In Florida, Romney Takes Aim At Resurgent Gingrich [Calls Gingrich "Failed Leader"]

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
In Florida, Romney Takes Aim At Resurgent Gingrich [Calls Gingrich "Failed Leader"]
Washington Post ^ | January 22, 2012 | Philip Rucker and Amy Gardner,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...rich/2012/01/22/gIQA6kwfJQ_story.html?hpid=z1
In Florida, Romney Takes Aim At Resurgent Gingrich

By Philip Rucker and Amy Gardner January 22

ORMOND BEACH, Fla. — Mitt Romney unleashed his harshest personal attack of the campaign on Newt Gingrich here Sunday, saying “it was proven that he was a failed leader” as the former governor pivoted sharply to regain his footing in the wake of Gingrich’s stunning resurgence over the weekend.

As the dramatically altered presidential campaign moved to Florida, Republican leaders braced for a long and potentially bitter nominating contest. After upending the campaign in South Carolina with a commanding victory, Gingrich moved quickly to capitalize on it. He launched an aggressive fundraising blitz — aides said his “money bomb” raised $1 million in eight hours — and hired new staff to help him compete with Romney as the contest moves to a much more expensive front.

Romney, meanwhile, tried to recast the race as a choice between two kinds of leaders. “We’re not choosing a talk show host,” Romney told an evening rally of more than 500 in Ormond Beach. “We’re choosing the person who should be the leader of the free world.”

“Speaker Gingrich has also been a leader,” Romney said. Then he brought up the ethics investigation into the former House speaker. “At the end of four years, it was proven that he was a failed leader, and he had to resign in disgrace. I don’t know whether you knew that. He actually resigned after four years in disgrace.”

Romney also sought correct his handling of his taxes, saying he would release his most recent returns on Tuesday and acknowledging his previous reluctance to do so was a “mistake.”

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...

Gingrich is a failed leader. His fumbling idiocy helped get Clinton re-elected, and two years later he crashed the party on the rocks in the 1998 elections.

He was booted out on his ass by his fellow Republicans, and so he sulked off to go work for Freddie Mac and helped create the sub-prime crisis as payback.

This is the guy they are now scraping off the bottom of the barrel to take on Obama. :lol:

Last edited:
Gingrich is increasingly becoming a caricature of himself, it is a sure sign of an imminent rapid political decline.

Gingrich is a failed leader. His fumbling idiocy helped get Clinton re-elected, and two years later he crashed the party on the rocks in the 1998 elections.

He was booted out on his ass by his fellow Republicans, and so he sulked off to go work for Freddie Mac and helped create the sub-prime crisis as payback.

This is the guy they are now scraping off the bottom of the barrel to take on Obama. :lol:

I finally figured you out. Over all the boards. Cripes. You make it easy. So now Huff Po boy, you were saying about Newt?

I've got you where I need you child. And I'll push you up against that wall.

In Florida, Romney takes aim at resurgent Gingrich - The Washington Post

ORMOND BEACH, Fla. — Mitt Romney unleashed his harshest personal attack of the campaign on Newt Gingrich here Sunday, saying “it was proven that he was a failed leader” as the former governor pivoted sharply to regain his footing in the wake of Gingrich’s stunning resurgence over the weekend.

As the dramatically altered presidential campaign moved to Florida, Republican leaders braced for a long and potentially bitter nominating contest. After upending the campaign in South Carolina with a commanding victory, Gingrich moved quickly to capitalize on it. He launched an aggressive fundraising blitz — aides said his “money bomb” raised $1 million in eight hours — and hired new staff to help him compete with Romney as the contest moves to a much more expensive front.

Romney, meanwhile, tried to recast the race as a choice between two kinds of leaders. “We’re not choosing a talk show host,” Romney told an evening rally of more than 500 in Ormond Beach. “We’re choosing the person who should be the leader of the free world.”

“Speaker Gingrich has also been a leader,” Romney said. Then he brought up the ethics investigation into the former House speaker. “At the end of four years, it was proven that he was a failed leader, and he had to resign in disgrace. I don’t know whether you knew that. He actually resigned after four years in disgrace.”

Romney also sought correct his handling of his taxes, saying he would release his most recent returns on Tuesday and acknowledging his previous reluctance to do so was a “mistake.”

I know Ormond inside and out. I pretty well grew up there. I've surfed every wave coming in.

If Romney is going to play on ethics, it's for sure a dem move. Shows his line of thinking. Fuck him now hard. Romney is deadto me.

I finally figured you out. Over all the boards. Cripes. You make it easy. So now Huff Po boy, you were saying about Newt?

Give it your best shot. You've already swung and missed, idiot. I'm a lifelong Republican. If you really read my posts, you'd know that.

So, strike one. Try again.

Here, I've consolidated everything for you: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/204550-the-full-newt.html

Last edited:

Okey dokey.

I'd like to know how he got Clinton re elected versus the asswipes that put up Bob Dole you moron.

Wanna dance idiot?

Give it your best shot. You've already swung and missed, idiot. I'm a lifelong Republican. If you really read my posts, you'd know that.

So, strike one. Try again.

