Imagine if I did the same thing

I'm not religious, my mother wanted me to be catholic but I was like my father and would not be led to such a prison of the mind... However I may feel about Christianity or Catholicism in particular, I have to say the highest level of intolerance I have ever seen has been the non-religious and atheists attacking religion. And not just any religion either its predominantly Christian religions..

Somehow, they seem to respond better and with far more patience to religions which subscribe to much more extreme social controls and rules than they do the religions which like it or not, helped give them the country they live in... Today we are expected to tolerate nearly every other religion but not Christianity.. Think I am wrong? Well then tell me why its wrong to say "Merry Christmas" to someone yet telling them a Muslim catch phrase of worship is never a problem?

I don't think religion is the way, but then thats my decision. A decision I came to on my own.. I think the best way to show tolerance is by being tolerant... Next time we are upset about some one showing there religion, we should try and give them the same consideration and tolerance we demand from them in our lack of belief...

I'm not religious, my mother wanted me to be catholic but I was like my father and would not be led to such a prison of the mind... However I may feel about Christianity or Catholicism in particular, I have to say the highest level of intolerance I have ever seen has been the non-religious and atheists attacking religion. And not just any religion either its predominantly Christian religions..

Somehow, they seem to respond better and with far more patience to religions which subscribe to much more extreme social controls and rules than they do the religions which like it or not, helped give them the country they live in... Today we are expected to tolerate nearly every other religion but not Christianity.. Think I am wrong? Well then tell me why its wrong to say "Merry Christmas" to someone yet telling them a Muslim catch phrase of worship is never a problem?

I don't think religion is the way, but then thats my decision. A decision I came to on my own.. I think the best way to show tolerance is by being tolerant... Next time we are upset about some one showing there religion, we should try and give them the same consideration and tolerance we demand from them in our lack of belief...

I think all the fuss about Christians just expresses how powerful they are perceived. We tolerate Christianity just fine. It's the dominant religion in our country. Some like it and some do not.

Strange, I've never once had anyone solicit me regarding religion anywhere I've been, or at my home. I find it difficult to believe that it's really occurring all that often to anyone else either.

Oh, it happens. My town has more churches than it has bars, I think.

I'm from a fairly large urban area that has a ton of churches as well, yet I've never had anyone bang on my door or approach me in a public place. I didn't say it doesn't happen to others, I'm saying that it can't be very frequent.

I think the prevalence of anti-Christian sentiment from those who choose atheism stems from a familial point of view. We're always more critical of our own, or what we've grown up in and then rejected than we would be of ones we aren't as familiar with or knowledgeable about.

Strange, I've never once had anyone solicit me regarding religion anywhere I've been, or at my home. I find it difficult to believe that it's really occurring all that often to anyone else either.

I'm from a fairly large urban area that has a ton of churches as well, yet I've never had anyone bang on my door or approach me in a public place. I didn't say it doesn't happen to others, I'm saying that it can't be very frequent.

Once you get an idea in your head it's quite challenging to dissuade you. Some of us have reported WEEKLY visits from JW. I would say weekly is fairly frequent.

Last edited:

Once you get an idea in your head it's quite challenging to dissuade you. Some of us have reported WEEKLY visits from JW. I would say weekly is fairly frequent.

Every week, 52 weeks a year, year after year? Really? I do find that very hard to believe.

And it's not an idea, it's a fact, I've never been visited by any religious person trying to push their views. Nor have I ever done so, nor do I personally know of anyone that has done so.

Dang, its hard to get through to you. Weekly is frequent! That's 52 times a year.

Dang, its hard to get through to you. Weekly is frequent! That's 52 times a year.

You get visited once a week? Honestly?

You get visited once a week? Honestly?

Are you calling me a liar? I saw JW going door to door on my block every week for ten years when I lived in Portland Oregon.

Last edited:
Newby, some things which you have not personally observed are nonetheless true.

For example, I am smoking a cigarette. Right now. Can't see me, can you?

And yet it is true.

Try a little harder to keep up, dear.

healthy.jpg

And yet it is true.

healthy.jpg

Perhaps Newby is just ignorant of the Jehovah Witnesses. Witnesses are instructed to devote as much time as possible to preaching activities within defined congregation "territories" and provide a monthly report to their congregation on their witnessing activity. This can be as much as 50-70 hours per month.

