Iraq and Middle east countries

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
I have seen numerous posts on muslim blog sites that repeatedly claim that Iraq is a "muslim" country. For some reason, until today, I have never questioned that. But, I got to thinking, why do they have a "muslim" claim to those lands. They certainly were not the first people there. If their claim is like our claim, that this land is our land because we have made it our land, then maybe they have some shred of truth.

However, Saddam did NOT make Iraq a "muslim" country. Under Saddam all religions could openly practice. Before Saddam, it was a King, British, Ottoman Empire and so forth (list no exhaustive). I just fail to see how they can claim the country as "muslim."

Further, many muslims feel that the "islamic" governments running their countries are not true islamic governments. Therefore, it seems to me, that following their logic that there is no true islamic government, then how in the HE double hockey sticks can they claim the middle eastern lands as "muslim."

Zhukov said:
Because the majority of people living there are moslems.

Fair enough. But, does that mean that America is an "Anglo-Christian" country since that group is the majority?

Yurt said:
Fair enough. But, does that mean that America is an "Anglo-Christian" country since that group is the majority?

The fact that Muslims practice their religioun and their government somewhat simultaneously and interwoven makes it a bit different than the analogy to the USA.
However, I can't imagine anyone being naive enough to think that this country wasn't founded by a judeo-christian ethic. The fact is, the majority of the founding fathers were christians of some type. They believed that the dictum of religion, the "ten commandments" if you will were the very principles upon which to found a government. Not lying, cheating, stealing, murdering, etc. were those such principals. The only difference between them and what they fought against was that the king said he got his power from god and the fathers said it was from the people.

Sound like a familiar argument??

Moi said:
The fact that Muslims practice their religioun and their government somewhat simultaneously and interwoven makes it a bit different than the analogy to the USA.
However, I can't imagine anyone being naive enough to think that this country wasn't founded by a judeo-christian ethic. The fact is, the majority of the founding fathers were christians of some type. They believed that the dictum of religion, the "ten commandments" if you will were the very principles upon which to found a government. Not lying, cheating, stealing, murdering, etc. were those such principals. The only difference between them and what they fought against was that the king said he got his power from god and the fathers said it was from the people.

Sound like a familiar argument??

:clap: :clap: Exactly. Even those that were 'Deists' bought into the 10 Commandments, as they benefitted society!

Yurt said:
I have seen numerous posts on muslim blog sites that repeatedly claim that Iraq is a "muslim" country. For some reason, until today, I have never questioned that. But, I got to thinking, why do they have a "muslim" claim to those lands. They certainly were not the first people there. If their claim is like our claim, that this land is our land because we have made it our land, then maybe they have some shred of truth.

However, Saddam did NOT make Iraq a "muslim" country. Under Saddam all religions could openly practice. Before Saddam, it was a King, British, Ottoman Empire and so forth (list no exhaustive). I just fail to see how they can claim the country as "muslim."

Further, many muslims feel that the "islamic" governments running their countries are not true islamic governments. Therefore, it seems to me, that following their logic that there is no true islamic government, then how in the HE double hockey sticks can they claim the middle eastern lands as "muslim."

Yurt, I understand the point you are trying make. Every where they go, they claim the lands as "theirs" (the Muslims). It is only a matter of time before they start declaring parts of the US "Muslim" territories. They eventually do that in every region in which they start to gain substantial numbers.

Yes, the majority of the people living in Iraq are Muslim. But there were large numbers of Jews and Christians in Iraq but most have left (last year I read an article about the last Jewish community in Iraq. It was closing as the last Rabbi had died and everybody else was going to go to Israel). There once were large numbers of Jews and Christians living in many other "Muslim" nations (Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt, Syria, Morrocco, Lybia, etc.). However, their numbers are getting smaller and smaller every day thanks to the "peaceful" Muslims.

Let me ask you this, if Islam is such a peaceful relgion, why is it that they either kill off or run off all the non-Muslims in every area in which they become a majority?

freeandfun1 said:
Yurt, I understand the point you are trying make. Every where they go, they claim the lands as "theirs" (the Muslims). It is only a matter of time before they start declaring parts of the US "Muslim" territories. They eventually do that in every region in which they start to gain substantial numbers.

Yes, the majority of the people living in Iraq are Muslim. But there were large numbers of Jews and Christians in Iraq but most have left (last year I read an article about the last Jewish community in Iraq. It was closing as the last Rabbi had died and everybody else was going to go to Israel). There once were large numbers of Jews and Christians living in many other "Muslim" nations (Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt, Syria, Morrocco, Lybia, etc.). However, their numbers are getting smaller and smaller every day thanks to the "peaceful" Muslims.

Let me ask you this, if Islam is such a peaceful relgion, why is it that they either kill off or run off all the non-Muslims in every area in which they become a majority?

Thanks, that was the point I was getting at. Why should they claim every land as theirs. If they do, then they can not expect others not to go to war to defend their own lands.

I really believe that as a religion they are very confused. There are many on the one hand who believe that they really are about peace. Yet they support, either by silence or tacit agreement, the actions of "jihadist." At its heart, I really do not believe it is a religion of peace. I am not an expert, I am basing this on my time spent on muslim chat sites.

I posted a new thread in response to a thread putting down what the Coalition have done. I asked, "What good have the insurgents done?" Innocents die at their hand almost everyday. Guess what, 8 replies, not a single direct response, only they brought up more about how the coalition is worse than them. One person said "Well, two wrongs don't make a right, but they have to do it b/c its our fault." Implying that even if the insurgents are wrong, it is ok, because we are still there. They simply fail to understand that we can not leave until they stop acting like idiots and ruining Iraq's infastructure.

IMO

Forum List

Back