Iran Is Threatening

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Well since no one picked up the thread for Iran, I will. Interesting just to watch how far the Euros will go with this:

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/08/11/wiran11.xml

Hand over nuclear weapons and know-how, Iran tells Britain
By Anton La Guardia, Diplomatic Editor
(Filed: 11/08/2004)

Iran has issued an extraordinary list of demands to Britain and other European countries, telling them to provide advanced nuclear technology, conventional weapons and a security guarantee against nuclear attack by Israel.

Teheran's request, said by British officials to have "gone down very badly", sharply raises the stakes in the crisis over Iran's nuclear programme, which Britain and America believe is aimed at making an atomic bomb.

Iran's move came during crisis talks in Paris this month with senior diplomats from Britain, France and Germany.

The "EU-3" were trying to convince Iranian officials to honour an earlier deal to suspend its controversial uranium enrichment programme, which is ostensibly designed to make fuel for nuclear power stations but could also be used to make fissile material for nuclear bombs.

Iranian officials refused point-blank to comply, saying they had every right under international law to pursue "peaceful" nuclear technology.

They then stunned the Europeans by presenting a letter setting out their own demands.

Iran said the EU-3 should support Iran's quest for "advanced (nuclear) technology, including those with dual use" - a reference to equipment that has both civilian and military applications.

The Europeans should "remove impediments" preventing Iran from having such technology, and stick to these commitments even if faced with "legal (or) political . . . limitations", an allusion to American pressure or even future international sanctions against Iran.

More astonishingly, Iran said the EU-3 should agree to meet Iran's requirements for conventional weapons and even "provide security assurances" against a nuclear attack on Iran.
This is a reference to Israel's nuclear arsenal, believed to include some 200 warheads and long-range missiles to deliver them.

The EU-3 are still debating over how to respond, but British officials said the Iranian letter was "extremely surprising, given the delicate state of process". Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, will have to decide whether to adopt a more confrontational policy.

America is demanding that the board of governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), which meets next month, refer Iran to the UN Security Council for possible sanctions. US officials are also openly discussing "covert" means of disrupting the Iranian nuclear programme, while Israel has openly threatened military action.

However, there were signs yesterday that the next report of Mohammed ElBaradei, the IAEA director general, may give Iran a boost.

A key mystery for the past year has been the source of traces of highly-enriched uranium (HEU) found by IAEA inspectors at several sites in Iran. Teheran claimed this was "contamination" of equipment imported from other countries, rather than proof that it had secretly made HEU.

According to diplomats, inspectors have confirmed that in at least one case the contamination did come from Pakistan, as Iran claimed.

Other contamination issues remain unresolved, and may never be settled. Moreover there are several other open questions.

I didn't reply to it because the thoughts of what is LIKELY to happen from all this is scary. It amazes me HOW WE ALL sit here not realizing how close this world is to MAJOR conflict. I really do think that Iran is going to be a flash-point very soon and frankly, it scares the shit outta me!

We cannot sit by and let them get nukes. If we do, they will blackmail us as sure as taxes and death.

freeandfun1 said:
I didn't reply to it because the thoughts of what is LIKELY to happen from all this is scary. It amazes me HOW WE ALL sit here not realizing how close this world is to MAJOR conflict. I really do think that Iran is going to be a flash-point very soon and frankly, it scares the shit outta me!

We cannot sit by and let them get nukes. If we do, they will blackmail us as sure as taxes and death.

I share your fears. What really troubles me though, how long can Europe keep giving into this type of nonsense? Do they truly believe that talking about this stuff, when handed those kinds of demands, is going to stop the certain path Iran is marching down?

freeandfun1 said:

Agree in all respects. They see themselves now on the brink of being a "major" player and that is indeed very scary.

We are not just close to MAJOR conflict - it is here; it is just a matter of how far it escalates and when.

I was following a thread on another site that is implying pretty much the same thing. I believe this entire thing to bring with it some very dire circumstances.

Kathianne said:
I share your fears. What really troubles me though, how long can Europe keep giving into this type of nonsense? Do they truly believe that talking about this stuff, when handed those kinds of demands, is going to stop the certain path Iran is marching down?

The Euroweenies have a history of appeasment and once again, it is going to come back to bite them in the butt.

I hope this does not explode into a nuclear conflict, but I am afraid it will. I cannot even believe I am saying that, but it is the truth. It seems as if the majority of the nation is ignorant on this matter.

HGROKIT said:
Seems as though the launch went off without a hitch http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040811/D84D3MEO0.html

I bet my next paycheck they have a weapon to put on that missle and it is not conventional.

They want to be the FIRST to hit Israel and test the world's resolve. Hell they don't care, it is all in the name of their fanatacism and allah.

I agree with that too. Oh god, it will be nightmares for sure tonight.

Mr. P said:
I've said it before.....Can you say imminent THREAT in French or German?
http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10029
Naw, the French and Germans are in their hip pockets or should I say turbans. These two countries will try and weasle and appease.