"Auxiliary pioneers - make a commitment to do 50 hours of field service for a given month. This can be done on a per month basis, or on an ongoing basis.
Regular pioneers - make a commitment to perform on average 70 hours of field service each month, totaling 840 hours for the year.
Special pioneers - assigned by a branch to take on special work, such as publishing in remote areas. This may require committing to at least 130 hours per month in the public ministry. Special pioneers are given a stipend for basic living expenses.
Missionaries - sent to foreign countries to preach. They use at least 130 hours per month in preaching. Before being assigned to a location, such persons may go through training at Gilead School. Missionaries are given a stipend for basic living expenses. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizational_structure_of_Jehovah's_Witnesses

Last edited:

And yet it is true.

healthy.jpg

Perhaps Newby is just ignorant of the Jehovah Witnesses. Witnesses are instructed to devote as much time as possible to preaching activities within defined congregation "territories" and provide a monthly report to their congregation on their witnessing activity. This can be as much as 50-70 hours per month.

"Auxiliary pioneers - make a commitment to do 50 hours of field service for a given month. This can be done on a per month basis, or on an ongoing basis.
Regular pioneers - make a commitment to perform on average 70 hours of field service each month, totaling 840 hours for the year.
Special pioneers - assigned by a branch to take on special work, such as publishing in remote areas. This may require committing to at least 130 hours per month in the public ministry. Special pioneers are given a stipend for basic living expenses.
Missionaries - sent to foreign countries to preach. They use at least 130 hours per month in preaching. Before being assigned to a location, such persons may go through training at Gilead School. Missionaries are given a stipend for basic living expenses. "
Organizational structure of Jehovah's Witnesses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never met a Jehovah's Witness, and I'd say they don't represent mainstream christianity. I know of no christian churches that go door to door as you are describing, but I'm sure you'll say they visit once a week as well. :lol:

And yet it is true.

healthy.jpg

Organizational structure of Jehovah's Witnesses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never met a Jehovah's Witness, and I'd say they don't represent mainstream christianity. I know of no christian churches that go door to door as you are describing, but I'm sure you'll say they visit once a week as well. :lol:

That's bull. JW and Mormon are the only Christian religions I know of that go door to door. I have been visited by both.

That's bull. JW and Mormon are the only Christian religions I know of that go door to door. I have been visited by both.

JW's and Christians are not the same thing.

The religious beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses are in many ways similar to those of mainstream Christians. For instance, Witnesses rely on the authority of the Bible, worship only one God, and trust in Jesus' death and resurrection for salvation.

Some other beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses differ from mainstream Christianity, most notably their rejection of the doctrine of the Trinity and the existence of Hell. Witnesses also have stronger apocalyptic expectations than most Christians - since the founding of the group, Witnesses have been expecting the imminent arrival of Armageddon and the end times.

The following article summarizes the doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses, noting where they agree and disagree with mainstream Christian doctrines.

Neither are Mormons and Christians.

Mormon Beliefs

“Mormon” is a nickname for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.They believe in, hope in, rejoice in, and testify of Jesus Christ as the Savior of the World. Mormons attest to the validity of the Bible and modern-day revelation and have a core belief in the importance of eternal families. They assert that Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith in 1820 with the express purpose of restoring His Church and gospel in its purity and fullness to the earth. Mormons represent the fourth largest religious denomination in the United States.

The religious beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses are in many ways similar to those of mainstream Christians. For instance, Witnesses rely on the authority of the Bible, worship only one God, and trust in Jesus' death and resurrection for salvation.

Some other beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses differ from mainstream Christianity, most notably their rejection of the doctrine of the Trinity and the existence of Hell. Witnesses also have stronger apocalyptic expectations than most Christians - since the founding of the group, Witnesses have been expecting the imminent arrival of Armageddon and the end times.

The following article summarizes the doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses, noting where they agree and disagree with mainstream Christian doctrines.

Mormon Beliefs

“Mormon” is a nickname for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.They believe in, hope in, rejoice in, and testify of Jesus Christ as the Savior of the World. Mormons attest to the validity of the Bible and modern-day revelation and have a core belief in the importance of eternal families. They assert that Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith in 1820 with the express purpose of restoring His Church and gospel in its purity and fullness to the earth. Mormons represent the fourth largest religious denomination in the United States.

Did you even read your own post? JW and LDS are types of Christians. Gotta love em.

Mormon Beliefs

Did you even read your own post? JW and LDS are types of Christians.

No they are not, they do not hold mainstream christian beliefs. But, if you need that crutch to make complaints about all christians in general shoving their beliefs down your throat, by all means, don't let that stop you.

