Imagine if I did the same thing

Strange, I've never once had anyone solicit me regarding religion anywhere I've been, or at my home. I find it difficult to believe that it's really occurring all that often to anyone else either.

Do you live under a rock? This happens quite a bit. I think its disingenuous to doubt that evangelists visit people at home. When I lived in the city I had JW come every week. Mormons less often.

I welcomed them and told them that I appreciated their altruism but that this was a Buddhist house. After awhile they passed by my door. But I continued to see them all dressed up making the neighborhood rounds week after week. They would have a group and some would be on one side of the street and some on the other.

When I moved to the country the JW showed up just as often. The same strategy worked for me. I was pleasant and courteous and thanked them for their altruism. I told them I was a Buddhist and that was that. Considering I moved to the rural area because of the Buddhist center there it made sense to them.

Last edited:
Strange, I've never once had anyone solicit me regarding religion anywhere I've been, or at my home. I find it difficult to believe that it's really occurring all that often to anyone else either.

I was accosted by religious freaks in the parking lot of a Goodwill second hand store in North seattle twice in one day last week. The second time the lady tried to get me to stop smoking for god!:eek:

Seriously...stop smoking for god!:lol::lol::lol:

I was accosted by religious freaks in the parking lot of a Goodwill second hand store in North seattle twice in one day last week. The second time the lady tried to get me to stop smoking for god!:eek:

Gee HUGGY. I wouldn't accost you in a parking lot, but if you asked me whether you should quit smoking I would tell you the reasons why Buddhists don't smoke.

It's harmful to self and others. It's a compulsion and it doesn't free truly the mind from suffering. etc etc

Last edited:

:) Where do you live?

To get rid of the Jehovas Witnesses around here you have to be rude and crude.

Never show one microgram of weakness to them.

Answering the door in your BVD's seems to work.

Never seen a loonie street preacher just preaching to everyone/noone on a sidewalk or corner?

Also you might say I had 16 years fo intense religious soliticion buy family, and church.
I still get pressured by family and friends about religion.

Talk about a high impact sales pitch.
God and heaven for free or burn in a lake of fire forever.
All we want is your soul? Which is not much to give up for some.

Last edited:

Gee HUGGY. I wouldn't accost you in a parking lot, but if you asked me whether you should quit smoking I would tell you the reasons why Buddhists don't smoke.

It's harmful to self and others. It's a compulsion and it doesn't free truly the mind from suffering. etc etc

I was sitting a hundred feet from the store in my own car. I was hurting no one including myself...no history of cancer in my family. Some people just can't stay the fuck out of oyther peoples business...I say SHE was the compulsive one and should find some other way to free her own damn mind!

I was sitting a hundred feet from the store in my own car. I was hurting no one including myself...no history of cancer in my family. Some people just can't stay the fuck out of oyther peoples business...I say SHE was the compulsive one and should find some other way to free her own damn mind!

I agree with you. The woman you encountered was aggressive and rude and acting out of a compulsion. She could benefit from practicing meditation, LOL.

I was teasing you and giving you the Buddhist party line about smoking.

It must be a pain in the ass to deal with other people's opinion of your personal perogative. Sorry.

Most if not all of the hospitals in Lexington, KY have banned smoking anywhere on their PROPERTY. Even in the parking lot in your own car.

just another tidbit for those not familiar with the bible belt.

Around here if you let people you know you are an atheist.
you will suffer.
Various degrees of boycott and blackballing go on. Ohh not such that anyone realizes they are doing that, it is just such an ingrained thing and an automatic sin to associate in business with an atheist.

you will suffer.
Various degrees of boycott and blackballing go on. Ohh not such that anyone realizes they are doing that, it is just such an ingrained thing and an automatic sin to associate in business with an atheist.

I was just thinking about why some atheists seem evangelist about it and it occurred to me it could be a reaction to constant pressure from Christians to 'save' them.

I had one unpleasant experience with a co-worker who got on my case to convert from Buddhism to Christianity.

It was useful because I saw irritation and lack of patience.

you will suffer.

I was just thinking about why some atheists seem evangelist about it and it occurred to me it could be a reaction to constant pressure from Christians to 'save' them.

hmm, you might have something there.
The harder I am pushed the deeper my heels dig in.
Just a bit contrary to ordinary.

Do you live under a rock? This happens quite a bit. I think its disingenuous to doubt that evangelists visit people at home. When I lived in the city I had JW come every week. Mormons less often.

I welcomed them and told them that I appreciated their altruism but that this was a Buddhist house. After awhile they passed by my door. But I continued to see them all dressed up making the neighborhood rounds week after week. They would have a group and some would be on one side of the street and some on the other.

