Interesting post fom another board...

If the right wing had is way, we would be Afghanistan. They stand in the way of everything. Except wars. They like wars.

and if your people the FAR left had its way.....this whole Country would be going through what California is going through.....only worse......

Rdean,

Dont waste your time explaining the horrors of war to cowradly, bloated, right-wing cowards. Those of us who have served understand what horror is.

Conservatives hate America because America is controlled by a Negro President.

Rdean,

Dont waste your time explaining the horrors of war to cowradly, bloated, right-wing cowards. Those of us who have served understand what horror is.

oh here he is.....the phony military guy who would not give the vets in that other thread were you made the same claim,only in that one you said you were a vietnam vet....... the questions they were asking you,for some reason....you said i dont have to answer your questions.....and left the thread.....and those little boys Yukon....remember them?.....they know what horror is too....

Rdean,

I'm one of those who have served and I call BULLSHIT on your reply and rdeans reply.
Care to tell me what your MOS or AFSC was? Oh and Jehovah's Witnesses don't join the military they are anti government which I do believe that you are a Jehovah's Witnesses. I remember your 144,000 comment.

Last edited:
Rdean,

I'm one of those who have served and I call BULLSHIT on your reply and rdeans reply.
Care to tell me what your MOS or AFSC was? Oh and Jehovah's Witnesses don't join the military they are anti government which I do believe that you are a Jehovah's Witnesses. I remember your 144,000 comment.

You rotting, cowardly, vile, disgusting, lying, waste of human flesh. How dare you challenge my service or my patriotism.

Rdean,

You rotting, cowardly, vile, disgusting, lying, waste of human flesh. How dare you challenge my service or my patriotism.

Welcome_to_the_Internet-20091014-193943.jpg

The Roadster was brought up only to counter the claims that these cars are necessarily inefficient and lacking in range. The Roadtser proves that that electric can be feasible for most applications* and meet IC in speed and general performance, while meeting most peoples' travel needs.

*I've not heard of any electric motor than can possibly be used to replace big Diesel engines in semis, dump trucks, and the like
Oh, you can get a thousand-HP electric motor -- look no further than the nearest railroad. That's not the limitation. The limitation is the battery. A motor that big has to have an engine-driven alternator to power it.

That's not entirely true. It is true that even in an emission free strictly electric vehicle, you are most likely consuming electric made from fossil fuels. However, the grid does not work as simplistically as that. More power used does not necessarily mean more fuel being burned - It's more of a plateau. Moreover the power plant is far more efficient per U/M than an internal combustion engine that only powers one vehicle.
Yes, to the efficiency; no to the "More power used does not necessarily mean more fuel being burned" thing.
Ever had to rent a commercial generator to provide power to a home or building? If you had you'd see what I mean...
Generators is what I do for the Air Force. So I know what I'm talking about when I disagree with you.

You just agreed with him :eusa_eh:

"... no to the 'More power used does not necessarily mean more fuel being burned' thing." That statement is incorrect.

It's too early to individually quote and respond to each aspect of this.

There's plenty of time when power plants are at idle and burning more fuel than is necessary to provide the power being used, particularly at night (When the most EV's are likely to be charging). In other words, you can draw more power off the grid without the power plant having to burn more to compensate. This speaks to the carbon reduction aspect, but not the money saved aspect, as you'll still get charged. On a macro level, it's actually fair to say it may save everyone money by stabilizing the power needed throughout the day, hence making power plant operation more efficient for the utility provider. It's also fair to say that the resulting drop in demand for gasoline will save everyone money, not just EV owners.
Again, this is incorrect. A power plant has to burn a fixed amount of fuel just to keep itself in operation...power for the plant itself, steam to keep the offline turbines hot, stuff like that. Every single kilowatt of power drawn by the grid over that requires additional fuel to be burned. No fuel is burned that isn't necessary. Fuel is the single biggest cost of a power plant; they're not going to burn any more than they need to. A pound of burning fuel represents a lot of energy...if it isn't redirected to the grid as electricity, it still has to go somewhere as heat.

