In your opinion: what is the funniest movie of all time?

I can't think of a lot of movies right off the top of my head, but one of my favorite comedies is Dumb & Dumber *smiles*

Idiocracy is so stupid it's funny.

I thought so the first time I saw it. The second time around I caught many lines I'd missed and thought it was funny-clever. The third time I saw it, I was starting to think it could all come true. Nuff said.

Blazing Saddles seems to be most popular, but I saw that so many times it became ho hum (we subscribed to the original PPV called "The Z Channel" in the 70's, and everyone we knew came to our house to watch movies (over and over again, for me).

At the time Blazing Saddles was making the rounds in theaters, Mel Brooks did an interview for some magazine (Playboy, I think) and he was asked what scenes he had to remove in order to keep it "R" rated instead of "X" rated. He told about the scene where Madeline Khan is in a room alone with the Sheriff, and she's trying to seduce him. One of her lines was when the lights went out, she said "Is it twoo what they say about you peepo? ... Yesssssssssss, it's TWOO, it's TWOOOO." To which the sheriff says "Pardon me, madam, but you're sucking on my arm."

The Jerk.

I was born a poor black child.

All I need is this thermos.

The new phone book is here! The new phone book is here! I'm a somebody.

I just giggled thinking about those scenes...good call.

"special purpose"...

You have to limit the scope of humor in movies to 20 or 30 year segments. The Marx brothers Duck Soup is probably the cleverest and funnyist movie of the first half of the 20th century. College humor only lasts for a couple of years. Watching Belushi spit mashed potatos or crushing a beer can on his head while wearing a dress may stir up feelings of nostalgia but it wasn't funny then unless you were drunk and it isn't funny now. Young Frankenstein was good but Mel Brooks couldn't resist beating you over the head with lines just to make sure you were paying attention. John Candy and "Canadian Bacon" was good. The truth is that you can't get a belly laugh out of a comedy made in the last 50 years unless you are under the influence of some substance.

You have to limit the scope of humor in movies to 20 or 30 year segments. The Marx brothers Duck Soup is probably the cleverest and funnyist movie of the first half of the 20th century. College humor only lasts for a couple of years. Watching Belushi spit mashed potatos or crushing a beer can on his head while wearing a dress may stir up feelings of nostalgia but it wasn't funny then unless you were drunk and it isn't funny now. Young Frankenstein was good but Mel Brooks couldn't resist beating you over the head with lines just to make sure you were paying attention. John Candy and "Canadian Bacon" was good. The truth is that you can't get a belly laugh out of a comedy made in the last 50 years unless you are under the influence of some substance.

And this is exactly why I said Blazing saddles. It hold up to this day (as long as you dont watch it on regular tv.) Its one of the few, imho, that stands the test of funny time.

True. I'd had way too much to drink when we went to see The Graduate, and the theater was so crowded we had to sit in the front row! That was funny in itself, cuz you're looking UP. I laughed until my head hurt all the way through the movie. It was funny the second time, but not nearly as hilarious as the first time.

MV5BNjYwNjA3OTY0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDMyNDUzMw@@._V1._SX640_SY949_.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RalDsFionzU&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Hot Rod the fall from mountain‬‏[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back