Is Atheism Depressing?

Atheism is cool

1. Get to sleep late on Sundays
2. No need to be judgemental over others
3. You do things because they are the right thing to do not because you are afraid of Gods wrath
4. You don't worry about what happens when you die.....you just die

I would suspect atheists do not miss what they never had or have never experienced. Just a guess since I am a person of faith.

No, what I'm saying is I find the mindset that to be a good God, God must accept and reward people who consistently attack him and say they want nothing to do with him, and then cite the incidence of people bringing misery upon themselves through their willful rejection of God as evidence that he doesn't really care.

Wait, so not tormenting people for all eternity is "rewarding people?"

Atheism is cool

1. Get to sleep late on Sundays
2. No need to be judgemental over others
3. You do things because they are the right thing to do not because you are afraid of Gods wrath
4. You don't worry about what happens when you die.....you just die

1. Church is not a requirement of being a person of faith and there is a Mass every day and at different times in my faith if needed.

2. I have seen judgmental behavior from atheists.

3. I do things because they are the right things and I do not fear God ever. I have only heard that claim from non-believers.

4. I never worry about death. It is another part of my journey that I have enjoy quite a bit so far.

No, what I'm saying is I find the mindset that to be a good God, God must accept and reward people who consistently attack him and say they want nothing to do with him, and then cite the incidence of people bringing misery upon themselves through their willful rejection of God as evidence that he doesn't really care.

Huh... ok. But, how can they claim your god doesn't care if they don't even believe in him? That doesn't even make sense. Isn't sort of a moot point?

I am not following you. An atheist does not believe in God. Why would you think an atheist would expect acceptance or reward from something they don't believe in? How can you want nothing to do with something you don't think exists?

I think you are projecting your own beliefs onto others. You would be better served, assuming you actually care to understand, by looking past your beliefs and looking at it from the perspective of a non-believer.

For example, are you miserable because you don't believe in Odin? Are you rejecting Odin, wanting nothing to do with Odin, or do you simply see this mythical being as irrelevant. I suspect it is the latter. Think of it in those terms and you will have a better idea of the actual mind set.

FWIW, as an atheist, I don't believe any of those things. Is it possible you're just starting with bad assumptions?
You are an atheist and yet you believe in an orderly universe and an afterlife? Really?

FWIW, as an atheist, I don't believe any of those things. Is it possible you're just starting with bad assumptions?
You are an atheist and yet you believe in an orderly universe and an afterlife? Really?

Is there a handbook on what atheists believe and don't believe? Not trying to being snarky, but I have no idea since I never really took the time to learn what a non-believer believes. lol

Is there a handbook on what atheists believe and don't believe? Not trying to being snarky, but I have no idea since I never really took the time to learn what a non-believer believes. lol

I think you would find it as various as believers. Atheists are just people, after all. No different than any other people.

I think you would find it as various as believers. Atheists are just people, after all. No different than any other people.

Yes, I know a handful for certain and I am sure some who have not revealed. I just was wondering about statements made here about what an atheist believes about the universe and wondered if there are some universal beliefs that accompany atheism.

I am not following you. An atheist does not believe in God. Why would you think an atheist would expect acceptance or reward from something they don't believe in? How can you want nothing to do with something you don't think exists?

I think you are projecting your own beliefs onto others. You would be better served, assuming you actually care to understand, by looking past your beliefs and looking at it from the perspective of a non-believer.

For example, are you miserable because you don't believe in Odin? Are you rejecting Odin, wanting nothing to do with Odin, or do you simply see this mythical being as irrelevant. I suspect it is the latter. Think of it in those terms and you will have a better idea of the actual mind set.

Actually, no. You can see in this thread the rants against the maniacal genocidal blah blah blah....the anger towards a God they reject, claim doesn't exist, based on their belief that he's a mean guy who shouldn't allow us to reap the consequences of our own stupidity.

It's schizo. If you don't believe he exists, what's with the anger?

If you're angry with him, how can you say he doesn't exist?

Some say they are angry that he forgives, some say they're angry that he allows consequences and/or levels judgement.

It's just...baffling.

The one thing all atheists appear to agree about is that if God exists, he should never exert authority against those who willfully reject him and his followers.

There is a secret book atheists are given, but if they divulge the contents they are excommunicated!

Yes

A handbook and a secret handshake

What's the matter with Jesus? Forgiveness? Kindness to neighbors?

The quote was actually mine.

And as for what is wrong with Jesus, the main thing is that he never existed. There is no more evidence of an actual Jesus than there is for an actual Spiderman.

Sorry, but thems the facts. Paul existed, there are LOTS of documents about him - but Jesus? Not so much.... The Sanhedrin didn't bother to document his trial and execution, nor did the Romans, of course Pontius Pilate was NOT the governor of Judea at the time, so that did throw a monkey wrench in the whole thing.

The Pilate letters are from a Novel and the Josephus reference is a long proven fraud by the Catholic Church.

the genocidal tyrant who reportedly plans to condemn to eternal Heck any soul with the audacity
Primitive ideas about God (along with profound understanding) can be found in the OT. Jesus describes God as loving and forgiving. According to Christianity we condemn ourselves to Hell (both in this world and the next) when we embrace hate. God hopes we don't choose this path, but He respects our freedom.

Karl Jaspers, an early-to-mid 20th century psychiatric philosopher.
You know Jaspers rejected atheism.

Last edited:

Actually, no. You can see in this thread the rants against the maniacal genocidal blah blah blah....the anger towards a God they reject, claim doesn't exist, based on their belief that he's a mean guy who shouldn't allow us to reap the consequences of our own stupidity.

It's schizo. If you don't believe he exists, what's with the anger?

If you're angry with him, how can you say he doesn't exist?

Some say they are angry that he forgives, some say they're angry that he allows consequences and/or levels judgement.

It's just...baffling.

The one thing all atheists appear to agree about is that if God exists, he should never exert authority against those who willfully reject him and his followers.

In some cases, that is true. People are funny. Sometimes it is hard to equae a persons actions to their supposed beliefs. There are lots of folks on these boards who claim to be Christians but are full of hate for anyone they see as even slightly different.

I often read something from an atheist and think what they really are is a theist who is pissed off at God. However, I try to take people at their word and not presume I know everything there is to know about them. After all, if the subject matter was not important to them, they would not be here discussing it.

I expect the vast majority of atheists won't be here, or on any other board, because God is simply a non-issue for them.

I think the vast majority of atheists are under the power of Satan. I feel sorry for them. They don't not believe..they are highly motivated to attack.

And that's sad, because they have been given the opportunity of salvation, and are rejecting it with both hands....and then complain because the world is an unhappy place. The world is unhappy because people reject God.

Yes, I know a handful for certain and I am sure some who have not revealed. I just was wondering about statements made here about what an atheist believes about the universe and wondered if there are some universal beliefs that accompany atheism.

You can be an atheist and feel strongly about religion. Just as you can be a theist and not care less about it. Obviously, if someone is here they have an opinion they want to share, so you can't use all of us as a true sampling of the rest of humanity.

I doubt you are going to find any universal beliefs among any group. Just universal behaviors.

Forum List

Back