Is Brady better than Joe Montana?

Meh, the real MVP was the fucking turd DB from Cincy dropped an int. that hit him in the numbers the play before the TD pass to Taylor .......

true.Joe DID get help in that superbowl victory on that one.something else you got to consider though is Belicheck is a cheater and it was later learned he cheated in the Rams superbowl victory as well.Soon as Brady can win one more superbowl and go to another team in the TWILIGHT of his career and take that team to an AFC title game despite having receivers who drop the ball at the slighest of impact,I'll put Brady in the same catagory as Joe then.Joe proved that he made J J Birden, Wille Davis and Keith Cash much better players and wide receivers than they really were and elevated their play with his presence cause look what happened to those players once Joe retired,they dissapeared from football and you never heard from them again a few years later down the road.

Something else people seem to forget when saying Joe had outstanding receivers to throw to in his superbowls is that was only the case in the superbowls against the Broncos and Bengals.Then he had Jerry Rice and John Taylor to help him look good but that wasnt the case in his FIRST superbowl against the Bengals or against the Dolphins.He didnt have Jerry Rice and Taylor at that time to throw to and as someone else mentioned,didn't have a strong running game either.

Last edited:
exactly.and like i said before,give him an average line thats not outstanding that doesnt give him all the time in the world to sit back there and wait for a receiver to get open,as evidenced in that superbowl loss to the Giants when he didnt have very good protection,and he isnt all that amazing.again what made Joe "JOE" was when his protection broke down,in his younger days when he DIDNT have that much talent around him to work with when he went to his first two superbowls,he was like Elway,he would scramble and make something out of nothing which was key to him having so many comeback victorys in his career.

not even close.....Montana never lost a Super Bowl & he never cheated to win one either.....

These are different eras

And now the league that has SO many rules that benefit/protect QB's and receivers... so there is an easier chance for QB's to have good stats...

Championships and Wins mean something, but it is a whole team that does that. So while I will add it to boost a rating, I will never purely use that as an argument for greatness..

Joe was probably the most accurate and clutch QB I ever saw... I easily have him in a top 5 discussion.. I do not even put Brady top 10 nor do I really see him ending up in the top 10 when his career is over.. I really do not see him pushing out/ahead of any of the following: Johnny U, Montana, Marino, Starr, Staubach, Fouts, Graham, Jurgensen, Baugh, Favre, Elway, or Tarkenton... I do not even consider Brady the best in his era, as I would put him behind Manning (who I also do not have in the top 10, yet.. though he has a greater chance of doing it than Brady)

Tough call, but I have to say no.

Super Joe didn't have a running game and won a SB, and was the best clutch QB i ever saw.

Yeah, but Joe Montana had better recievers than Brady has had. Brady has done more with less. I would call this one a wash.
Can't agree there.

Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon ain't exactly hall of famers, and the half back, Ricky patton only gained about 550 yards for the season.

The league is different, but I thought I would start this conversation.

Tough call! I say yes. The game is faster, with bigger and stronger players. Brady nearly had the perfect season and that is no small feat. Montana never flirted with 19-0 nor did he go perfect in the regular season.

I have the top 5 down: Brady, P. Manning (Yep I put Manning over Montana also), Montana, Elway and Marino

Last edited:

Tough call! I say yes. The game is faster, with bigger and stronger players. Brady nearly had the perfect season and that is no small feat. Montana never flirted with 19-0 nor did he go perfect in the regular season.

I have the top 5 down: Brady, P. Manning (Yep I put Manning over Montana also), Montana, Elway and Marino

A top 5 without even a sniff of Unitas or Graham??? PUH-LEASE

And it was not Brady that almost went 19-0... that was the Patriots...

And if you were purely gong on that, then why not have Greise in on your list? For in fact he is the only QB to be in charge of an undefeated team

And if you were purely gong on that, then why not have Greise in on your list? For in fact he is the only QB to be in charge of an undefeated team

Yeah those guys are better than Manning as was Namath.

Namath was a chump.. horrible completion % and td to INT ratio, even for his day.. him and Bradshaw are the 2 most OVERRATED QB's in the HoF

Namath was a chump.. horrible completion % and td to INT ratio, even for his day.. him and Bradshaw are the 2 most OVERRATED QB's in the HoF

Favre holds the record for INT's. May want to add him to that list of overrated QB's.

Favre holds the record for INT's. May want to add him to that list of overrated QB's.

I don't ENTIRELY disagree with that.. I would not put him as high as many would... but he does/did have more TD's than INT's... something Namath and Bradshaw can never say.. Namath and Bradshaw got into the HoF from Sb stuff and media hype... not from what they actually did, day in and day out.. they benefited from the beginning of the media coverage.. they really could not hold a candle to the true greats

I don't ENTIRELY disagree with that.. I would not put him as high as many would... but he does/did have more TD's than INT's... something Namath and Bradshaw can never say.. Namath and Bradshaw got into the HoF from Sb stuff and media hype... not from what they actually did, day in and day out.. they benefited from the beginning of the media coverage.. they really could not hold a candle to the true greats

I can't stand Bradshaw, so it's tough for me to be unbiased about him. Where do we put Steve Young and Troy Aikman?

I can't stand Bradshaw, so it's tough for me to be unbiased about him. Where do we put Steve Young and Troy Aikman?

Probably top 15-20... along with the likes of Stabler, Moon, Dawson, and the like

[/QUOTE] And if you were purely gong on that, then why not have Greise in on your list? For in fact he is the only QB to be in charge of an undefeated team[/QUOTE]

Actually Bob Griese didn't really lead the Fins that year. He was hurt after week 2 or 3 and didn't return until the SuperBowl. Earl Morral lead the Fins. Just some 411.

FWIW - Here's my Top 5 Best QB ever:

1. Marino
2. Marino
3. Marino
4. Marino
5. Marino

Honorable Mention - Dan Marino

Forum List

Back