Institutional racism in the press

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Raheem Sterling accuses media of ‘fuelling racism’ after alleged abuse

The England international screen-grabbed a story that had appeared on MailOnline last January about his club-mate, Tosin Adarabioyo, under the headline: ‘Young Manchester City footballer, 20, on £25,000 a week splashes out on mansion on market for £2.25m despite having never started a Premier League match’. He went on to reference another story from October about City’s teenage midfielder, Phil Foden, buying a house which had carried the headline: ‘Foden buys new £2m home for his mum’.

This absolutely nails the issue.

The white guy is presented as doing an honourable thing. The black guy is shown as being in a materialist cocoon.

And yet they both bought houses for their mothers.

There is a long way to go.

The England international screen-grabbed a story that had appeared on MailOnline last January about his club-mate, Tosin Adarabioyo, under the headline: ‘Young footballer, 20, on £25,000 a week splashes out on mansion on market for £2.25m despite having never started a Premier League match’. He went on to reference another story from October about City’s teenage midfielder, Phil Foden, buying a house which had carried the headline: ‘Foden buys new £2m home for his mum’.

The white guy is presented as doing an honourable thing. The black guy is shown as being in a materialist cocoon.

You'll be an Islamist soon.

The England international screen-grabbed a story that had appeared on MailOnline last January about his club-mate, Tosin Adarabioyo, under the headline: ‘Young Manchester City footballer, 20, on £25,000 a week splashes out on mansion on market for £2.25m despite having never started a Premier League match’. He went on to reference another story from October about City’s teenage midfielder, Phil Foden, buying a house which had carried the headline: ‘Foden buys new £2m home for his mum’.

That is not a big deal.
In America we have racial discrimination policies in employment and education.
They call it Affirmative Action.
Millions of Americans are denied employment and college admission every year because of their race.

Last edited:

That is not big deal.
Millions of Americans are denied employment and college admission every year because of their race.
Sounds like we need it in the UK. You cant treat people as second class because of their colour. Its just shit.

You aren't confusing "MailOnline" with "the press", do you?

That is not a big deal.

And they are not white. The white unemployment rate is under the national rate.

The unemployment rate for black Americans, 6.6 percent.
The jobless rate for white people, 3.4 percent.
The overall national rate is 3.9 percent.

You aren't confusing "MailOnline" with "the press", do you?
I know,I know. But it is rarely so starkly put.

If it's otherwise rare, you have even less of a cause to accuse "the press" of institutional racism.

Of course, the Fourth Estate is part of society, and thus not free from, say, the "implicit bias" that mars society as a whole - which again is different from "institutional racism".

The point is, we all, including the press, should be paying prudent attention to the language we use, for that's the only way out of that quandary. As far as my perception goes, in the age of twitter and faceshit, that attention is on a steep decline, and precise argument gives way to the most deplorable, ill-thought-out, and mostly goofy "self-expression" with no regard to grammar, punctuation, or appropriate terminology, let alone sound judgment. It's also no surprise that outfits like MailOnline take advantage of that pathetic state of affairs, and happily pander to the baser instincts of their audience. It's even a bit of a surprise to see them being called out for it.

If it's otherwise rare, you have even less of a cause to accuse "the press" of institutional racism.

Of course, the Fourth Estate is part of society, and thus not free from, say, the "implicit bias" that mars society as a whole - which again is different from "institutional racism".

The point is, we all, including the press, should be paying prudent attention to the language we use, for that's the only way out of that quandary. As far as my perception goes, in the age of twitter and faceshit, that attention is on a steep decline, and precise argument gives way to the most deplorable, ill-thought-out, and mostly goofy "self-expression" with no regard to grammar, punctuation, or appropriate terminology, let alone sound judgment. It's also no surprise that outfits like MailOnline take advantage of that pathetic state of affairs, and happily pander to the baser instincts of their audience. It's even a bit of a surprise to see them being called out for it.
THE TRUTH ABOUT THE DAILY MAIL: TWO-THIRDS OF ASSESSED ARTICLES BREAK THE RULES ON PRESS STANDARDS

I think they are regularly called out on it. But footballers have great reach and this has shone a light into the darkness of the Daily Heil.

THE TRUTH ABOUT THE DAILY MAIL: TWO-THIRDS OF ASSESSED ARTICLES BREAK THE RULES ON PRESS STANDARDS

I think they are regularly called out on it. But footballers have great reach and this has shone a light into the darkness of the Daily Heil.

Chuckle. Did you read the article?

My headline relates to 55 complaints made about Daily Mail articles between April 2017 and April 2018. Of those articles, 35 were either ruled as breaching IPSO standards or were settled by a resolution statement before a ruling was given. The remaining 20 were passed as ‘clean’ by the regulators.​

That were 35 articles over god knows what time frame. By no standards is that "regularly called out".

Chuckle. Did you read the article?

My headline relates to 55 complaints made about Daily Mail articles between April 2017 and April 2018. Of those articles, 35 were either ruled as breaching IPSO standards or were settled by a resolution statement before a ruling was given. The remaining 20 were passed as ‘clean’ by the regulators.​

That were 35 articles over god knows what time frame. By no standards is that "regularly called out".
Its pretty much once a week.

Its pretty much once a week.

You know, that's all complaints about breached IPSO standards received in a year. We've been talking "institutional racism", didn't we? So, given the thousands of articles over that time, and the Mail's habitual sensationalim, I suspect there were many more exhibiting "implicit bias", and no more than a handful or two actually found in breach on that score.

That is not a big deal.
Can you name any company or college that discriminates against white people ?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
That link does not say anything really. It just says Harvard is getting sued for racial discrimination. Second the people who were claiming being discriminated against were not white but Asian students. The case is still on going

So I'll ask you again

Can you name any college that discriminates against white people ?
Its hard for them to come up with one because they are too busy crying about how unfair it is that Black people are allowed to attend college.

That link does not say anything really. It just says Harvard is getting sued for racial discrimination. Second the people who were claiming being discriminated against were not white but Asian students. The case is still on going

So I'll ask you again

Can you name any college that discriminates against white people ?
Its hard for them to come up with one because they are too busy crying about how unfair it is that Black people are allowed to attend college.

And then turn around in the next second and express outrage over the existence of HBCU'S

Forum List

Back