"Income Inequality": So What?

That's a bunch of crap.
Most people are poor or are low income because they choose to be. By that I mean, they do nothing to help themselves to get out of their situation. ANYONE can go to school, learn a trade, improve their skill set or come up with an idea that will help them to NOT be poor.

My, how lucky the United States of America is to have you here to speak for everyone and decide how easy the working poor really have it, and decide how simple it is for EVERYONE to be a millionaire! Woo-hoo! Go team you!

That's a bunch of crap.
Most people are poor or are low income because they choose to be. quote]

My, how lucky the United States of America is to have you here to speak for everyone and decide how easy the working poor really have it, and decide how simple it is for EVERYONE to be a millionaire! Woo-hoo! Go team you!

bullshit, he didn't say a word about being a millionaire what he said was. "By that I mean, they do nothing to help themselves to get out of their situation. ANYONE can go to school, learn a trade, improve their skill set or come up with an idea that will help them to NOT be poor."

That's a bunch of crap.
Most people are poor or are low income because they choose to be. By that I mean, they do nothing to help themselves to get out of their situation. ANYONE can go to school, learn a trade, improve their skill set or come up with an idea that will help them to NOT be poor.

It is not SIMPLE to be a millionaire. It is even harder to get there from the middle class, thanks to liberal policies of adding additional tax burdens to those that have worked hard and have a "good" income after busting it for decades. The point is: everyone has that same opportunity, because some choose not to participate, does not mean they should be rewarded by taking from those that took the risks. The "working poor" decide how to spend the time that they are not working. If it is not for self-improvement, their incomes will probably not increase that much in their life time. My brother says: show me a man that is forty years old getting minimum wage as a "permanent" job, and I will show you a man that is not worth, minimum wage!

That's a bunch of crap.

Nice straw man. Why don't you get it the hell off of our message board and go hang it in the cornfield where it belongs? :eusa_hand:

That's a bunch of crap.

Nice straw man. Why don't you get it the hell off of our message board and go hang it in the cornfield where it belongs? :eusa_hand:

My, how lucky the USMB is to have you here to speak for everyone and decide how people get to become members and speak. Free Speech isn't Free when wingnuts are around. Woo-hoo! Go team you!

eatqueerfetusjesus.png

Most people who are poor or low income sure as hell do not "choose" to be. How fucking stupid would a person have to be to "choose" poverty?

And exactly where did Team Thereisnospoon get his relevation about the poor?

That's a bunch of crap.

I am going to pretend I did not read that.

Most people who are poor or low income sure as hell do not "choose" to be. How fucking stupid would a person have to be to "choose" poverty?

If one does nothing to improve their skill set, educate themselves or create an idea, then YES, they are making a conscious choice to remain in their current situation..Poverty.

I can think of five reasons for the increase in economic inequality since the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980:

first, the tax system has become flatter;

second, the value of the minimum wage in constant dollars has become lower;

third labor unions have become weaker.

Liberals emphasize these three, while ignoring the next two.

Forth, computer technology increases the relationship between intelligence and income. It reduces the economic value of jobs that can be learned by those of average and below average intelligence, while creating opportunities for those with genius level IQs to earn millions, even billions of dollars. Without computer technology automation and outsourcing would be impossible.

Finally, the growth in the U.S. population benefits those who get their income from interest, rent, and dividends at the expense of those who get their income from pay checks. A growing population exerts inflationary pressures on prices, and deflationary pressures on wages. In the process it raises profits. Because those born in the United States have reduced our birth rates the main reason for the increase in the U.S. population is immigration.

One might expect that the growth of inequality would benefit the Democrats. However, most whites who are losing ground economically associate the Democratic Party with the defense of blacks and Hispanics. They associate blacks and Hispanics, and especially blacks, with crime, sexual irresponsibility, and low intelligence.

If one does nothing to improve their skill set, educate themselves or create an idea, then YES, they are making a conscious choice to remain in their current situation..Poverty.

The poor usually lack the ability and/or the opportunity to "improve their skill set, educate themselves, or create an idea" that sells.

IQ matters. One is either born with a high IQ or one is not. No one deserves a high IQ or a low one. What Edmund Burke said of aristocratic birth is true of being born with a high IQ. It is "the un bought grace of life."

Last edited:
That's a bunch of crap.

I doubt you have ever been poor. You may have worked your way up from a blue collar background, but I doubt you have been destitute. I even doubt that you have had to live for a long time on a minimum wage without help from your family.

Now it is true that many of the poor indulge in self destructive behavior. Nevertheless, when hard work achieves nothing but exhaustion, many people stop looking forward to the future, and live for such enjoyment that they can find in the present.

The poor usually lack the ability and/or the opportunity to "improve their skill set, educate themselves, or create an idea" that sells.

IQ matters. One is either born with a high IQ or one is not. No one deserves a high IQ or a low one. What Edmund Burke said of aristocratic birth is true of being born with a high IQ. It is "the un bought grace of life."

This is a "myth". There are people with "common sense" (not necessarily a high IQ) that build business with their hands: cleaning, rubbish removal, sewing, etc. If they make "wise" (not to be confused with intelligent) decisions, they can make a good life. If they sacrifice (work extra hours, go to school, volunteer for jobs that improve their skills), they can do better still. If they stay within a vocation where there is a demand, they can build their business, branch out, or sell it for a nice sum.

Now if you want to get into the "gifts" children are born with: teach marriage before children. Teach Christian values where you honor the Lord, before all else in your life. Your children will be born with gifts. Teach them about the Lord and encourage them to build a relationship with the Lord, and they, also will be "blessed". "Wisdom" is a "gift" from the Holy Spirit. Aristocrats "used to" be very religious, Edmund may not have been aware how people today would disregard the Lord when looking at "equality".