Here, I've consolidated everything for you: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/204550-the-full-newt.html

I know you. I love it.

Okey dokey.

I'd like to know how he got Clinton re elected versus the asswipes that put up Bob Dole you moron.

Wanna dance idiot?

Absolutely!

Two government shutdowns for which Gingrich was blamed by the public.

Highest negative ratings in the polls of all elected leaders.

Most of his Contract for America had failed to pass.

Clinton's approval rating fell significantly during the shutdown. According to media commentators, this indicated that the general public blamed the president for the government shutdown.[8] However, once it had ended his approval ratings rose to their highest since his election.

During the crisis, Gingrich made a complaint at a press breakfast that, during a flight to and from Yitzhak Rabin's funeral in Israel, Clinton had not taken the opportunity to talk about the budget and Gingrich had been directed to leave the plane via the rear door. The perception arose that the Republican stance on the budget was partly due to this "snub" by Clinton[9] and media coverage reflected this perception, including an editorial cartoon which showed Gingrich having a temper tantrum.[10] Opposing politicians used this opportunity to attack Gingrich's motives for the budget standoff.[11][12] Later, the polls suggested that the event damaged Gingrich politically[13] and he referred to his comments as the "single most avoidable mistake" as Speaker.[14]

The shutdown also influenced the 1996 presidential election. Bob Dole, the Senate Majority Leader, was running for president in 1996. Because of his need to campaign, Dole wanted to solve the budget crisis in January 1996 despite the willingness of other Republicans to continue the shutdown unless their demands were met. In particular, as Gingrich and Dole had been seen as potential rivals for the 1996 presidential nomination, they had a tense working relationship.[15][16] The shutdown has also been cited as having a role in Clinton's successful re-election in 1996.[16]

United States federal government shutdown of 1995 and 1996 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See, Gingrich's sabatoging a fellow Republican is not something new. He's an old hand at it.

STRIKE TWO!

Last edited:
Gingrich An Unpopular Figure During His Tenure As Speaker

November 11, 1998

Newt Gingrich's announcement last week that he would step down as Speaker of the House of Representatives marked the culmination of the congressional career of a politician who has never been a popular figure among Americans. From the moment he became a well-known face on the political landscape, Gingrich has generated negative public reactions. He has consistently received more unfavorable than favorable ratings in terms of his personal image, has also been given generally low approval ratings for the job he has done as Speaker, and almost always has fared poorly when compared to his sometime nemesis, Bill Clinton. Still, perhaps ironically, Gingrich was enjoying what were for him relatively high ratings from the public this year, significantly up from his low water marks in 1995 and 1996.

In a November 1994 poll, 29% of the public had a favorable opinion of Gingrich and 25% had a negative opinion. By December of that same year, however, his image had moved back into negative territory. It has remained more negative than positive ever since.

The public appeared to turn particularly strongly against the Speaker after his budget confrontation with Bill Clinton and the resulting U.S. Government shutdown in late 1995. (Publicity at the time, including a famous front page caricature in the New York Daily News, included the allegation that Gingrich had closed down the government because he was given a bad seat at the back of Air Force One when returning from the funeral of Yitzhak Rabin in Israel.) By January of 1996, 57% of Americans said that their image of Gingrich was unfavorable, compared with 37% who had a favorable image of him. This nearly two-to-one negative-to-positive image ratio persisted throughout most of 1996 and 1997.

From time to time, Gallup has also asked Americans to indicate their approval or disapproval of the job Gingrich was doing as Speaker of the House. Comparably to the public's rating of his image, Gingrich's job approval rating was quite low in 1995 and particularly in 1996 – generally in the 30% range.

In many ways, the November election this year was viewed as a showdown between Gingrich and Bill Clinton. If it was, Clinton clearly had the more positive public opinion base with which to operate. The president's image and job approval ratings have generally been more positive than those of Gingrich – even throughout the past 11 months when the Monica Lewinsky matter dominated the news and threatened Clinton's entire presidency. In January of this year, for example, after the Lewinsky crisis became headline news, Gingrich's job approval ratings of 46% and 48% were well below Clinton's own job approval ratings of 58% and 60%. In April, while Gingrich had a 45% approval rating, Clinton's was 63%. And, despite the Lewinsky revelations, Bill Clinton's favorable image ratings this year have consistently been more positive than those of Gingrich have been. In February, June, and October of this year, Gingrich had 37%, 32%, and 42% favorable image ratings. At those same times, Clinton's favorable image ratings were much higher, at 58%, 61% and 54%.

Last edited:
Gingrich's #s amongst women are below the lowest #s for any candidate running against an encumbent, ever.
Gingrich will be lucky to be on the ticket with Romney.
One hit wonder.
His day in the sun is going to last as long as the roots of his wife's hair staying blond.

Last edited:

Okey dokey.

Wanna dance idiot?

Absolutely!

Two government shutdowns for which Gingrich was blamed by the public.

Highest negative ratings in the polls of all elected leaders.

Most of his Contract for America had failed to pass.

Clinton's approval rating fell significantly during the shutdown. According to media commentators, this indicated that the general public blamed the president for the government shutdown.[8] However, once it had ended his approval ratings rose to their highest since his election.

