Atheism is not a religion!

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by FA_Q2, Jun 30, 2010.

1. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    I am getting tired of this argument. Atheism is NOT a religion but a lack of religion. There are people who take this to the extreme but that does not make atheism a religion. That extremism tends to come fourth because we live in a largely religious world and many of those religious people tend to look down at or attack atheists in general. Atheism is and always will be a LACK of religious conviction of any sort. I do not believe in god because there is a lack of evidence for god. That is not a religious belief but a total lack of a belief at all. Should it be possible to show evidence for god one day. I would gladly begin a life of faith. Until that comes I will not believe in any religion.

ATHEISM IS NOT A RELIGION!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    Zero is still a number. Atheism is a decided belief that there is no supreme being. While there are no rituals associated with this for most atheists, it is still a belief structure and therfore a religous/philosophical position.

You may be thinking of agnosticism, which is basically ignoring the question of there being a god or not. That is closer to no religion than atheism.

Also with atheism you find zelots who are up there with the most feverent evangelical christians when it comes to professing thier beliefs.

For me atheism is active disbelief, where agnosticism is kinda "meh" disbelief.

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I just don't understand the vitriole. Why is there so much anger over semantics? A belief, a non-belief, a philosophy, a religion, a non/religion? Who cares?

And yes, marty, there are zealots and they can be crazzzzzzzzy mean. I don't know any Christian or Jewish religious zealots, but I would rather have them approach me in an airport than some of the angry atheist weirdos on this forum.

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    Religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Deities OR an Ultimate Truth.

Atheism sure sounds like a religion to me.

5. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    No, it is not a religious belief. You are making the common mistake that many here make - associating atheism with a POSITIVE belief that there is no god rather than a lack of belief in any god. There are those that have a positive belief in god and that is NOT atheism but some other concept that has taken it too far. Atheism is a complete lack of any belief in a deity. There is a big difference. Agnostics on the other hand believe there is a deity but that deity is unknowable. That is the 'higher power' crowd.
    But you are not an atheist and therefore 'for me' does not count. I AM an atheist and I can inform you that I do not have 'active' disbelief in anything.

6. rikules

rikules fighting thugs and cons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +305
    atheism is a BELIEF

SOME beliefs are religions
    MOST beliefs are NOT religions

atheism is a BELIEF that is NOT a religion

anyone who thinks that atheism is a religion is a complete fkn idiot

7. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Just getting tired of every thread that involves atheism, evolution and general religious threads demanding that to be an atheist I must have faith in it when that is a mischaracterization of what many atheists believe.

To each their own, I would much rather run into all of the 'atheist' zealots here than any one of the Christian ones. But then again, I am not a Christian.

8. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,114
    Religion | Define Religion at Dictionary.com
    re·li·gion
       /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Show Spelled[ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
    –noun
    a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
    the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
    the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
    the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
    something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

religions, Archaic . religious rites.
    Archaic . strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

People who claim to be atheists that are constantly whining that they are offended by the word god on our money or some other such nonsense do indeed raise atheism to the status of a religious belief.

See definition number 6 above.

Tell me how can one be offended by "In God We Trust" if one has no belief in god?

You might as well be offended by leprechauns.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  9. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Atheism is not a religious belief. By definition, it is disbelief, a world view that there is no god.

10. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    I think you can say that with some accuracy, but to some … their atheism takes on all the features of a religion. I am an atheist, and I leave it pretty much alone in argument. I see no benefit in arguing it, and I would be doing those who benefit from their religious belief a disservice if I could dissuade them from it.

Why, for instance, would an atheist become a member of an organization for atheists? (IE “The Godless Americans”)

To me these are folks who haven’t sufficiently accepted their own lack of belief to live with it comfortably.

But that is just my opinion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010