If your sarcasm was meant the other way, then I agree - but even if you spoke it to them in their own tounge, they would not understand.

Al Sadr is being financed by Iran and some suspect many of the insurgents in Iraq were trained in Iran. So in a sense, the war with Iran has begun. Kinda like the Chinese during the Korean war.... but this time, hopefully, our Generals will be allowed to deploy whatever means needed to defeat the enemy. No Truman in office now, but if Kerry gets elected, oh shit!

freeandfun1 said:
Al Sadr is being financed by Iran and some suspect many of the insurgents in Iraq were trained in Iran. So in a sense, the war with Iran has begun. Kinda like the Chinese during the Korean war.... but this time, hopefully, our Generals will be allowed to deploy whatever means needed to defeat the enemy. No Truman in office now, but if Kerry gets elected, oh shit!
Much agreed, however, we neither have a MacArthur or Patton today - not that any of our elected precious would let tehm have their way either.

FREEDOM

Kathianne said:
Great source. FYI if you click the # at top right of post, it creates a direct link, so you don't have to cruise through the whole thread. :dance:

Thanks...I'll try and remember that. I thought I had copied just my post...sorry folks.

Mr. P said:
Thanks...I'll try and remember that. I thought I had copied just my post...sorry folks.

No need to be sorry! Good to get that out for everyone! Handy feature to the new board! :thup:

My position remains as it has been since even before 911. It is time for the USA to use limited nuclear attacks to deal with these enemies. In particular, neutron bomb attacks, focused to wipe out the facilities and key personel involved.

It is inevitable that if this all does break out into a larger scale conflict, nukes of some kind will be used. If we use them before it gets that far, it may cause our enemies to rethink their chances of any form of success.

How's that for being a "Liberal" ;-)

:blowup:

Wade.

wade said:
My position remains as it has been since even before 911. It is time for the USA to use limited nuclear attacks to deal with these enemies. In particular, neutron bomb attacks, focused to wipe out the facilities and key personel involved.

It is inevitable that if this all does break out into a larger scale conflict, nukes of some kind will be used. If we use them before it gets that far, it may cause our enemies to rethink their chances of any form of success.

How's that for being a "Liberal" ;-)

:blowup:

Wade.

Not sure if I should take you at your word, but regardless, I hate to say it, but I am DEATHLY afraid that nukes will be used within the next say, 3 - 5 years MAX!

freeandfun1 said:
Not sure if I should take you at your word, but regardless, I hate to say it, but I am DEATHLY afraid that nukes will be used within the next say, 3 - 5 years MAX!
Free, I am not so sure we have years here. I would like to think we do, but am afraid we do not. I don't think cooler heads are gonna prevail here. IMO there are too many shit for hole countries out to make a name for themselves against Israel or the US.

Where has AJ been during all this the last few day?

Well, that is kinda my point.

I was actually surprised when Saddam had failed to use dirty bombs to secure Kuwait in the 1st Gulf War. There is absolutely no question that Iran has dirty bomb capability right now. The longer we let them run their centrafuges the more capable they become.

My opinion is that we need to stop these contries from gaining the ability to make such materials. If they want nukes so bad... lets give um some! Let's get it over with, eliminate the threats, and get it over with. It is stupid to just wait until eventually one of these 3rd world countries gets and uses a dirty or critical mass bomb.

Lets establish a precident - nuke research or development buys you an immeadiate US demonstration of why you cannot have them! At least we can use clean neutron bombs to make this point.

Wade.

you don't HAVE to use the military option with iran....except maybe to blow up the tehran facility...other than that...you have HUUUUUGGGGEEE pro-western, pro-democratic movements on the grassroots level in Iran....million of young kids aching to overthrow their oppressive gov't...all they need is funding and support...we should give money and aid to their cause as well as fund the west coast iranian, pro-democracy radio stations that broadcast into Iran....these kids over there will take care of the overthrowing and next to a free and democratic iraq, the islamo-fascist agenda will be cooked.
BALEEDAT.

I agree this should be tried. But history tells us this kind of movement cannot succeed through peaceful means. The Teheran government has the military at their disposal, and are not open to compromise.

Time is a critical factor, we cannot let them develop into a serious threat hoping the Iranian people will take care of the problem. They have the ability to produce serious dirty bombs NOW! They have the ability to deliver them to targets with 800+ miles NOW! They are within a few years of developing critical mass bombs as well.

The time to take out the Iranian ability to wage nuclear war on any level is VERY SOON! I'd try the diplomatic course first, but I wouldn't give it more than maybe till the end of the year to work.

What we should not do is engage in a ground war. Just like in Iraq, we should neutron bomb the facilities and infrastructure that threatons us, and leave the internal politics to the indiginous population, having made the clear statement that "no matter what political system you choose, you cannot develop WMD's of any kind".

Wade.

Forum List

Back