Not saying that there are not "poor" Christians, just pointing out that they seem to be better informed, and more blessed than the "intellectual elites" (that reject the gift of "wisdom").

I doubt you have ever been poor. You may have worked your way up from a blue collar background, but I doubt you have been destitute. I even doubt that you have had to live for a long time on a minimum wage without help from your family.

Now it is true that many of the poor indulge in self destructive behavior. Nevertheless, when hard work achieves nothing but exhaustion, many people stop looking forward to the future, and live for such enjoyment that they can find in the present.

Worked 59 hours a week for just over minimum wage after I was married. My spouse made slightly more than I did. We bought a car for $200, carpooled, and repaired the car, often. Our furniture was pieces of trees cut for firewood, but not split, yet. Our dishes and pans were bought at yard sales. We did not go out to eat very often (maybe once every two or three years). We did not booze a lot. We did attend college or professional classes when the opportunity presented itself. At one time, my take home income was $50 a week after paying for daycare. It was a learning job with the promise of pay increases in the future. "Destitute" is a state of mind. We were proud that we didn't have to ask others for help. We bought used tires, and used clothes, but we did it on our own. For decades, we lived paycheck to paycheck (and prayed a lot). Now finally when we are making more than double minimum wage, we are hearing that we "have to" give more to those without. We look at each other and wonder how people will ever build character without learning how to work their life up from a basic foundation.

"Now it is true that many of the poor indulge in self destructive behavior"..
You should have stopped right there.
The last sentence deals strictly along the lines of personal responsibility.
The producers should not be burdened with the duty of taking care of those who choose to be irresponsible.
"I doubt you have ever been poor"..Ahh yes, the oft used dig at those who liberals wish to use as their example of "those people".
"Those people"..They have never been at the bottom. "Those people" are the privileged ones"...
Ya know what? You don't know a fuckin thing about me. Now you do know that shit you spew will get a stern reaction of "you're full of assumptions and full of shit".

It isn't that they choose to be poor. They make other choices that keep them poor. My parents were very poor, most of my growing up years we were homeless. They made choices and decisions that made sure they were poor. They didn't have to decide to be poor. They just made decisions that would not make things better. I did. I finished school. Being a waitress wasn't good enough so I got a job cleaning a law office, scrubbing out toilets and floors. I didn't drink or do drugs, I went to school and sacrificed going out and having a good time to pay my way. I went from cleaning person, to library attendant, to receptionist, to secretary, to paralegal to attorney. Immediately after receiving my law degree I was presented with a fictional past that my rich daddy paid my way.

To say that someone could work hard to achieve is only half the story. No amount of hard work is going to lift someone out of poverty without a great deal of sacrifice. Otherwise they are working harder to afford more beer.

Sure they do. Every time they choose to stay up all night drinking rather then going to bed early so they getup and do a hard day's work, they are choosing to be poor. Every time they choose to do metha-amphetamines and rot their brains, they are choosing to be poor. Every time they choose to vegetate in front of the television rather than studying and getting good grades, they are choosing to be poor.

Sure they do. Every time they choose to stay up all night drinking rather then going to bed early so they getup and do a hard day's work, they are choosing to be poor. Every time they choose to do metha-amphetamines and rot their brains, they are choosing to be poor. Every time they choose to vegetate in front of the television rather than studying and getting good grades, they are choosing to be poor.

There is truth to what you say. Nevertheless, those who spend a lot of time looking down on welfare recipients are usually those who, whenever they look elsewhere, look up.

There is truth to what you say. Nevertheless, those who spend a lot of time looking down on welfare recipients are usually those who, whenever they look elsewhere, look up.

Describing is not "looking down upon"..
This is the kind of political correctness liberals use to silence others.
Look, if a member one of your protected classes gets criticized, you'll just have to deal with it.
I am sick to death of "oh no no no, you can't say that. Someone may be offended"..
The problem is people who are irresponsible, people who whine and complain are protected from what they need most. A dose of tough love and on occasion, a good swift kick in the ass.
BTW, those who are on public assistance and are knowingly gaming the system, oh yeah, I look down on them. They are criminals.

Bulcrap.

My friend graduated highschool and got a 2 year degree at the local community college. She couldn't get a job in her field because she has torrettes syndrom. She's been working as a maid for many, many years. She is poor and works her ass off. She works so hard that at 55 her body is breaking down. Soon she won't be able to do even that menial job, but you'll continue to call her lazy and stupid because she's the working poor. You really think she CHOSE this? She could have gone on disability due to her tourettes and sat on her ass and collected a paycheck from the government and subsidized housing and food stamps, etc...but she chose to work for a living instead and you have the gall to say she "chose" to be poor?

Do you have any idea how much a college education costs these days? Do you know what it guarentees? NOTHING!!! my niece graduated from the UW and works as a clerk at Bartells. They are sending her to pharmacology school and will be employing her after she finishes. Her bacholor degree got her NOTHING!!!!! A lot of college educated people aren't finding jobs today but I'm sure you think it's because they are lazy and CHOOSE to be poor. My son graduated from DeVry with a 4.0 and still hasn't found a job. You think he's lazy? That he CHOSE to be poor? He owes thousands on his education and he can't even get a mw job to help him pay off those loans.

I suggest you get out there and take a look at today's world because you sure as hell aren't living in it.

While I don't disagree per se, there are some more common choices that people make that keep them from getting ahead financially.

1) Choosing to have children outside of marriage, especially if they're women.

2) Choosing to drop out of high school, or to not get some sort of education after high school, or not further their education a few years into their career to allow them to move up the career ladder. Basically, just choosing to get by with less education and training.

3) Choosing to live outside their means, or to the limit of their means, rather than living more frugally.

Just some examples.

Forum List

Back