Did you even read your own post? JW and LDS are types of Christians.

No they are not, they do not hold mainstream christian beliefs. But, if you need that crutch to make complaints about all christians in general shoving their beliefs down your throat, by all means, don't let that stop you.

Cut it out Newby. I didn't say LDS and JW are mainstream, but they are evangelizing Christians.

Here's a list Sky. You named two different churches that have visited your home. Momons, because of your proximity to them, and JW's, neither considered mainstream christians. Very small in comparison to all of Christianity. Christians are not about pushing their views down your throat.

Largest denominations in the world
Catholicism - 1.2 billion
Catholic Church - 1,147 million[1]
Roman Catholic Church (Latin Rite) - 1,129.9 million
Eastern Catholic Churches (Eastern Rite) - 17.1 million
Alexandrian
Ethiopian Catholic Church - 0.21 million
Coptic Catholic Church - 0.17 million
Antiochian (Antiochene or West Syrian)
Maronite Catholic Church - 3.1 million
Syro-Malankara Catholic Church - 0.5 million
Syriac Catholic Church - 0.17 million
Armenian
Armenian Catholic Church - 0.54 million
Chaldean (Eastern Syrian)
Syro-Malabar Catholic Church - 4.0 million
Chaldean Catholic Church - 0.65 million
Byzantine (Constantinopolitan)
Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church - 4.3 million
Melkite Greek Catholic Church - 1.6 million
Romanian Church United with Rome, Greek-Catholic - 0.8 million
Ruthenian Catholic Church - 0.65 million
Slovak Greek Catholic Church - 0.37 million
Hungarian Greek Catholic Church - 0.29 million
Italo-Greek Catholic Church - 0.07 million
Croatian Greek Catholic Church - 0.06 million
Belarusian Greek Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Bulgarian Greek Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Georgian Byzantine Catholic Church - 0.01 million[2]
Macedonian Greek Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Albanian Greek-Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Greek Byzantine Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Russian Catholic Church - 0.01 million
Breakaway Catholic Churches - 28 million
Apostolic Catholic Church - 5 million
Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association - 4 million[3]
Philippine Independent Church - 3 million
Brazilian Catholic Apostolic Church - 1 million
Old Catholic Church - 0.6 million
Mariavite Church - 0.03 million
Protestantism - 670 million
Historical Protestantism - 350 million
Baptist churches - 105 million[4]
Southern Baptist Convention - 16.3 million[5]
National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc. - 7.5 million[6]
National Baptist Convention of America, Inc. - 5 million[7]
Nigerian Baptist Convention - 3 million[8]
Progressive National Baptist Convention - 2.5 million[9]
American Baptist Churches USA - 1.4 million
Brazilian Baptist Convention - 1.4 million
Baptist Bible Fellowship International - 1.2 million[10]
Myanmar Baptist Convention - 1.1 million[11]
Baptist Community of the Congo River - 1 million[11]
National Baptist Convention, Brazil - 1 million
National Primitive Baptist Convention of the U.S.A. - 1 million[10]
National Missionary Baptist Convention of America - 1 million
Samavesam of Telugu Baptist Churches - 0.8 million[12]
Baptist Convention of Kenya - 0.7 million[11]
Union of Evangelical Christians-Baptists of Russia - 0.6 million
Methodism - 75 million
United Methodist Church - 12 million
African Methodist Episcopal Church - 3 million
Methodist Church Nigeria - 2 million[13]
African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church - 1.5 million
Church of the Nazarene - 1.8 million
Methodist Church of Southern Africa - 1.7 million[14]
Korean Methodist Church - 1.5 million[15]
United Methodist Church of Ivory Coast[16]
Christian Methodist Episcopal Church - 0.9 million
Methodist Church Ghana - 0.8 million[17]
Free Methodist Church - 0.7 million
Methodist Church in India - 0.6 million[18]
Lutheranism - 87 million[19]
Evangelical Church in Germany - 26.9 million[20]
Church of Sweden - 6.9 million
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America - 4.8 million
Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Yesus - 4.7 million
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania - 4.6 million[21]
Danish National Church - 4.5 million
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland - 4.3 million[22]
Batak Christian Protestant Church - 4 million[23]
