Is Brady better than Joe Montana?

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
The league is different, but I thought I would start this conversation.

Tough call, but I have to say no.

Super Joe didn't have a running game and won a SB, and was the best clutch QB i ever saw.

Super Joe didn't have a running game and won a SB, and was the best clutch QB i ever saw.

Yeah, but Joe Montana had better recievers than Brady has had. Brady has done more with less. I would call this one a wash.

• Banned

Yeah, but Joe Montana had better recievers than Brady has had. Brady has done more with less. I would call this one a wash.

Its true Brady almost went to the super bowl with Jabbar Gafney and Reche caldwell.

Yeah he never did really have a running game at one time there in san fran so gotta go with superJoe.Plus Joe Cool came to kansas city and in his FIRST year without knowing or working previously with ANYBODY on that team,he STILL took the Chiefs to their first AFC title game in a quarter of a century.25 years and they havent won a playoff game there in Kc since then.He was at the twilight of his career when he did that and you got to remember,he also had recievers he had to throw to that dropped the ball at the slightest of impact.Joe was just amazing at being super clutch.I'll never forget that pittsburgh steelers game at arrowhead stadium.4th and 5 with under a minute to play.If Montana doesnt make that clutch throw then right then and there,they dont tie the game to send it to overtime and then eventually win it so that the chiefs go to their first AFC title game in 25 years.

Last edited:
That's a good question.

As of right now, the answer is no, but Brady's career isn't over yet.

To me, its not so much that the game has changed because it really hasn't all that much since Montana played. What has definitely changed is the structure of the league and the salary cap on all teams. Montana did not have a salary cap to deal with so the 49ers used to stack their teams. On the other hand, Montana never lost a SB let alone being a heavy favorite, and completely destroyed teams such as the Dolphins and the Broncos. The Pats have lost the SB and have won 2 of 3 on FGs at the end of the game.

I also would say no right now. But Brady does have more time. If he continues his play consistently, then I say he will be better.

I would have to agree but he also had Jerry Rice to throw to. I think Rice and Montana made each other look good. Rice wouldn't have the number either if it wasn't for Montana, prime example Steve Largent. Just imagine the numbers he could have put up if he had someone like Montana throwing to him.

That's a good question.

To me, its not so much that the game has changed because it really hasn't all that much since Montana played. What has definitely changed is the structure of the league and the salary cap on all teams. Montana did not have a salary cap to deal with so the 49ers used to stack their teams. On the other hand, Montana never lost a SB let alone being a heavy favorite, and completely destroyed teams such as the Dolphins and the Broncos. The Pats have lost the SB and have won 2 of 3 on FGs at the end of the game.

A win is a win.

And in order to get into FG range, they needed a clutch QB.

The other reason i got to say that Brady hasnt yet matched Montana's greatness is like Toro said,Montana never lost a superbowl but also, the other reason I dont think Brady is quite as good as Joe is Montana had mobility when he was young,Brady never has.what made Joe "JOE" was that when his protection broke down,he could scramble on the run and make something out of nothing.Brady without that great protection he gets from that front line of his in New England,he would be nothing as evidenced in the superbowl loss to the Giants.The protection wasnt there and Brady couldnt make something happen when he needed to when it counted most. My sports illustrated superbowl issue I have from the 49ers/dolphins game talks in there about how the difference in that game for the Dolphins and 49ers was when the protection broke down for the 49ers,Montana could scramble and make things happen but Marino could not.That was the same thing for Brady in that superbowl loss.Manning made something happen with that miracle throw that Plaxico Burrus made that amazing catch on with pressure all over him in that game,Brady didnt deliver when it counted most like Manning did.Brady has to win at least one more superbowl to match Joes before I rank him up there with Joe Cool.

Last edited:
That's a good question.

A win is a win.

Yabut,

55-10 is more impressive than 20-17.

That's a good question.

A win is a win.

Yabut,

55-10 is more impressive than 20-17.

Meh ....

It's the close games and nail biters that brings out the hero in athletes.

There's nothing clutch in a 55-10 game.

Meh, the real MVP was the fucking turd DB from Cincy dropped an int. that hit him in the numbers the play before the TD pass to Taylor .......

Forum List

Back