Is Atheism Depressing?

If only everyone were as well advised as I am.

Most of my advice comes from the bible, btw.

Atheism = despair

1) If you believe the universe is a random mess, and humans are just a collection of chemicals, and your loved ones' lives may be extinguished forever at any moment obviously you will be depressed.

interesting observation to make about people you have no understanding of...

but the atheists i know are probably happier than the overly religious types i've known.

No....the entire bible.

Where did I stone anyone? *yawn*. What a completely irrelevant edit that was.

Last edited:
Things are as things are (sort of a play on the meaning of YHWH).

Does anyone find thermodynamics depressing?

Not as such, but I have never been happy with the 2nd law. I have just never been able to attain thermal equilibrium, even when isolated. That's pretty depressing.

[...] If you believe the universe is a random mess, and humans are just a collection of chemicals, and your loved ones' lives may be extinguished forever at any moment obviously you will be depressed.

On the other hand, believing in the God of the Bible (I.E. the genocidal tyrant who reportedly plans to condemn to eternal Heck any soul with the audacity not to place "HIS" glorious ass on a pedestal to be 'worshiped' and 'praised') ...is clearly indicative of a much healthier mindset!

On a totally unrelated note, the first to *formally define the criteria for a belief to be considered “delusional” (and, BTW, these definitions are still in wide-circulation today) was Karl Jaspers, an early-to-mid 20th century psychiatric philosopher.

His three main criteria are:

·certainty (held with absolute conviction)

·incorrigibility (not changeable by compelling counterargument or evidence to the contrary)

·unlikelihood or falsity of content (implausible, bizarre, or simply untrue)

Jaspers argued that shrinks shouldn’t consider a belief delusional based solely on its content; they should do so based primarily on the manner in which a patient holds the belief in question.

With all this in mind, I wonder what's better: the idea of facing the cold realities of life head on (no matter how depressing that might seem); or deluding oneself in life for the sake of spending the remainder of eternity in 'the afterlife' kissing the butt of some Divine Douchebag...

If I had religion I would be depressed. Because the thing I worshipped left me to hang. Especially since im not the kind of person to blame god for everything good and not when it is bad. Why am I worshipping this thing that dont care if I live or die? (could have worded this better lol)

You have a Father that never takes His eyes off of you, gave you an instruction book to follow while you are here, and has an open line of communication directly to you. He came to earth to remove any stumbling block that might keep you from him, places angels in front and behind you to keep you safe, fights your battles for you, forgives your sins against Him, raises you to the level of royalty, and sets His table for you, and yet you want more?

Maybe if he rode to work with you so you can use the fast lane................ :eusa_angel:

1) If you believe the universe is a random mess, and humans are just a collection of chemicals, and your loved ones' lives may be extinguished forever at any moment obviously you will be depressed. ...

FWIW, as an atheist, I don't believe any of those things. Is it possible you're just starting with bad assumptions?

As men learn more about the nature of reality, the more absurd the notion of randomness becomes. I don't know it string theory will ultimately prove correct, if branes and micro-dimensions are provable. Kaluza–Klein is well supported, which further supports string theory. None of this points to a random occurrence, but rather an extraordinarily ordered universe and even intelligence.

However, the intelligence manifest in such a reality has nothing to do with a bearded goat-herder or a carpenter.

I'm not an atheist because science does not support such an idea - but neither does it support the absurd fables of Christianity. Reality is more than we grasp, much more.

As men learn more about the nature of reality, the more absurd the notion of randomness becomes. I don't know it string theory will ultimately prove correct, if branes and micro-dimensions are provable. Kaluza–Klein is well supported, which further supports string theory. None of this points to a random occurrence, but rather an extraordinarily ordered universe and even intelligence.

However, the intelligence manifest in such a reality has nothing to do with a bearded goat-herder or a carpenter.

I'm not an atheist because science does not support such an idea - but neither does it support the absurd fables of Christianity. Reality is more than we grasp, much more.[/QUOTE

Great read brother! I can totally relate. I dont doubt a supreme being at all. "God"? No

[...] If you believe the universe is a random mess, and humans are just a collection of chemicals, and your loved ones' lives may be extinguished forever at any moment obviously you will be depressed.

On the other hand, believing in the God of the Bible (I.E. the genocidal tyrant who reportedly plans to condemn to eternal Heck any soul with the audacity not to place "HIS" glorious ass on a pedestal to be 'worshiped' and 'praised') ...is clearly indicative of a much healthier mindset!

On a totally unrelated note, the first to *formally define the criteria for a belief to be considered “delusional” (and, BTW, these definitions are still in wide-circulation today) was Karl Jaspers, an early-to-mid 20th century psychiatric philosopher.

·incorrigibility (not changeable by compelling counterargument or evidence to the contrary)

Jaspers argued that shrinks shouldn’t consider a belief delusional based solely on its content; they should do so based primarily on the manner in which a patient holds the belief in question.

With all this in mind, I wonder what's better: the idea of facing the cold realities of life head on (no matter how depressing that might seem); or deluding oneself in life for the sake of spending the remainder of eternity in 'the afterlife' kissing the butt of some Divine Douchebag...

You are so far away from the truth it makes you look small.
It has nothing to do with God's ego, and everything to do with the preservation of His children.
GOD SENDS NO ONE TO HELL.
We are willing participants in the trip if we choose to follow father Satan. Our choice, not God's. God is just kind enough to warn us, that's all.
And as for the afterlife, or more accurately, the continuation of our lives, the children of God, will be busy ruling and reigning with our brother Christ. Right here, on earth. No ass kissing necessary, but if it is, we'd do well to kiss His ass on Main Street, for what he saved us from. It is not a requirement to praise the Lord, considering who He is and the love He has for us, it is a privilege.

It has nothing to do with God's ego, and everything to do with the preservation of His children.
We are willing participants in the trip if we choose to follow father Satan. Our choice, not God's. God is just kind enough to warn us, that's all.
And as for the afterlife, or more accurately, the continuation of our lives, the children of God, will be busy ruling and reigning with our brother Christ. Right here, on earth. No ass kissing necessary, but if it is, we'd do well to kiss His ass on Main Street, for what he saved us from. It is not a requirement to praise the Lord, considering who He is and the love He has for us, it is a privilege.

What flabbergasts me is this...atheists willfully reject God...they call him names, they call Christians names, and worse...then they rant against the cruelty of a God who won't accept the very people who persecute Christians into heaven along with those who love God.

How could God be righteous if he eventually doesn't weed out those who state over and over again they've no desire to know him or be anywhere near him or his children?

What flabbergasts me is this...atheists willfully reject God...they call him names, they call Christians names, and worse...then they rant against the cruelty of a God who won't accept the very people who persecute Christians into heaven along with those who love God.

How could God be righteous if he eventually doesn't weed out those who state over and over again they've no desire to know him or be anywhere near him or his children?

Not sure what you're saying here. Are you suggesting your god is going to smite us or something?

No, what I'm saying is I find the mindset that to be a good God, God must accept and reward people who consistently attack him and say they want nothing to do with him, and then cite the incidence of people bringing misery upon themselves through their willful rejection of God as evidence that he doesn't really care.

Forum List

Back