During the crisis, Gingrich made a complaint at a press breakfast that, during a flight to and from Yitzhak Rabin's funeral in Israel, Clinton had not taken the opportunity to talk about the budget and Gingrich had been directed to leave the plane via the rear door. The perception arose that the Republican stance on the budget was partly due to this "snub" by Clinton[9] and media coverage reflected this perception, including an editorial cartoon which showed Gingrich having a temper tantrum.[10] Opposing politicians used this opportunity to attack Gingrich's motives for the budget standoff.[11][12] Later, the polls suggested that the event damaged Gingrich politically[13] and he referred to his comments as the "single most avoidable mistake" as Speaker.[14]

The shutdown also influenced the 1996 presidential election. Bob Dole, the Senate Majority Leader, was running for president in 1996. Because of his need to campaign, Dole wanted to solve the budget crisis in January 1996 despite the willingness of other Republicans to continue the shutdown unless their demands were met. In particular, as Gingrich and Dole had been seen as potential rivals for the 1996 presidential nomination, they had a tense working relationship.[15][16] The shutdown has also been cited as having a role in Clinton's successful re-election in 1996.[16]

United States federal government shutdown of 1995 and 1996 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See, Gingrich's sabatoging a fellow Republican is not something new. He's an old hand at it.

STRIKE TWO!

It would be interesting to get Dole's take on Gingrich.

Consider: Over the past three years the Republican-controlled Congress has approved discretionary spending that exceeded Bill Clinton's requests by more than $30 billion. The party that in 1994 would abolish the Department of Education now brags in response to Clinton's 2000 State of the Union Address that it is outspending the White House when it comes to education. My colleagues Stephen Moore and Stephen Slivinski found that the combined budgets of the 95 major programs that the Contract with America promised to eliminate have increased by 13%. Republican congressional candidates are frightened to be associated with George W. Bush's sensible proposal to allow Americans to invest a portion of their Social Security taxes in real assets.

What's going on? Clearly, a large part of the problem is leadership. Following the GOP victory in 1994, Newt Gingrich resembled no one more than Robert Redford in The Candidate. What do we do now? For all of his talent in generating the "revolution," Newt was never the conservative ideologue the media painted him to be.

On My Mind: GOP Pussycats | Edward H. Crane | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

It would be interesting to get Dole's take on Gingrich.

Bob Dole on Gingrich's temperament: 'Sometimes it's his way or the highway' - The Hill's Ballot Box

Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole said working with Newt Gingrich it's "sometimes his way or the highway."

Dole, who is backing Mitt Romney in the 2012 election, suggested Gingrich's personality has stayed much the same since his time in Washington: "Newt is Newt," he said.

These are statements from last December. Check this out:

Dole said he thought either Ron Paul or Rick Santorum, who are both polling near the top of the field in Iowa, could "pull off a win in Iowa." They've both been working hard in the state, he said.

Amazing call.

Last edited:

He's right...Noot Gin Grinch IS a failed leader. He was ran out on a rail by his fellow Republicans in the 90s for his failures.

After losing so badly in S. Carolina to Newt Gingrich--Mitt Romney is acting like a frized out 5 year old after eating too much candy--LOL. There is no way anyone can call Newt Gingrich a failed leader. He was responsible for giving us the 1st republican majority in the house in 40 years--working with Bill Clinton to balance the federal budget for 4 years--and leaving us with a surplus budget.

And I really don't care about the 287 ethics charges Nancy Pelosi launched at Newt. He was cleared of 286 of them immediately--paid a fine--and then was cleared of the fine charge 3 years later by the IRS.

Mitt Romney is scrambling for anything right now--and it's because of this.

sc-primary-map.png

S. Carolina primary--Gingrich in red--Romney in yellow.

Gingrich won the female vote--the independent vote--the evangelical vote and the conservative vote. He won it ALL--and after the kitchen sink including the 2nd Mrs. Gingrich's ABC interview--was thrown at him.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007

Lets see.

Promised to Balance the Budget, Reduce Welfare rolls and Create Jobs.

Result.

First Balanced Budgets in Years, 4 Years of Surplus, 10 Million people off welfare and to work, 11 Million Jobs Created.

Failed? Please.

He's right...Noot Gin Grinch IS a failed leader. He was ran out on a rail by his fellow Republicans in the 90s for his failures.

No he was ran out because he did not Bow to the Republican Establishment. Which is why they want to Destroy him now as well so their Puppet Romney can win.

Lets see.

Promised to Balance the Budget, Reduce Welfare rolls and Create Jobs.

Result.

First Balanced Budgets in Years, 4 Years of Surplus, 10 Million people off welfare and to work, 11 Million Jobs Created.

Failed? Please.

Newt Gingrich cut federal government spending--was so anti-tax--that he tried to rally the base against a tax increase that George H.W. Bush was proposing--so the Sr. Bush endorsed Mitt Romney--LOL

Newt Gingrich helped create the atmosphere with Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton so the private sector took off in growth and created millions of private sector jobs. And that sure beats Romney's 110K private sector jobs.

Forum List

Back