Internet Sales Tax

Internet companies are already taxed under business. What they are trying to do is to have internet stores, etc. collect taxes for state, city and county,whichever is applicable. Many states have already done this. Get your rant right for a change and put your politics in the dumper. This is about placing brick and mortar on the same level as internet.

I don't support this action but I know it's coming whether it's done on the federal level or at the state level.

Should be taxed at your local rate for any purchase, online or not, regardless of where the site's located or distribution center is. But there shouldn't be any additional taxes.

If ya buy something online and your local state's sales tax is 6% ya pay the 6%. But nothing extra.

So why would anyone buy online anymore...
Now a sales tax?
Are there shipping charges on most Items online?

I guess some might have them,some may not.

Anyway bottom line....
Has there ever been a proposed tax that a Democrat said no to?...

You pay for shipping no matter where you buy it from. You may not see it called that but it's hidden in the price whether it's online or local. The business also pays some sort of Business Tax as well as taxes on any profits they may have.

The taxes proposed are for the State and does not include city or county taxes. For instance here, Sales Taxes locally run from 7 to 8%. But the state tax is 3%. County is 1.5%. The rest is City. If they use just the State Tax that would be fine. But if you try and include the city and county, the tax structure becomes a nightmare for the online business.

Is Dingy Harry seeking ways to add to federal and local coffers through taxing internet sales? That's what the author of this article seems to feel. Read it @ Harry Reid 146 s Tax-Raising Ploy is a Political Bamboozle Newsroom The Independent Institute

And the soon-to-be-out-of-a-job wimp, made it happen. Last night I ordered a Christmas gift from Amazon to be shipped to someone who lives in Nevada.

:ack-1:

Item Subtotal: $249.00
Shipping & Handling: $10.62
Gift Wrap: $4.99
Promotion Applied: -$10.62
Total Before Tax: $253.99
Estimated Tax: $19.24
Order Total: $273.23

Certainly in Europe some kind of VAT collection from US stores is inevitable. At the moment it is not a level playing field if I can buy jeans from the US for €100, but in Finland they cost €100 + 24% VAT.

That will have to change, and I imagine it will be the same with state/city sales taxes.

Is Dingy Harry seeking ways to add to federal and local coffers through taxing internet sales? That's what the author of this article seems to feel. Read it @ Harry Reid 146 s Tax-Raising Ploy is a Political Bamboozle Newsroom The Independent Institute

And the soon-to-be-out-of-a-job wimp, made it happen. Last night I ordered a Christmas gift from Amazon to be shipped to someone who lives in Nevada.

It's not the Feds. It's the States. Amazon charges tax if the state it's either being shipped from or shipped to has a mandatory online tax.

There is a level playing field ALREADY.... Internet businesses collect taxes for their State in which their business operates in, on everything they sell on the net that ships to anyone in their state buying it.

Mom and pops, brick and mortars, collect state taxes on anyone who buys from their store in person or over the phone or internet who buys from their store and ships within the State.

IF a brick and mortar has a customer who lives in another state and asks the brick and mortar to ship their item to their home in another state, the store DOES NOT charge them the state taxes for Maine, as an example, if it is being shipped to Florida or any other state outside of the State the business operates in.

SAME AS INTERNET SHOPS.

THE PLAYING FIELD IS LEVEL ALREADY.

A state or 49 other states that I am not a citizen of, or do not have a business in their State should not in any way be able to force me to collect their state sales taxes for them. PERIOD.

If States are having problems with their own citizens cheating on paying their sales taxes on the goods they have bought on line at Tax filing time, then THAT is THAT STATE'S problem and should never be put on my shoulders to do FOR THEM.

These states need to find their own way to solve their own tax collection shortages by instituting a tax that they themselves, within their own State, can handle....don't be forcing ME to do their dirty work for them, when I am not even a citizen of their State.... if they want to PAY ME for my time to do it for them and it was optional, I might consider it...:D

It's not the Feds. It's the States. Amazon charges tax if the state it's either being shipped from or shipped to has a mandatory online tax.

I just noticed that (Amazon order tax) this month. Never saw it before. And it seemed some of the items got taxed and others didn't.

A quick Googly-Moogly* tells me this state has had an internet tax for five years, but this is the first time I've seen it on an invoice.

From the page I read:

The General Rule: Physical Presence in the State
The current default rule throughout the United States is that you must collect sales tax on Internet sales to customers in those states where your business has a “physical presence.” The physical-presence rule is based on a 1992 United States Supreme Court decision, Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, that addressed the obligations of mail-order businesses to collect sales tax on out-of-state sales; the decision has been extended to include online retailers. Generally speaking, a physical presence means such things as:

• having a warehouse in the state
  • having a store in the state
  • having an office in the state, or
  • having a sales representative in the state.

(* apologies to Screamin' Jay Hawkins)

Last edited:
Sales tax isn't about revenue, it's about control. The piddling bucks the feds can glean from tapping Ebay sales doesn't compare to what they lost in the billions of dollars wasted on failed green technology. It ain't about money, it's about political power.

So why would anyone buy online anymore...
Now a sales tax?
Are there shipping charges on most Items online?

I guess some might have them,some may not.

Anyway bottom line....
Has there ever been a proposed tax that a Democrat said no to?...

Yes, Democrats have said: Read my lips: no new taxes

You pay for shipping no matter where you buy it from. You may not see it called that but it's hidden in the price whether it's online or local. The business also pays some sort of Business Tax as well as taxes on any profits they may have.

The taxes proposed are for the State and does not include city or county taxes. For instance here, Sales Taxes locally run from 7 to 8%. But the state tax is 3%. County is 1.5%. The rest is City. If they use just the State Tax that would be fine. But if you try and include the city and county, the tax structure becomes a nightmare for the online business.

All retail software already comes with this. Each quarter you simply push a button to make payment.

So your S&H was free. WOW!

Why would there be an estimated tax? Amazon already knows how much the tax is by zip code of the recipient.

Sales tax isn't about revenue, it's about control. The piddling bucks the feds can glean from tapping Ebay sales doesn't compare to what they lost in the billions of dollars wasted on failed green technology. It ain't about money, it's about political power.

Aren't green project loans +$30M?

What's wrong with green? My electric bill for my green home in Coronado, CA is a CREDIT.

The sales tax doesn't go to the Feds. It goes to the states. And it's up to each state to either tax or not. There is a basic fed law but it's pretty scimpy. Most states will go beyond that. The state I live in has. And so has a handful of states. In the end, I predict every state in the nation will go that route.

They're still trying everything possible – and out of public sight.
THREE NEW WAYS GOVERNMENT THREATENS TO TAX THE INTERNET – AS SOON AS THURSDAY
According to the link http://www.tax-news.com/news/Shortterm_Extension_For_US_Internet_Tax_Moratorium____65883.html the Internet Tax Freedom Act is due to expire Dec 11, 2014 and Harry Reid says he won't even let an extension come up for a vote!
January can't come too soon when Dingy Harry is put on a back bench and just perhaps we can regain some common sense in government taxing and spending.
Read the article @ http://humanevents.com/2014/12/08/three-new-ways-government-threatens-to-tax-the-internet-as-soon-as-thursday/
And, on the same theme, here's this story:
How Net Neutrality Regulations Will Harm Internet @ http://dailysignal.com/2014/12/08/net-neutrality-regulations-will-harm-internet-consumers/ with a decent analysis and links.

If they do this with an Internet tax for the separate States, then a National Sales tax will be easy peasy for them to add some day...imho.

Forum List

Back