Irresponsibility!! The NEW Vision for government.

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Navy1960, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Since when did it become the responsibility of the government to come to the rescue of ANYONE that cannot pay a mortgage. We have had in this country for as long as I can remember something called "responsiblity". However now, rather than place some of the blame upon the very people that get into a situation where they no longer can afford their homes, and use the system of foreclosure and bankruptcy in place we decide its now our responsibility to not only pay our own bills but our neighbors too. Why because when they signed their mortgage and knew what the payments were going into the mortgage and still could not make those payments , thats fine, it's not their fault because no one has any responsibility anymore. I find this position completely unbelievable and cannot understand why someone , anyone would advocate taking money from literally millions upon millions of Americans that pay their mortgages every month on time to prop up those that don't.

"Bankruptcy protection for homeowners. Some Democrats see this bill as a golden opportunity to renew their push for a proposal that would allow bankruptcy judges to unilaterally restructure home mortgages for those facing bankruptcy. Such a measure failed earlier this year when it was included in a larger housing bill because Republicans balked at granting the power to bankruptcy judges. But now that the federal government is poised to assume responsibility for hundreds of billions in bad debt, Democrats see a good selling point in pitching the idea that consumers should get a break, too."

• Social spending and infrastructure funds. The most liberal Democrats are pushing to have an economic stimulus package — with unemployment extensions, infrastructure spending and aid to states — tacked on to the bill.

Democrats eye bailout ??? and more - Yahoo! News

So now, it's okay to be irresponsible and NOT pay your bills, because why? "change" is on the way to help you.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    I rather see the homeowners be bailed out then these companies.

Plenty of these people had mortgages they could afford but the cost of living has increased dramatically.

I've used this example before but:

Your making say 10, everything costs 7.

Everything now costs 15, your still making 10.

So you get a small pay raise to 12, but everything now costs 17.

You take out loans to afford 17, but you'll end up in debt for least 20 due to interest rates.

So now your making 12, but your in debt for least 20.

That's what happened in this country to many middle class Americans. To responsible and irresponsible people alike.

3. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    While, I feel bad Robert for anyone that loses their home, that's NOT how our society works. If someone borrows money to pay for a home and cannot afford to pay for it then they lose the home or find an alternative source to finance it. However, that does not mean I am any less an advocate for the responsibility of Mortgage houses and financial institutions set to benefit from this bailout.

4. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,695
    I think it is in our best interest to let this fcuking country tank. Fuck every last one of them..

5. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    You haven't even seen the worst of things for this whole stock market thing yet.

10% of New York's budget is from the bonuses that these people make on Wall Street. TEN PERCENT OF ALL OF NEW YORK'S BUDGET!

It's crazy that they're being paid that much that they alone can supply 10% of New York's budget.

6. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    My financial advisor told me this morning that, what they are hearing the failures at the top of the banking system is just a indication of whats to come. That literally 100's of small banks are set to do the same thing as Fannie.Freddie, then you have the Airlines set to go sometime next month and ask for what I am told is 34 billion to bail them out. I tend to agree with you on that Robert.

7. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,695

and then there is the auto industry.

8. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
  9. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    It's my point exactly Willow, what happened to the days when a business made a bad decision everyone said. " well they screwed up and now are bankrupt" I seem to remember something along those lines with WorldCom, Enron, and many many others. So the difference now is what? they are a bigger company? Well send them to bankruptcy court and let the court bust them apart and sell the profitable assets to help pay for the non profitable ones. What really, make me wonder here, is how the hell is ANYONE going to keep taxes from going up with all these bailouts and tacking on tons of new social programs as well.

10. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,695
    The one and only way to stop this shit is to stop working. Everybody needs to sit down on their ass and stop working.