Is a $5,000 deductible Obamacare policy fair to the poor?

Not all who qualify for a subsidy qualify for cost sharing.
Of Course! Not all that go on the exchange are poor....even the middle class can get some premium subsidy help if they are unable to get an insurance plan through their employer.

I posted the link earlier that showed the income ranges per number of people in the family, that QUALIFY for cost sharing reductions. If you are married with near two hands full of kids you can make as much as $100,000 a year and still qualify for some Cost sharing reductions though.

I took a Dr. through the Exchange 2 adults and 6 kids, he made 100 G's and got a $1000 subsidy, I was stunned.

AGI of 100k?

Technically MAGI but yes,I found it repugnant....he in NO way needed the subsidy.

I was also having to turn away folks that only made 11500 :(
Question, would a land rich, cash poor senior, on Medicare, get a subsidy for their supplemental insurance?

Yes, it's all based on income.

Are
Not all who qualify for a subsidy qualify for cost sharing.
Of Course! Not all that go on the exchange are poor....even the middle class can get some premium subsidy help if they are unable to get an insurance plan through their employer.

I posted the link earlier that showed the income ranges per number of people in the family, that QUALIFY for cost sharing reductions. If you are married with near two hands full of kids you can make as much as $100,000 a year and still qualify for some Cost sharing reductions though.

I took a Dr. through the Exchange 2 adults and 6 kids, he made 100 G's and got a $1000 subsidy, I was stunned.

AGI of 100k?

Technically MAGI but yes,I found it repugnant....he in NO way needed the subsidy.

That's not his fault.

He's got 6 kids. 100k isn't rich for a family of 8. He's a middle class professional. Glad he can get the help.

Are you self employed?

Are

AGI of 100k?

That's not his fault.

He's got 6 kids. 100k isn't rich for a family of 8. He's a middle class professional. Glad he can get the help.

Are you self employed?

Yep.

Are

AGI of 100k?

That's not his fault.

Are you self employed?

Yep.

Then you know full well how income numbers can be manipulated

Are
AGI of 100k?

That's not his fault.

Are you self employed?

Yep.

Of course. Did you say that the doctor was self employed? I missed that

Doesn't matter, though. The subsidies are based on AGI. You have 6 kids and an AGI of about 100k....you get a subsidy. It is a good investment.

That is what we used to call "catastrophic coverage".

My friend, a single mom, working as a bank teller can't even take her kids to the doctor now that the bank dumped them all onto Obamacare.

She tells me she struggles to pay the premium, and still can't see the doc.

I didn't ask what the premium is, will try to remember when I go to the bank today.

What kind of working class people can handle a $5,000 deductible.

That in itself is a catastrophe.

Mine, through the evil Blue Cross/Blue Shield is $300.
The point is, that your title is incorrect and your assumptions about this woman's policy is probably incorrect as well.

The poor, yes, your title SAID the poor on the Exchange have to pay $5000 deductibles and that is simply NOT TRUE, the poor get extra help in paying those deductibles and copays, with a Silver plan, on the exchange....they may have opted OUT of the silver plan, but that was their decision not to get the extra help.

I don't believe you intentionally mislead us, I think you, along with a lot of other people are unaware of the full program for the poorest on the exchange.

It's not like it is ADVERTISED on TV that there are cost sharing programs for the poorest on the exchange in addition to their subsidy for the premiums.... you have to research to find these things out, which I did over a year or two ago, when all of you guys kept mentioning the $5000 deductibles for the poor...and I volunteered at the community church to help the poor sign up.

Are

That's not his fault.

Are you self employed?

Yep.

Doesn't matter, though. The subsidies are based on AGI. You have 6 kids and an AGI of about 100k....you get a subsidy. It is a good investment.

I did not intend to accuse you of manipulating yours.

And..........the fact remains....if you suffer a heart attack.....or cut your foot off in a lawnmower accident.....that $5k ends up being a fucking bargain.

Are
That's not his fault.

Are you self employed?

Yep.

You'll have to ask my accountant about that. I just follow her advice. I sure don't feel like I'm manipulating anything, though.

If one cannot afford to pay 5 G's it matters not whether it's 5 or 500

Many of the bronze plans are aggregate, that's where the 13000 Ded or thereabout comes in.

My friend, a single mom, working as a bank teller can't even take her kids to the doctor now that the bank dumped them all onto Obamacare.

I didn't ask what the premium is, will try to remember when I go to the bank today.

This kind of shit was happening before obamacare. The insurance jacked up the price but then offered an alternative where company pay less but you pay out of pocket. This sucks.

And I'm not arguing for personal reasons. Mines only $1000 a year.

Are
Are you self employed?

Yep.

You'll have to ask my accountant about that. I just follow her advice. I sure don't feel like I'm manipulating anything, though.
The GOP manipulated the tax code and investments in favor of the rich.

The poor dont vote. They don't think it matters. So they dont matter. You're winning! For now.

Most policies have co pays to see the doctor.

The deductible is usually when you go to the hospital.

Many of the bronze plans are aggregate, that's where the 13000 Ded or thereabout comes in.
You can't have a 13000 deductible.

The maximum out of pocket is 6 thousand something per individual

The point is, that your title is incorrect and your assumptions about this woman's policy is probably incorrect as well.

The poor, yes, your title SAID the poor on the Exchange have to pay $5000 deductibles and that is simply NOT TRUE, the poor get extra help in paying those deductibles and copays, with a Silver plan, on the exchange....they may have opted OUT of the silver plan, but that was their decision not to get the extra help.

I don't believe you intentionally mislead us, I think you, along with a lot of other people are unaware of the full program for the poorest on the exchange.

It's not like it is ADVERTISED on TV that there are cost sharing programs for the poorest on the exchange in addition to their subsidy for the premiums.... you have to research to find these things out, which I did over a year or two ago, when all of you guys kept mentioning the $5000 deductibles for the poor...and I volunteered at the community church to help the poor sign up.
She works, so, probably does not qualify.

If she is misinformed, does not surprise me, she is a Democrat who voted for Obama twice.

You can't have a 13000 deductible.

The maximum out of pocket is 6 thousand something per individual

I know but some of the Bronze plans are "aggregate"meaning you gotta hit them both before the insurance company pays anything.

It sucks.

AGI of 100k?

Question, would a land rich, cash poor senior, on Medicare, get a subsidy for their supplemental insurance?

Yes, it's all based on income.
You said they would get help on their SUPPLEMENTAL Insurance? I don't think so, not on the Exchange....they may qualify for MEDICAID to help them with what Medicare does not pay, but for a supplemental Insurance plan of their own, I'm not so sure you are correct on that?

This kind of shit was happening before obamacare. The insurance jacked up the price but then offered an alternative where company pay less but you pay out of pocket. This sucks.

Mine is $300.

Mine is $300.
A year? I thought mine was great.

Forum List

Back