Is 'African American' a race or an ethnicity?

Is 'African American' a race or an ethnicity?

• Total voters
I don't see a difference between Afro-American and Afro-Caribbean. In both cases, the first part is the person's race, the second part is their ethnicity/region of origin.

• Banned
I don't see a difference between Afro-American and Afro-Caribbean. In both cases, the first part is the person's race, the second part is their ethnicity/region of origin.

So you're saying that 'African' is a race, but not an ethnicity?

• Banned
I see we have one vote for Neither.

I'm definitely interested in hearing the argument for that vote. :eusa_whistle:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:
African Americans are more of a "breed" than anything.

They were brought to the America's after passing a physical inspection before their boat ride.

Then once they were purchased by their new owners.

The men and women were selectively paired up for procreation in order to produce the biggest and strongest offspring possible for manual labor.

In essence, it was no different than what ranchers or farmers do to enhance the value of their livestock.

And created the people we now call African American today.

Last edited:
There is no such thing unless you have a neighbor who recently moved here from that continent. Kinda like "Israeli" They mostly exist in their own minds.

It depends. African-American, as used in the U.S., can refer to both race AND ethnicity, and is used interchangeably. The term African-American, however, is typically not used to describe an African immigrant to the U.S., who might use their nation of origin as a reference. Many African countries are predominantly black, however, in countries where there is likely to be racial ambiguity, for further clarity, a news outlet may include race with the country of origin. That's why media outlets often refer to Charlize Theron as a "white South African" and Nelson Mandela as a "black South African."

However, the U.S. Census uses following terms to describe race (and I think they are the most common terms throughout the U.S.):

• White
  • Black or African American
  • American Indian or Alaska Native
  • Asian
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander

Still, the Census still essentially uses the five population groups/races originally described by Blumenbach.

No African is the race, American the nationality.

African is not a Race. Negroid is a race.
List of Human Races

American is not an ethnicity.
Lists of ethnic groups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No African is the race, American the nationality.

Technically, African American is currently used to describe both race and nationality simultaneously. Though, I agree: it's a terrible term, and most of the black folks I know would prefer to just be called black.

Last edited:

They were brought to the America's after passing a physical inspection before their boat ride.

The men and women were selectively paired up for procreation in order to produce the biggest and strongest offspring possible for manual labor.

In essence, it was no different than what ranchers or farmers do to enhance the value of their livestock.

:confused:

unpleasant as the post is it is basically true.

He means you're bigger, stronger, and faster than the average African. And, that your lineage includes a healthy dose of "white owner" in it (most black Americans are between 20-50% white).

Last edited:

He means you're bigger, stronger, and faster than the average African. And, that your lineage includes a healthy dose of "white owner" in it.

Well I don't know how much slavemaster roots I have my dad is pretty dark, however my mom is Irish so I'm half white anyways.

Forum List

Back