Is Anyone Else Here Beside Myself an Audiophile?

Discussion in 'Music' started by 007, Dec 9, 2011.

1. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,946
    I've pretty much been into radios then stereos and now home theaters for a long, long time. I've owned most major brands of receivers and countless brands of speakers. However, I've never owned or even been able to hear for that matter, any B&W speakers. I've found a pair of B&W DM601 S3's that I'm thinking of buying to use as surrounds in my home theater, and I'm wondering if there is anyone here who has heard B&W's or even owns them. I'd love to hear your opinion.

My theater:

TV: 55" LG LED LCD
    Receiver: Onkyo TX NR808
    Sony PS3 - Game counsel and bluray player
    Stanton T.92 USB digital turn table
    Front mains: Acoustic Research Classic 30's - rare, flagship model
    Center: Wharfdale Diamond 9.CM
    Subwoofers: Monster Cable THX200 - (two)
    Rear Surrounds: crap - need replacing.

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,926
    o my o my...i am not...not at all....i dont have a radio/stereo still got a square tv...i have no clue what a sound bar is...but know that i will need one with a flat screen lol.....advice of hopeful friends that my square tv will die and i will be forced to ungrade....they are young.....i just fiddle with the tv till its fixed much to their dismay

nice oil lamps.....those i would like to see pics of

what all is on the top shelf on the left?

3. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,946
    Just a bunch of a little knick knacks and collectibles on the shelf bones, but here's the oil lamps. I've collected those for many years too. The green one on the left is what they call vaseline glass. It has depleted uranium in it and it glows under a black light. And then there's my Aladdin, which still needs a mantle...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,680
    Looks like my Dorm Room back in the 80's when I was still single. I had a Denon turntable (can't remember which model) and a 300 watt amp (can't remember that model either) Went through various speaker combinations to include Bose 301's.
    I sold most of it when I got sent back overseas and never replaced any of it.

5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,926
    nice lamps....you couldnt see but the top of the far left one ....in first pic....

but now i am off topic as always......

i dont do the music thing...i am comfie with silence.....but it drives my ipod friends crazy....i still enjoy the art of conversation....there is nothing wrong with light jazz....and classics but damn this new stuff...

i like the sounds of silence......lol....damn i need to bitch slap myself for that

6. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,946
    No I'll tell ya bones, even though I'm still pretty heavy into my theater and the gear, I don't listen to it as much as I used to. I find myself more often than not nowadays sitting at my computer or cleaning or what not in total silence myself... until the ringing in my ears starts to get to me.

7. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,946
    So you're not a big home theater or stereo person either? Well, you're pretty much right in the vast majority. I don't have any friends that have anything close to my set up. They probably don't see the point in spending that kind of money on it. I have well over $10K invested in what's in the picture.

Still waiting to hear from someone who has or has heard Bowers & Wilkins speakers.

8. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,680
    I "Googled" Bowers & Wilkins speakers. LOLed at the ones that look like streamlined cochlear implants! :D

9. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    Lovely, Pale Rider. Thanks for sharing your passion for sound. My ears are so sensitive, I like low-key sounds such as pan flute music, but can't be around too much noise with the exception of birdsong and some classical music.

I love glass and collect blue glass items. Unfortunately, they don't photocopy well with my printer because they're too dimensional.

I see your christmas lights are up and about your stereo. That's so neat. :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. 007

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,946
    I bet you didn't LOL at the price. They're world renowned, high end speakers. I do agree their look may be an acquired taste though. I have my eye on a different, conventional looking model. A lower end model actually, but loved and reviewed very well by owners and professionals none the less, the DM601 S3.

Doesn't look like there's going to be a single person on this board that owns or has heard Bowers & Wilkins either... bummer.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011