Insane reason girl was forced out of D.C. public school

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
This young girl is extraordinarily gifted. She missed 10 days of school for a very good reason. It was an opportunity too good to pass up. The parents asked the school in advance to excuse her for the time she would be off school and had a plan to keep her current with school work, but the school wouldn't go along. Since they wouldn't excuse the absence, the girl is considered a truant and will be homeschooled this year. This is sheer insanity. What idiots on that school board that they can't be proud of a student that excels in her school work as well as in music. She is gifted and they would hold her back because she took an opportunity to play with renowned musicians. She has received a lot of attention for her music ability from around the world, but the ignorant asses at the D.C. school simply see a girl who missed some days of school and she is being punished for it. If the parents could afford a private school, the girl would be a source of pride for the school. Perhaps the D.C. public schools don't know an exceptional student when they see one. It would take one to know one and looks like there aren't any intelligent people running the school.

The Insane Reason This Girl Was Forced Out of D.C. Public Schools

R
That is ridiculous!
Ridiculous, but expected.

Our pubic schools are not managed by public servants, but by self-serving individuals. Individuals who are focused NOT on the students, but on their own nepotistic cronyism wrought with favoritism for their own ranks.

Public Education exists to serve its employees, the "educators"... not the so-called "educable".

Unions, administrators, principals, school boards, regional officials... they are in this shit for themselves, not the students.

Public education in the United States is THE most corrupt maligned abhorrent clusterfuck ever imaginable.

Right before finishing college I worked with a kid
She should just start out on her career right now. School be damned. She can get her GED in a few years if she wants.

Thanks @Hossfly

To expand on that; After college I hired a kid who was 17 and had not only completed his GED but had ALSO completed several credits of college courses through a community college. AT 17!

The system is bullshit. We're all adults and we know that the only thing that matters is whether or not we can get shit done. I don't know why we teach our kids otherwise.

Further; a few years later I accidentally sliced my thump using an apple cutter and had to go to the emergency room. Remember that kid I mentioned earlier? He was my doctor at the hospital that night. At maybe age 21 or 22. I haven't heard from him since but I'm sure he's doing fantastic :thup:

She's an A student and has talent most people only dream of. Public school systems are about conformity, not exceptionalism.

She's an A student and has talent most people only dream of. Public school systems are about conformity, not exceptionalism.

And that also applies to public universities — especially the liberal arts ones.

There's a primary reason why a liberal arts degree is for all intents and purposes worthless anymore. And it's not China's fault.

I actually blame Miley Cyrus, myself. :badgrin:

She should just start out on her career right now. School be damned. She can get her GED in a few years if she wants.

skewl is ovrrtd, n e way.
I quit school in December of my senior year and joined the Army. Six months later I completed training and was assigned overseas. While at the overseas replacement station, a sergeant suggested I take a GED test. I took it and got my GED 2 days before my classmates got their diplomas. During the next 20 years I attended Army Education Centers and night courses at local colleges and got my BA. Many people go through this process until they get a Masters or Doctorate. It's all in the desire to suceed.

Washington DC school system certainly has forgotten its roots hasnt it? They are a laughing stock . She is obviously better off without them theres got to be a better school around.

And that also applies to public universities — especially the liberal arts ones.

There's a primary reason why a liberal arts degree is for all intents and purposes worthless anymore. And it's not China's fault.

I actually blame Miley Cyrus, myself. :badgrin:

True. Schools and college are becoming indoctrination centers. They focus more on teaching children to hate guns and capitalism than they do on actual skills that will help them later in life. The Common Core math is a huge joke.

I found it interesting that this was the quote from the parent:

“We decided to home-school her because of all the issues, because it was like a punch in the gut to have to face the fight again this year,” Galgiano told the Post. “We didn’t want to [homeschool]. We want to be part of the public school system. Avery has been in public school since kindergarten. She’s a great success story for the schools.”

Why do they want to be in the public school system? "Avery has been there since kindergarten," but really, Avery is not "there." Avery is travelling the world, playing concerts, etc., not in school, and that's the point. Anyone wanna guess how much fun it is for teachers to bring a kid up to speed in their classroom after they've been out for weeks? It is a fucking pain in the ass, and a strain on the public resource of the school. Teachers don't necessarily mind doing this for a student that's been sick or injured, but to accommodate a student's worldwide concert schedule? Fuck that. Her parents need to get a private tutor, i.e., homeschool little Avery, which is likely an expensive proposition and why they're bitching about the "punch in the gut."

“We decided to home-school her because of all the issues, because it was like a punch in the gut to have to face the fight again this year,” Galgiano told the Post. “We didn’t want to [homeschool]. We want to be part of the public school system. Avery has been in public school since kindergarten. She’s a great success story for the schools.”

Why do they want to be in the public school system? "Avery has been there since kindergarten," but really, Avery is not "there." Avery is travelling the world, playing concerts, etc., not in school, and that's the point. Anyone wanna guess how much fun it is for teachers to bring a kid up to speed in their classroom after they've been out for weeks? It is a fucking pain in the ass, and a strain on the public resource of the school. Teachers don't necessarily mind doing this for a student that's been sick or injured, but to accommodate a student's worldwide concert schedule? Fuck that. Her parents need to get a private tutor, i.e., homeschool little Avery, which is likely an expensive proposition and why they're bitching about the "punch in the gut."

They are talking about 10 days of unexcused absence. They excuse kids all the time when parents get the homework schedule ahead of time and keep the child current. The girl was smart enough that 2 weeks would be no big deal. Teachers probably have students that are way behind.

I'm gettin' wet, snot-stained hanky feelin' here.

Right. It's not like her parents pay taxes on top of homeschooling little Avery.

You know what? Screw the public education system. It's a sewer.

Oh crud. I agree with Samson.

They are talking about 10 days of unexcused absence. They excuse kids all the time when parents get the homework schedule ahead of time and keep the child current. The girl was smart enough that 2 weeks would be no big deal. Teachers probably have students that are way behind.

From the "commentary" in the OP it is not entirely clear if Avery was absent ONLY 10 days. It says:

In March, Avery traveled to Connecticut for a piano competition. She won the Grand Prix award for her performance of a Chopin Waltz and when she returned to school, a truancy officer was called. D.C. bureaucrats label any student, including Avery, with 10 “unexcused absences” as a truant.

So she was not travelling the world, missing ANY school BEFORE March? Kelsey Harris is the visual editor at The Daily Signal doesn't seem to believe it's necessary to detail ALL of Avery's unexcused absences, which, if totaled for the year, may very well far exceed the 10 days she spent in CT, and would certainly make Avery and her parents less sympathetic characters in her Bullshit Commentary.

Forum List

Back