I'm Not Sure This Emperor's Got Clothes

There's a paywall on your article, but I've read others that cover the same history. I think your comment "blacks are wary of whites dressing up as black" because of the 150 years of denigration and humiliation behind it is probably the crux of it, and I had thought of that but shouldn't everyone try to curb oversensitivity when it is not called for?

With all due respect, Lady, the offended will decide on their own, and in their own time, when "oversensitivity" ought to be curbed, and when it is not called for, not the members of the offending class.

Racism is racism. It's ugly behavior no matter who it comes from. As a Caucasian I've seen it, been a victim of it and believe people of color can be and are racist towards others they perceive to be different from themselves. The unfortunate part is current social justice movements seem to be embracing this behavior, reminiscent of something like Jim Crow 2.0.

So he said, vigorously, fiercely reclaiming the victim mantle for his five seconds of "ugly" racist oppression he was made to endure.

Right on!

Whose claiming a victim mantle, you prick?

I work with a dyed in the wool progressive who can't help but spout the official party line on every topic, but even he -- in theater by trade -- is not trying to justify the furor over blackface costumes right now.
He and I agree, no question, that true blackface is an insult to blacks. But this is what Herring did:
In a lengthy statement on Wednesday, Herring, a Democrat, said he wore brown makeup and a wig in 1980 to look like a black rapper during a party as an undergraduate at the University of Virginia.

Herring was portraying Kurtis Blow. This is Blow's response:

Rap icon Kurtis Blow is outraged Virginia's Attorney General chose to "honor" him by wearing blackface.
Kurtis was on "TMZ Live" when he called out Mark Herring for being disrespectful, ugly and degrading when he wore blackface in 1980 as a 19-year-old college student at the University of Virginia. Herring admitted to dressing up as the rapper -- complete with "wigs and brown makeup" -- when he performed Blow's songs.

Kurtis Blow Ridicules VA AG Mark Herring for Blackface 'Honoring' Him

A celebrity/performer is OUTRAGED that anyone would dress up like him and do his rap.

But why?

My progressive friend looked at me and wearily said "Right now, any white guy who dresses up like a black guy is doing 'blackface.' " He doesn't get it either, but he says okay; he's a party man.

Look, it isn't like I stay awake at night thinking up ways to offend others. But this is beyond reason. Who are black people to have a rule that none may don a costume pretending to be a black performer? I am NOT talking about blackface. Explain how Herring is an example of blackface and why Blow is so outraged.

This s ignorant bs OldLady and you are above that. You can dress up as a black performer and not wear blackface.

"Herring admitted to dressing up as the rapper -- complete with "wigs and brown makeup" -- when he performed Blow's songs." Can't you read? He did not just dress up as Kurtis Blow, he wore blackface and dressed up as Kurtis Blow. Are you so stupid as to not see the difference?. This is why I posted pictures of the black Elvis. He could have dressed dressed up as Kurtis Blow without the blackface OldLady. Let's stop the white game of forgetting words to create an excuse for the racist behavior by questioning why blacks are complaining by making the issue sound like what it is not.

"Herring admitted to dressing up as the rapper -- complete with "wigs and brown makeup" -- when he performed Blow's songs."
Sorry, IM. I still don't get it. How the fuck am I supposed to look like Tina Turner if I don't put on
upload_2019-2-8_12-24-44.png

That is NOT the same as

blackface-1.jpg

I don't care what you call me. They aren't the same.

There's a paywall on your article, but I've read others that cover the same history. I think your comment "blacks are wary of whites dressing up as black" because of the 150 years of denigration and humiliation behind it is probably the crux of it, and I had thought of that but shouldn't everyone try to curb oversensitivity when it is not called for?

With all due respect, Lady, the offended will decide on their own, and in their own time, when "oversensitivity" ought to be curbed, and when it is not called for, not the members of the offending class.
I'll buy that. I think to keep their argument strong, just as the metoo movement needs to, it should be understandable by reasonable people.

Racism is racism. It's ugly behavior no matter who it comes from. As a Caucasian I've seen it, been a victim of it and believe people of color can be and are racist towards others they perceive to be different from themselves. The unfortunate part is current social justice movements seem to be embracing this behavior, reminiscent of something like Jim Crow 2.0.

So he said, vigorously, fiercely reclaiming the victim mantle for his five seconds of "ugly" racist oppression he was made to endure.

Right on!

That's just 21 minutes between your postings, and you cannot remember the former one?

Right on!

That's just 21 minutes between your postings, and you cannot remember the former one?

I remember it just fine. But you've countered with absolutely nothing of substance in this discussion. Being a victim of racism and declaring a mantle of racial victim hood are two very fucking different things, so I suggest you tread lightly.

