I'm OK in paying 4/10ths of 1 penny in order to secure aluminum manufacturing in the USA!

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
All these people again getting excited about what... a way to increase taxes while at the same time preserving the aluminum industry in the USA... all by my paying $0.004 per aluminum can.

In 2001, Americans bought 351 aluminum beverage cans per person, twice as many as in 1980.
Facts

a 10% tax on aluminum would cost $347.7 million tax on beverages served in cans
http://fortune.com/2018/03/02/beer-prices-aluminum-tarrif

Divide 80.7 billion cans into $347.7 million is $0.004 per can... I can afford that to save the aluminum industry!

See what my thread shows is HOW extremely OVERBLOWN a piece of news gets promoted by the MSM and it's inability to do a little common sense in reporting.
These biased MSM seem also to forget a MAJOR point of the tariff... IT ADDS revenue to the USA.... taxing those big bad corporations who MAY raise their rates but
seem to forget that that that one ton of aluminum they pay a 10% tariff could be purchased in the USA???? Hiring more people and above all securing the very strategic value
of manufacturing aluminum and steel in the USA.

Now as far as the steel 25% tariff...

Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross defended President Donald Trump’s plan to raise tariffs on steel and aluminum with a can of Campbell soup, a Budweiser tallboy,
and some basic arithmetic.

In a can of Campbell’s Soup, there are about 2.6 pennies’ worth of steel,” Ross argued, holding up a can of soup on CNBC.
So if that goes up by 25 percent, that’s about six-tenths of 1 cent on the price on a can of Campbell’s soup. I just bought this can today at a 7-Eleven ... and it’s priced at a $1.99. Who in the world is going to be too bothered?”

Ross is responding to widespread criticism that Trump’s announcement to place a 25 percent import tariff on steel and a 10 percent tariff on aluminum would likely lead to a trade war, raise prices for American businesses that buy steel and aluminum, and in turn increase prices for consumers.

Republican governors, senators, and representatives have all come out against the plan — even Trump’s chief economic adviser Gary Cohn is against it. Among its supporters are trade hawks like White House adviser Peter Navarro and some Rust Belt Democrats, including Sens. Sherrod Brown (OH) and Bob Casey (PA).

But Ross argued that any consumer price increases would be negligible and have “a trivial effect” on consumers.

He went on to give another example:

“There’s about one ton of steel in a car,” Ross said on CNN. “The price of a ton of steel is $700 or so, so 25 percent on that would be one half of 1 percent price increase on the typical $35,000 car. So it’s no big deal.”

In his estimate, that would amount to a roughly $175 price increase on a car.

Trump’s commerce secretary: tariffs raising car prices $175 is "trivial"

AND REMEMBER folks... THAT's a TARIFF on imported steel.

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 1.54.27 PM.png

Steelmakers, too, said they will increase production. U.S. steel imports have increased for years as a global glut of steel drove down prices, causing domestic producers to close mills. Imports accounted for more than a quarter of the U.S. steel supply last year.
he benchmark price for hot-rolled, coiled steel is above $770 a ton, up 32% from a recent low point in October. Spot-market prices for that type of steel, widely used in manufacturing, are above $800 a ton. Some steel distributors say mills are only partially filling their orders because of tight supplies.

New tariffs to raise steel, aluminum prices

All these people again getting excited about what... a way to increase taxes while at the same time preserving the aluminum industry in the USA... all by my paying $0.004 per aluminum can.

In 2001, Americans bought 351 aluminum beverage cans per person, twice as many as in 1980.
Facts

Divide 80.7 billion cans into $347.7 million is $0.004 per can... I can afford that to save the aluminum industry!

What will the cost increase on a combine be for a farmer?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Facts

That's all well and good for aluminum cans. But take the stuff you buy that's got aluminum as part of the cost.

The average car has 300 to 400 lbs of aluminum in it. That's another $60 to the cost.

Facts

What will the cost increase on a combine be for a farmer?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Geez the internet is great!

Sheet steel, the main raw material used in manufacturing combines, is delivered to the manufacturing plant in massive rolls, 48 inches (121.92 centimeters) wide and weighing up to 12,000 pounds (5,448 kilograms).

Read more: How combine is made - material, production process, making, used, parts, components, machine
So that is 6 tons of steel at $700 per ton or $4,200.. at 25% is $1,050... AGAIN if using foreign steel.

So add that to the price of a new combine..
Expect to pay somewhere between $330,000 and $500,000 if you're buying new and paying list price.

