management. Very few people need the skills acquired from the courses they took in college; they need the degree that taking those courses afforded them. The sheet of paper is worth more than everything it took to get it. It's a hideous equation we've drawn for ourselves in this world. How sad.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too

Imagine all the people living life in peace, you
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people sharing all the world, you
But I'm not the only one
The uneducated John Lennon wrote that.

NO u don't understand because you went to a LIBERAL COLLEGE the indoctrinate you to remain stupid ass idiot.

35 Shocking Facts That Prove That College Education Has Become A Giant Money Making Scam

The following are 35 shocking facts that prove that college education in America has become a giant money making scam….

The Student Loan Debt Bubble

#1 After adjusting for inflation, U.S. college students are borrowing about twice as much money as they did a decade ago.

#2 According to the College Board, college tuition is absolutely soaring. The following comes from a recent CBS News article….

Average tuition and fees at public colleges rose 8.3 percent this year and, with room and board, now exceed $17,000 a year, according to the College Board.

#3 Average yearly tuition at private universities in the United States is now up to $27,293. That figure has increased by 29% in just the past five years.

#4 In America today, approximately two-thirds of all college students graduate with student loan debt.

#5 In 2010, the average college graduate had accumulated approximately $25,000 in student loan debt by graduation day.

#6 According to the Student Loan Debt Clock, total student loan debt in the United States will surpass the 1 trillion dollar mark in early 2012.

#7 The total amount of student loan debt in the United States now exceeds the........

35 Shocking Facts That Prove That College Education Has Become A Giant Money Making Scam - The American Dream
Yea, a liberal college that taught engineering. Because we all know, engineers are liberals.
I used the GI Bill and the company I worked at paid a portion and I worked full time and when to school at night.

All that means I don't understand. But a moron who never went to college and who thinks college is bad for America understands what I don't because I have experience and they don't.

Yea

makes perfect sense.

to

a

moron.

Look; if you're walking around in this world and you observe how people with college educations live and how people without live, you will understand the value that this society places on college diplomas. Is it right? Who knows. But it is the coin of the realm right now. It opens doors for you to have this diploma. I tend to think that employers place Waaaay too much emphasis on it. Typing 70WPM is like the 40 yard dash in football. Unless you're a novelist or wide receiver, when are you going to need either skill? My formal training is in logistics management. Very few people need the skills acquired from the courses they took in college; they need the degree that taking those courses afforded them. The sheet of paper is worth more than everything it took to get it. It's a hideous equation we've drawn for ourselves in this world. How sad.

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky

It isn't hard to do
And no religion too

But I'm not the only one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
A brotherhood of man

But I'm not the only one
Very few people need the skills acquired from the courses they took in college

Where does this bullsh!t come from?

And John Lennon wasn't uneducated. He worked every single day.
Our Town: Calgary music teacher gave John Lennon a few guitar tips

Not everything can be taught in a classroom, but if you are studying to be an engineer or a doctor, you can't learn it on your own. You need to go to school.

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky

It isn't hard to do
And no religion too

But I'm not the only one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
A brotherhood of man

But I'm not the only one
Very few people need the skills acquired from the courses they took in college

Where does this bullsh!t come from?
Well, like when I took Pharmacy Technology....they have these two formula's Clark's Rule and Young's Rule. One uses age, the other uses weight. We spent time learning these skills in addition to flow rates, etc... Then in the real world, the IV pump does the calculation for you and the rules are built into the computer as well. Learning the skill wasn't a total waste of time...but it was close. I think if you were to poll any large number of techs or nurses across the nation, you would find very few ever have to do the math. And that is a direct correlation to the job if you're a pharmacy tech. The skills you waste time learning that are not in your major have even less of an impact on your life.

And John Lennon wasn't uneducated. He worked every single day.
Our Town: Calgary music teacher gave John Lennon a few guitar tips

Not everything can be taught in a classroom, but if you are studying to be an engineer or a doctor, you can't learn it on your own. You need to go to school.

I think you know what I meant.

27% is still a pretty low figure, considering kids major in something expecting to become employed in that field. And only 27% do ? That's terrible.

Forum List

Back