Is America To Blame?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Dr Grump, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Take all the emotion out of the argument and let's get to the basic premise. What do you guys think of American hegemony, or 'imperialism' for want of a better word - whether it be economical or militarily?

I find it weird/bizarre/strange that a lot of the extreme right in America (and on this board) are all about "freedom", "pursuit of happiness", "freedom of speech" yadda, yadda, yadda, yet your country has absolutely no problems interferring in the inner mechanisms of other countries - overtly (Iraq/Afghanistan/Panama), or covertly (Chile/Central America)..

How do you marry both trains of thought and not expect some kind of payback?

Just wonderin'.....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    lol

3. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    It's a serious question....

4. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    A question that has been done over and over. Frankly I tire of the Debate.

Suffice to say that if we do not fill the roll of the worlds Main power. Someone else will.

5. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Why not just mind your own business? Can't hurt....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    Definition of IMPERIALISM
    : imperial government, authority, or system
    : the policy, practice, or advocacy of extending the power and dominion of a nation especially by direct territorial acquisitions or by gaining indirect control over the political or economic life of other areas; broadly : the extension or imposition of power, authority, or influence <union imperialism>

Imperialism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

imperialism [&#618;m&#712;p&#618;&#601;r&#618;&#601;&#716;l&#618;z&#601;m]
    n
    1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the policy or practice of extending a state's rule over other territories
    2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an instance or policy of aggressive behaviour by one state against another
    3. the extension or attempted extension of authority, influence, power, etc., by any person, country, institution, etc. cultural imperialism
    4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a system of imperial government or rule by an emperor
    5. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the spirit, character, authority, etc., of an empire
    6. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) advocacy of or support for any form of imperialism

imperialism - definition of imperialism by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

:eusa_eh:

7. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I'm probably not what you would call extreme right, but I am right-leaning with a strong libertarian political stance. I don't like the US meddling in foreign affairs at all, with the exception of doing legitimate business. As for Iraq/Afghanistan, I say leave them alone and let them live their lives the way they see fit. Our presence probably makes them hate us all the more. They see us as a moral cesspool (and that's easy for me to understand), and they don't want our influence. I feel the same way about any part of South or Central America as well. I'm not really sure where you were going with the "payback" question.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Well, I did put the word in speech marks for a reason. That being said does the US meet any of the explanations:

1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the policy or practice of extending a state's rule over other territories: Yep
    2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an instance or policy of aggressive behaviour by one state against another Yep
    3. the extension or attempted extension of authority, influence, power, etc., by any person, country, institution, etc. cultural imperialism Yep
    4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a system of imperial government or rule by an emperor No
    5. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the spirit, character, authority, etc., of an empire Maybe
    6. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) advocacy of or support for any form of imperialism Maybe

9. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    It's called blowback, and it's real. I think it's funny that Petraeus sees the Koran being burned as incentivizing extremists to attack us, but not our military occupations, embargoes, or bombings.

Is America to blame? No. Is the U.S. government? They certainly deserve much of the blame.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  10. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Well, there was a perceived shock at 9-11 occurring by members of the US public. I'm not talking shock at the ACTUAL event - that is a given, but the kind "I can't believe this happened to us" and "why" did it happen.

Of all the thoughts that went through my mind that day, not ONCE did I think those two thoughts. I was not surprised at all that it happened, nor why it happened. So I guess that is the 'payback' element of the OP...