Church of Norway - 3.9 million
Malagasy Lutheran Church - 3 million
Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod - 2 million
Lutheran Church of Christ in Nigeria - 1.7 million[24]
United Evangelical Lutheran Church in India - 1.5 million[25]
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Papua New Guinea - 0.9 million[26]
Andhra Evangelical Lutheran Church - 0.8 million[27]
Evangelical Church of the Lutheran Confession in Brazil - 0.7 million[28]
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Namibia - 0.6 million[29]
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Southern Africa - 0.6 million[30]
Reformed churches - 75 million
Presbyterianism - 40 million
Presbyterian Church of East Africa - 4 million[31]
Presbyterian Church of Africa - 3.4 million[32]
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) - 3.0 million
United Church of Canada - 2.5 million
Church of Christ in Congo–Presbyterian Community of Congo - 2.5 million[33]
Presbyterian Church of Korea - 2.4 million[34]
Presbyterian Church of Cameroon - 1.8 million[35]
Church of Scotland - 1.1 million[36]
Presbyterian Church of the Sudan - 1 million[37]
Presbyterian Church in Cameroon - 0.7 million[38]
Presbyterian Church of Brazil - 0,7 million [39]
Presbyterian Church of Ghana - 0.6 million[40]
Presbyterian Church of Nigeria - 0.5 million[41]
Uniting Presbyterian Church in Southern Africa - 0.5 million[42]
Continental Reformed churches - 30 million
Church of Jesus Christ in Madagascar - 3.5 million[43]
United Church of Zambia - 3.0 million[44]
Protestant Church in the Netherlands - 2.5 million[45]
Swiss Reformed Church - 2.4 million
Evangelical Church of Cameroon - 2 million[46]
Protestant Evangelical Church in Timor - 2 million[47]
Christian Evangelical Church in Minahasa - 0.7 million[48]
United Church in Papua New Guinea - 0.6 million[49]
United Church of Christ in the Philippines - 0.6 million[50]
Protestant Church in Western Indonesia - 0.6 million[51]
Evangelical Christian Church in Tanah Papua - 0.6 million[52]
Protestant Church in the Moluccas - 0.6 million[53]
Reformed Church in Hungary - 0.6 million[54]
Reformed Church in Romania - 0.6 million[55]
Uniting Reformed Church in Southern Africa - 0.5 million[56]
Congregationalism - 5 million
United Church of Christ - 1.2 million
Evangelical Congregational Church in Angola - 0.9 million[57]
United Congregational Church of Southern Africa - 0.5 million[58]
Anabaptism and Free churches - 5 million
Schwarzenau Brethren/German Baptist groups - 1.5 million[59]
Mennonites - 1.5 million
Plymouth Brethren - 1 million[60]
Moravians - 0.7 million[61]
Amish - 0.2 million
Hutterites - 0.2 million
Quakers - 0.4 million
Waldensians - 0.05 million
Modern Neo-Protestant movements - 588 million[62]
Pentecostalism - 130 million
Assemblies of God - 60 million
New Apostolic Church - 11 million
International Circle of Faith - 11 million[63]
The Pentecostal Mission - 10 million
Church of God (Cleveland) - 9 million
International Church of the Foursquare Gospel - 8 million
Church of God in Christ - 6 million
Apostolic Church - 5.5 million
Christian Congregation of Brazil - 2.5 million
Universal Church of the Kingdom of God - 2 million
Church of God of Prophecy - 1 million
God is Love Pentecostal Church - 0.8 million
Indian Pentecostal Church of God - NA
Non-denominational evangelicalism - 80 million
Calvary Chapel - 25 million
Born Again Movement - 20 million
Association of Vineyard Churches - 15 million
New Life Fellowship - 10 million[citation needed]
True Jesus Church - 2.5 million
Charismatic Episcopal Church - NA
African initiated churches - 40 million
Zion Christian Church - 15 million
Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim - 10 million
Kimbanguist Church - 5.5 million
Church of the Lord (Aladura) - 3.6 million[64]
Council of African Instituted Churches - 3 million[65]
Church of Christ Light of the Holy Spirit - 1.4 million[66]
African Church of the Holy Spirit - 0.7 million[67]
African Israel Niniveh Church[68]
Seventh-day Adventist Church - 17 million
Restoration Movement - 7 million
Churches of Christ - 5 million
Christian Churches and Churches of Christ - 1.1 million[10]
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) - 0.7 million
Eastern Orthodoxy - 210 million
Autocephalous churches
Russian Orthodox Church - 125 million
Romanian Orthodox Church - 18 million
Serbian Orthodox Church - 15 million
Church of Greece - 11 million
Bulgarian Orthodox Church - 10 million
Georgian Orthodox Church - 5 million