But you are correct that it would be better to recharge at night...demand is lower, so there would be less stress on the grid.
As far as taking a long time to recoup your investment, well there's just way to many variables to address that. 5 mile commute like myself, yes probably, even though my Dakota gets a whopping 14-17 MPG. It depends too much on what you drive now, how often/far, what the price of gas does, what the price of electric does, how much you spend on the EV, etc. In the right scenario it may not take as long as you think.
Agreed.
As far as this statement...
Generators is what I do for the Air Force. So I know what I'm talking about when I disagree with you.
What's to disagree with?
Your claim that "More power used does not necessarily mean more fuel being burned".
I rented one to power a 100-amp box some years ago when we had a fire at work... Damn thing waxed $60 worth of diesel a day... And in fact I kept overloading it and having to hit the breaker on the genny. And I damn sure never got no $1800 electric bill over there.

I know the big boys in your video are probably more efficient than the one I used, but the one I used is probably more akin to the ICE in a personal vehicle.
There is an economy of scale, certainly. The units in the video are rated at 750kW (although they'll hold an even megawatt if the current stays below 120 amps per phase -- the hot side of the turbos glow cherry red :)) and burn 50 gallons of fuel an hour at full load.

Rdean,

Oh, that's right...only leftists can challenge anyone's service or patriotism.

Electric vehicles don't eliminate pollution; they merely relocate it. And given the toxic materials used to make the batteries, they're more hazardous to the environment than fuel-burning engines.

What's the problem with the batteries?
Depends on the battery technology. Some, like the lead-acid batteries in the el cheapo electric vehicle linked to earlier, are highly toxic. Others, not so much.

The lithium-ion batteries used in the Volt, while not classified as toxic, are more expensive to recycle than the materials recovered are worth. It's cheaper to toss 'em in a landfill.

Rdean,

Has Rdean served in combat? For that matter, have you served in combat?

I have not served in combat and I'm fortunate to say that.

I served in the 3rd Battalion, 16th Field Artillery, 8th Infantry Division from 1975 to 1979 in Baumholder, Germany. I started off as an 82 Charlie, Forward Observer and was transferred into Military Intelligence where I worked for the last two years I served.

I'm glad I didn't see any combat. Most of the officers and many of the enlisted I worked with daily had served in Vietnam. For the few that did talk about the experience, I consider myself lucky that I didn't have to go through that.

And this is why I'm a strong supporter of the military and the need to compensate our military.

No one can tell me the Republicans support our military. Congressional votes are available for anyone who has the inclination to go look. Find out how Republicans have voted the last 10 years in support of our troops and they say, with a straight face, they support our troops. You can't, not with a straight face, it's not possible.

Spitting on Veterans

Unbelievably, the Bush administration opposes—and has even threatened to veto—an updated GI Bill for Iraq war veterans to give those who risk their lives in Bush’s war the same full college benefits the original GI Bill provided for veterans of World War II and Vietnam.

Even harder to believe, Sen. John McCain, the presumed Republican presidential nominee, also opposes the new GI Bill. McCain was a prisoner of war during Vietnam. Unlike Bush and Cheney, McCain actually knows the overwhelming sacrifices made by American soldiers sent into war by politicians.

We can’t really explain McCain’s opposition. We can only report the way he tries to explain it. McCain says he opposes full college benefits for soldiers who serve “only” one enlistment because too many of them might leave the military to attend college. In the course of that one enlistment, a soldier could be sent into active combat in Iraq or Afghanistan as often as three times

Jesus Christ in Heaven Who the fuck put Rdean in Military Intelligence!?

Do you see how understated McCarthy was that we were overrun with Marxists in our government?

Military Intelligence. Good Fucking Grief! What next TruthMatters was Miss Congeniality?

Forum List

Back