When I moved to the country the JW showed up just as often. The same strategy worked for me. I was pleasant and courteous and thanked them for their altruism. I told them I was a Buddhist and that was that. Considering I moved to the rural area because of the Buddhist center there it made sense to them.

JWs are easy to get rid of. Just tell them to hold on while you get your bible. That usually does it.

First off, I'm an atheist. After coming home after work and finding yet another church flyer stuck on my door, it got me reminiscing of all my encounters with churchies over the years.

It got me wondering, "What would happen if I did the same stuff?". Imagine you come home, and there's a paper on your door saying "There is no god!". Would you find that offensive? Or your relaxing at home, and I come knocking on your door preaching my atheist beliefs. Something tells me I would wake up in the hospital if I tried that one. Or your out shopping and I corner you in the store or parking lot telling you how your wasting your time worshiping a god that doesn't exsist.

The point of this rant is this, EVERYONE has the right to believe whatever they want, but the amount of arrogance it takes to shove your beliefs down other people's throats is both offensive and mind boggling. And let's face it, nobody really knows who's right and who's wrong.

Thanks for reading. And if your one of the small percentage of religous people who do the types of things mentioned above, please stop.

While I agree partially with your statement as you did not lump all Christians together, some Atheist's and non believers do similar things such as Bill Maher continually belittling Christians, Janeane Garofalo stating the bible is fiction and etc. There is a certain amount of arrogance in insulting Christians because it infers that their beliefs are unintelligent and illogical. Not to mention the fact that these "celebrities" use their fame as a soap box and have much larger audiences to spew hatred then a Christian going through a parking lot handing out flyers.
As you stated, nobody really knows who is right and wrong, this also applies to non believers.
I will add that handing out a flyer or saying "bless you" when someone sneezes is far less demeaning than some comments made by non believers.
Oh Bullshit.
You have the option of not turning on the Idiot Box or changing the channels.

Thankfully I left the land of those morons.

Such anger. What a miserable way to go through life.

Oh, it happens. My town has more churches than it has bars, I think.

I checked once and in my county you cannot drive over 5 miles on any road without passing at least one church.

First off, I'm an atheist. After coming home after work and finding yet another church flyer stuck on my door, it got me reminiscing of all my encounters with churchies over the years.

It got me wondering, "What would happen if I did the same stuff?". Imagine you come home, and there's a paper on your door saying "There is no god!". Would you find that offensive? Or your relaxing at home, and I come knocking on your door preaching my atheist beliefs. Something tells me I would wake up in the hospital if I tried that one. Or your out shopping and I corner you in the store or parking lot telling you how your wasting your time worshiping a god that doesn't exsist.

The point of this rant is this, EVERYONE has the right to believe whatever they want, but the amount of arrogance it takes to shove your beliefs down other people's throats is both offensive and mind boggling. And let's face it, nobody really knows who's right and who's wrong.

Thanks for reading. And if your one of the small percentage of religous people who do the types of things mentioned above, please stop.

You stated your case very well and in a straight forward way. If it is your wish to be left alone, your desires should be honored. Just as I believe in God, you have every right in the world to not believe. Sometimes folks forget this on both sides of the issue.

Please, be my guest. The only thing I find offensive about papers on my door is the fact that people keep putting them there. I am thinking about breeding velociraptors to keep them away.

Please, be my guest. The only thing I find offensive about papers on my door is the fact that people keep putting them there. I am thinking about breeding velociraptors to keep them away.

RF containment fences for your dogs.

Most awesomest invention evah.

My experience with having religious people visit me are mostly with JWs, but the only reason the Mormons visited me was because I was on the Mormon rolls but not attending. It took a long time to get my name off the rolls, but I was always welcoming when they visited me because I was willing to discuss with them doctrines. They are interested, and kind. Ovet the years they have changed a lot.

One of the things about atheists that I have experienced is that they are very sensitive about anything Christian. Other religions not so much. The sad thing is that it takes a lot of Christians to lead to a positive change, but only one atheist has to be offended and boom!

While I was a Parole Officer I had one atheist who caused major problems in the office, and I was the only one who would stand for what I believed. She stopped all Christian Christmas cards and all Christian Christmas decorations. I made it a point that if we could not have Christian cards and decorations, none would be allowed. I won, but actually that atheist won. No one was willing to take a stand for Christmas cards or decorations. One atheist changed the personality of our office.

One Christian would never be able to do that.

I don't believe any of these stories, other than the "stop smoking" lady were from mainstream Christian denominations, but who gets the bad name? You got it, mainstream Christians.

didn't you just do it via the internet....

Forum List

Back