Greek Orthodox Church of Constantinople - 3.5 million
Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch - 2.5 million
Greek Orthodox Church of Alexandria - 1.5 million
Orthodox Church in America - 1.2 million
Polish Orthodox Church - 1 million
Albanian Orthodox Church - 0.8 million
Cypriot Orthodox Church - 0.7 million
Greek Orthodox Church of Jerusalem - 0.14 million
Czech and Slovak Orthodox Church - 0.07 million
Autonomous churches
Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) - 7.2 million[69]
Moldovan Orthodox Church - 3.2 million
Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia - 1.25 million
Metropolitan Church of Bessarabia - 0.62 million
Orthodox Ohrid Archbishopric - 0.34 million
Estonian Orthodox Church - 0.3 million
Patriarchal Exarchate in Western Europe - 0.15 million
Finnish Orthodox Church - 0.08 million
Chinese Orthodox Church - 0.03 million
Japanese Orthodox Church - 0.02 million
Latvian Orthodox Church - 0.02 million
Non-universally recognized churches
Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Kyiv Patriarchate) - 5.5 million[69]
Belarusian Autocephalous Orthodox Church - 2.4 million
Macedonian Orthodox Church - 2 million
Orthodox Church of Greece (Holy Synod in Resistance) - 0.75 million
Old Calendar Romanian Orthodox Church - 0.50 million
Old Calendar Bulgarian Orthodox Church - 0.45 million
Croatian Orthodox Church - 0.36 million
Montenegrin Orthodox Church - 0.05 million
Orthodox Church in Italy - 0.12 million
Other separated Orthodox groups
Old Believers - 1.8 million
Greek Old Calendarists - 0.86 million
Russian True Orthodox Church - 0.85 million
Oriental Orthodoxy - 75 million
Autocephalous churches in communion
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church - 45 million
Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria - 15.5 million
Syriac Orthodox Church - 10 million
Armenian Orthodox Church - 8 million
Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church - 2.5 million
Indian (Malankara) Orthodox Church - 2 million[70]
Armenian Orthodox Church of Cilicia - 1.5 million
Autonomous churches in communion
Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church - 1.2 million[71]
Armenian Patriarchate of Constantinople - 0.42 million
Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem - 0.34 million
French Coptic Orthodox Church - 0.01 million
British Orthodox Church - 0.01 million
Churches not in communion
Malabar Independent Syrian Church - 0.06 million
Anglicanism - 82 million
Anglican Communion - 80 million[72]
Church of Nigeria - 18 million
Church of England - 13.4 million
Church of Uganda - 8.8 million
Church of South India - 3.8 million
Anglican Church of Australia - 3.7 million
Episcopal Church in the Philippines - 3.0 million
Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia - 2.5 million
Anglican Church of Tanzania - 2.5 million
Anglican Church of Southern Africa - 2.4 million
Episcopal Church of the United States - 2.2 million
Anglican Church of Canada - 2.0 million
Anglican Church of Kenya - 1.5 million
Church of North India - 1.3 million
Church of the Province of Rwanda - 1 million
Church of Pakistan - 0.8 million
Anglican Church of Burundi - 0.8 million[73]
Church of the Province of Central Africa - 0.6 million
Church of Christ in Congo–Anglican Community of Congo - 0.5 million[74]
Scottish Episcopal Church - 0.4 million
Church of Ireland - 0.4 million
Continuing Anglican movement - 1.5 million
Traditional Anglican Communion - 0.5 million
Anglican Church in North America - 0.1 million
Nontrinitarianism - 27 million
Latter Day Saint movement (Mormonism) - 14 million
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - 13.5 million[75]
Community of Christ - 0.25 million[76]
Jehovah's Witnesses - 7.1 million
Iglesia ni Cristo - 6 million[77]
Oneness Pentecostalism - 6 million
United Pentecostal Church International - 4 million
Pentecostal Assemblies of the World - 1.5 million
Church of Christ, Scientist - 0.4 million
Friends of Man - 0.07 million
Christadelphians - 0.05 million
Nestorianism - 1 million
Assyrian Church of the East - 0.5 million
Ancient Church of the East - 0.3 million

LOL. Was that a big enough sample, Newby?

It's not just the door to door guys and gals Evangelical Christians are the largest voting block in America. LDS and the RCC poured money into my state for Prop 8. It certainly felt like they were shoving their beliefs down my throat then.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back