Inflation.........Not as low as you think.

get_involved

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2009
"Forget the modest 3.1 percent rise in the Consumer Price Index, the government's widely used measure of inflation. Everyday prices are up some 8 percent over the past year, according to the American Institute for Economic Research."

inflationtp.jpg

Inflation: Not as low as you think - CBS News

Last edited:
"Forget the modest 3.1 percent rise in the Consumer Price Index, the government's widely used measure of inflation. Everyday prices are up some 8 percent over the past year, according to the American Institute for Economic Research."

inflationtp.jpg

Inflation: Not as low as you think - CBS News

So the only thing that is important when it comes to spending money, is the stuff you buy everyday. I guess I need to return the computer I bought because the price is not going up fast enough to keep up with inflation.

From the article
That means they don't look at the price of houses, furniture, appliances, cars, or computers.

When you pick and choose what you want to look at, its very easy to get the answer you are looking for.

There ought to be a separate CPI benchmark that ONLY INCLUDES that stuff that people have to buy to live.

Food, shelter, energy clothing, health care and so forth...you the stuff that if you don'[t buy it you eventually DIE?

There ought to be a separate CPI for non ESSANTIAL purchases like computers and refrigorators and whatnot.

I would not be at all surpised to discover that the NON -ESSANTIAL CPI (computers and so forth) is going down even what the ESSANTIAL CPI is rising dramatically.

In fact I KNOW that is true without even creating the model.

How do I know?

I know the same way aeverybody else who pays for the stuff they need to buy knows...I see the pricing rising on that class of purchases every damned week!~

Now I ask you all to consider this...

This idea of mine, the ESSANTIAL CPI v the NON-ESSANTIAL CPI...is that really such a radical and brilliant thing to propose?

NO, it is NOT.

If anything, this is an OBVIOUS thing to do if one truly wants to know what is going on.

Why aren't those different classes of consumer goods being reported?

I know the government keeps careful track of them.

Here's why...because the costs of different classes of consumer goods effect different socioeconomic classes VERY differently, that's why.

We ought to have at least 5 different CPI rates.

One for each typical purchasing experience of each quintile of the socio-ecomic classes in America.

Kudos to those of you reading this who can explain to us WHY I make such a proposal.

Last edited:

Always amusing to see alternate statistics being brought up when the "other party" is in office. Seems to me the only way to accurately analyze statistics is if they are uniform across the board, the same statistics used to judge the overall performance of all administrations.

In other words, I wonder what some of these statistics would have been when applied during other administrations. We never hear that part.

Last edited:

Always amusing to see alternate statistics being brought up when the "other party" is in office. Seems to me the only way to accurately analyze statistics is if they are uniform across the board, the same statistics used to judge the overall performance of all administrations.

In other words, I wonder what some of these statistics would have been when applied during other administrations. We never hear that part.

like the now lost 'misery index'?

If this keeps up, by the time obama is dragged from his office in handcuffs, we'll be like Zimbabwe.

like the now lost 'misery index'?

All of them.

There ought to be a separate CPI benchmark that ONLY INCLUDES that stuff that people have to buy to live.

Food, shelter, energy clothing, health care and so forth...you the stuff that if you don'[t buy it you eventually DIE?

There ought to be a separate CPI for non ESSANTIAL purchases like computers and refrigorators and whatnot.

I would not be at all surpised to discover that the NON -ESSANTIAL CPI (computers and so forth) is going down even what the ESSANTIAL CPI is rising dramatically.

In fact I KNOW that is true without even creating the model.

How do I know?

I know the same way aeverybody else who pays for the stuff they need to buy knows...I see the pricing rising on that class of purchases every damned week!~

Now I ask you all to consider this...

This idea of mine, the ESSANTIAL CPI v the NON-ESSANTIAL CPI...is that really such a radical and brilliant thing to propose?

NO, it is NOT.

If anything, this is an OBVIOUS thing to do if one truly wants to know what is going on.

Why aren't those different classes of consumer goods being reported?

I know the government keeps careful track of them.

Here's why...because the costs of different classes of consumer goods effect different socioeconomic classes VERY differently, that's why.

We ought to have at least 5 different CPI rates.

One for each typical purchasing experience of each quintile of the socio-ecomic classes in America.

Kudos to those of you reading this who can explain to us WHY I make such a proposal.

Well, page three of Math calculations to better utilize CPI data gives the proceedure of constructing your own special indexes.

Besides all the breakdowns for commodoties, BLS already publishes:

• All items less food
  • All items less shelter
  • All items less medical care
  • Commodities less food
  • Nondurables less food
  • Nondurables less food and apparel
  • Nondurables
  • Services less rent of shelter
  • Services less medical care services
  • Energy
  • All items less energy
  • All items less food and energy
  • Commodities less food and energy commodities
  • Energy commodities
  • Services less energy services

Published are the most requested/desired breakdowns, but enough details are given that it's not hard to do your own.

Forum List

Back