Is Atheism Depressing?

Thunderbird

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
Atheism = despair

1) If you believe the universe is a random mess, and humans are just a collection of chemicals, and your loved ones' lives may be extinguished forever at any moment obviously you will be depressed.

Here's Bertrand Russell, one of history's most prominent atheists: That man is the product of causes which had no prevision of the end they were achieving; that his origin, his growth, his hopes and his beliefs, are but the outcome of accidental collocations of atoms; that no fire, no heroism, no intensity of thought and feeling can preserve an individual life beyond the grave; that all the labours of all the ages, all the devotion, all the inspiration, all the noonday brightness of human genius are destined to extinction in the vast death of the solar system, and that the whole temple of man's achievement must inevitably be buried beneath the debris of a universe in ruins — all these things, if not quite beyond dispute, are yet so nearly certain that no philosophy which rejects them can hope to stand.

Wow, lighten up - lol!

2) Christianity offers a noble purpose and a supportive community.

Religion 'linked to happy life'

quote: Data from thousands of Europeans revealed higher levels of "life satisfaction" in believers.

Look at the substitutes chosen by atheists to replace Jesus' message of forgiveness, kindness, and human dignity: Marxism, Fascism, Randian Objectivism, Utilitarianism, superstition - none possess any merit.

3) Religious Affiliation and Suicide Attempt

quote: Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation.

The high suicide nations are also the atheist-prone nations. Meanwhile the low suicide nations are religious.

4) Report from the Mayo Clinic on December 11, 2001: In an article also published in this issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Mayo Clinic researchers reviewed published studies, meta-analyses, systematic reviews and subject reviews that examined the association between religious involvement and spirituality and physical health, mental health, health-related quality of life and other health outcomes.

The authors report a majority of the nearly 350 studies of physical health and 850 studies of mental health that have used religious and spiritual variables have found that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes.

Check out this article: Are religious people healthier than nonreligious people?

Even skeptics must acknowledge the facts: Evidence that Religious People are Healthier and Happier

5) Worldwide the atheist faith, never very successful, is in sharp decline. Atheist-prone nations in the West are precisely those with sagging birthrates. The majority of the world's atheists are in China and China is experiencing a religious boom despite the brutality of the CCP elite. I think the realization that their faith is dying will push some atheists toward despair.

quote regarding the global atheist population: Atheists will drop precipitously from 3.7% to 2.8%

LINK

Atheism naturally leads to emptiness, over-compensation, desperation, boredom, isolation, Narcissism, even suicide. Misery loves company and many atheists seem to derive a cheap thrill from trying to take away other people's happiness. Spite is the foundation of the atheist movement built by the media bosses.

Last edited:
Atheists consider their beliefs...reality...so the real question is..."is reality depressing"?

And...before you answer...even Christians have their "reality" as well. So...why would ones "reality" be worse than another's "reality"? I mean..ya know...reality is reality...no matter how ya slice it! Right?

so the real question is..."is reality depressing"?
I don't think so.

Ahhhh...you're having a good day, huh? :lol

Seriously though...I don't see any reason why Atheists would be any more depressed than the church going Christian. Bottom line...we all have our good and bad days...such is life no matter what one's religious beliefs are. At least that's my two cents worth. :)

I thought Bertrand Russell was an agnostic, because he did not think there was enough evidence to say whether there is a God or not.

If I had religion I would be depressed. Because the thing I worshipped left me to hang. Especially since im not the kind of person to blame god for everything good and not when it is bad. Why am I worshipping this thing that dont care if I live or die? (could have worded this better lol)

Well that is pretty much the opposite of what Christianity is. Perhaps you should read a little bit of the bible before you run with that.

Well that is pretty much the opposite of what Christianity is. Perhaps you should read a little bit of the bible before you run with that.

Im not really into fiction stories. Im more of a reality non-fiction kinda guy

That's fine, but don't muse on the meaning of Christianity if you can't be bothered to read their manual.

I don't find it depressing at all - rather the opposite.

But I do think there's a naturally tendency to see it that way from the prism of a religious upbringing. It's a little like finding out Santa Claus isn't real. Is that 'depressing' for kids to find out? Maybe, in the short term. But it's part of growing up and coming to terms with reality.

I have read a good size portion of it. This was when my imagination was at it's fullest, and I still thought it was hipocritical, judgemental and down right abusive. People interpret different religions differently. stereo-typing, history, opinions etc

It's a little like finding out Santa Claus isn't real. Is that 'depressing' for kids to find out? Maybe, in the short term. But it's part of growing up and coming to terms with reality.

Perhaps atheists aren't coming to terms with reality: What is the “fine-tuning” of the universe, and how does it serve as a “pointer to God”?

Reality is believing in a spirit from a fiction book? I personally dont doubt a supreme being. I do doubt "God". I doubt all religions.

Atheists consider their beliefs...reality...so the real question is..."is reality depressing"?

And...before you answer...even Christians have their "reality" as well. So...why would ones "reality" be worse than another's "reality"? I mean..ya know...reality is reality...no matter how ya slice it! Right?

Right! One's attitude about life depends upon their perception of reality and whether they look at the bright side or the dark side.

I do think atheist activists are miserable people, generally speaking.

Right! One's attitude about life depends upon their perception of reality and whether they look at the bright side or the dark side.

I do think atheist activists are miserable people, generally speaking.

I can concur to that. With activist as the key word

Things are as things are (sort of a play on the meaning of YHWH).

Does anyone find thermodynamics depressing?

Things are as things are (sort of a play on the meaning of YHWH).

Does anyone find thermodynamics depressing?

I wouldn't dream of voicing an opinion, nor advising others, about something I haven't considered, or studied, since I was about 11 years old.

That would be ignorant.

Forum List

Back