The list price for new Case IH combines range from $330,000 to $487,000, and that's for base models with no add-ons, said Greg Stierwalt, a sales representative for Birkey's in Urbana.
How much is that combine in the window?
$487,000 divided by $1,050 is what??? hmmm 0.002% wow... again that extra $1,050 really adds to the cost doesn't it???

Facts

Since you and of course this ignorant president doesn’t know a damn thing about history...
you’re missing one of the causes of the Great Depression which was the same type of tariff policy dipshit is going to put on.
Most of scumbag’s advisors are totally against it. Of course he’s never listen to experienced voices, he thinks his lack of experience and ignorance knows better.

This moron president continues to ruin this country every single day.

Facts

That's all well and good for aluminum cans. But take the stuff you buy that's got aluminum as part of the cost.

The average car has 300 to 400 lbs of aluminum in it. That's another $60 to the cost.
The average cost of a new car...
he estimated average transaction price of a new car or truck sold in the U.S. in April was $33,560 — 2.6% higher than in the month a year ago, according to data from auto researcher Kelley Blue Book.May 4, 2015

Wow... so that means..0.0017% and again that's if the aluminum comes from a foreign source.

You were saying???

At the very very most it would raise the price of a six pack 0.18.
But with the tax cuts and more hires and increased income and beverage purchases and made in America its a win win
Libs do not like win win, they prefer feelings driven melancholy

Facts

I am sorry to disappoint you, but all of this will be reduced from your tax burden, even better the tax burden of your children. You see, it's a tax...

Facts

So say sixty bucks extra for a 50k vehicle?
Hell,that wont even cover the bar tab at lunch.

Now as far as the steel 25% tariff...

Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross defended President Donald Trump’s plan to raise tariffs on steel and aluminum with a can of Campbell soup, a Budweiser tallboy,
and some basic arithmetic.

In a can of Campbell’s Soup, there are about 2.6 pennies’ worth of steel,” Ross argued, holding up a can of soup on CNBC.
So if that goes up by 25 percent, that’s about six-tenths of 1 cent on the price on a can of Campbell’s soup. I just bought this can today at a 7-Eleven ... and it’s priced at a $1.99. Who in the world is going to be too bothered?”

Ross is responding to widespread criticism that Trump’s announcement to place a 25 percent import tariff on steel and a 10 percent tariff on aluminum would likely lead to a trade war, raise prices for American businesses that buy steel and aluminum, and in turn increase prices for consumers.

Republican governors, senators, and representatives have all come out against the plan — even Trump’s chief economic adviser Gary Cohn is against it. Among its supporters are trade hawks like White House adviser Peter Navarro and some Rust Belt Democrats, including Sens. Sherrod Brown (OH) and Bob Casey (PA).

But Ross argued that any consumer price increases would be negligible and have “a trivial effect” on consumers.

He went on to give another example:

“There’s about one ton of steel in a car,” Ross said on CNN. “The price of a ton of steel is $700 or so, so 25 percent on that would be one half of 1 percent price increase on the typical $35,000 car. So it’s no big deal.”

In his estimate, that would amount to a roughly $175 price increase on a car.

Trump’s commerce secretary: tariffs raising car prices $175 is "trivial"

AND REMEMBER folks... THAT's a TARIFF on imported steel.

View attachment 180784

Steelmakers, too, said they will increase production. U.S. steel imports have increased for years as a global glut of steel drove down prices, causing domestic producers to close mills. Imports accounted for more than a quarter of the U.S. steel supply last year.
he benchmark price for hot-rolled, coiled steel is above $770 a ton, up 32% from a recent low point in October. Spot-market prices for that type of steel, widely used in manufacturing, are above $800 a ton. Some steel distributors say mills are only partially filling their orders because of tight supplies.

New tariffs to raise steel, aluminum prices
Are you prepared for the loss in jobs as a result of tariffs imposed by other countries in retaliation? Are you prepared to eat the accumulative value of ALL goods using both metals driving up inflation? Oh and btw if it's no big deal, how is it supposed to save the steel and aluminum industry. Which is it? It's instrumental in saving the industries or it's no big deal, they seem to be mutually exclusive?

Last edited:

Facts

Yet that is wholesale, you will be charged retail...

EVERYTHING this incompetent president does is bad for America and our citizens see it which why he’s the lowest rated president in history

Facts

Yet that is wholesale, you will be charged retail...
YUP you are right! Forgot about that... Let's see they raise the price how much then to cover the costs... say can manufacturer price, distributor, retailer... hmmm say raise 50%...
yup I don't know if I can afford 8/10ths of one cent!

Forum List

Back