I work with a dyed in the wool progressive who can't help but spout the official party line on every topic, but even he -- in theater by trade -- is not trying to justify the furor over blackface costumes right now.
He and I agree, no question, that true blackface is an insult to blacks. But this is what Herring did:
In a lengthy statement on Wednesday, Herring, a Democrat, said he wore brown makeup and a wig in 1980 to look like a black rapper during a party as an undergraduate at the University of Virginia.

Rap icon Kurtis Blow is outraged Virginia's Attorney General chose to "honor" him by wearing blackface.
Kurtis was on "TMZ Live" when he called out Mark Herring for being disrespectful, ugly and degrading when he wore blackface in 1980 as a 19-year-old college student at the University of Virginia. Herring admitted to dressing up as the rapper -- complete with "wigs and brown makeup" -- when he performed Blow's songs.

A celebrity/performer is OUTRAGED that anyone would dress up like him and do his rap.

But why?

My progressive friend looked at me and wearily said "Right now, any white guy who dresses up like a black guy is doing 'blackface.' " He doesn't get it either, but he says okay; he's a party man.

Look, it isn't like I stay awake at night thinking up ways to offend others. But this is beyond reason. Who are black people to have a rule that none may don a costume pretending to be a black performer? I am NOT talking about blackface. Explain how Herring is an example of blackface and why Blow is so outraged.
It is a case of control over what others may want to do..Again an exclusionary right to make people feel special and privileged when they claim they they have been denied the same...I call it being a vindictive hypocrite...

BS.
But it is okay for two black comedians to wear white face and act stupid?

And this is the problem with whites. The false equivalence.

Whites used blackface to denigrate blacks for years. Second blacks were excluded from films and white actors used blackface to denigrate blacks. In the movie white girls, whites were in the movie, it was not an all black cast and you did not and never have seen years of blacks using whiteface portrayals to denigrate all white characters as dumb lazy and dependent upon blacks.

So when you whites want to try arguing consider the history you have created first.

And to answer your question, no. That's why I didn't watch white girls either time. When you can show me a century of such performances on stage and fllm then we can talk.

The problem with that is that there are people who make it a point to be offended over almost anything. So I'm not going to live my life worrying about whether I am going to offend those that are constantly offended anyway.

Here's a concise history of "blackface", the degrading legacy it entails, and how it became part of American culture: Why Won’t Blackface Go Away? It’s Part of America’s Troubled Cultural Legacy

Without that background, yes, the current reaction to Northam would be incomprehensible. Including it, and 150 years of denigration and humiliation, into your deliberations should help explain why blacks are wary of whites dressing up as black. That's the most salient part.

There are at least two additional aspects worth consideration: First, there's the the Culture of Outrage, playing out mostly on so-called "social media", with folks jumping at whatever click bait dangled before their noses.

Second, and maybe more importantly, there's the ratfucking by the right, trying to make up for their losses in Virginia, and desperate to distract from their having the most overtly racist goon in many decades elected to the most powerful office of the land. And that's why they need to amplify the aforementioned "social media" hyperventilation to the max.

What you guys call oversensitivity is always in reference to complaints about obvious white racism.. Because we have argued here where whites get pissy about us not saying "not all whites" before we talk about white racism and we don't read any comments about oversensitivity.

But why?

This s ignorant bs OldLady and you are above that. You can dress up as a black performer and not wear blackface.

"Herring admitted to dressing up as the rapper -- complete with "wigs and brown makeup" -- when he performed Blow's songs." Can't you read? He did not just dress up as Kurtis Blow, he wore blackface and dressed up as Kurtis Blow. Are you so stupid as to not see the difference?. This is why I posted pictures of the black Elvis. He could have dressed dressed up as Kurtis Blow without the blackface OldLady. Let's stop the white game of forgetting words to create an excuse for the racist behavior by questioning why blacks are complaining by making the issue sound like what it is not.

"Herring admitted to dressing up as the rapper -- complete with "wigs and brown makeup" -- when he performed Blow's songs."
Sorry, IM. I still don't get it. How the fuck am I supposed to look like Tina Turner if I don't put on
View attachment 244786

That is NOT the same as

blackface-1.jpg

Congratulations, you have probably made in on IM2's list of racist people for not agreeing with him.

But why?

View attachment 244786

That is NOT the same as

blackface-1.jpg

How is this guy supposed to look like Elvis?

th

They are the same and you whites don't get to determine this.

Here's a concise history of "blackface", the degrading legacy it entails, and how it became part of American culture: Why Won’t Blackface Go Away? It’s Part of America’s Troubled Cultural Legacy

Without that background, yes, the current reaction to Northam would be incomprehensible. Including it, and 150 years of denigration and humiliation, into your deliberations should help explain why blacks are wary of whites dressing up as black. That's the most salient part.

There are at least two additional aspects worth consideration: First, there's the the Culture of Outrage, playing out mostly on so-called "social media", with folks jumping at whatever click bait dangled before their noses.

Second, and maybe more importantly, there's the ratfucking by the right, trying to make up for their losses in Virginia, and desperate to distract from their having the most overtly racist goon in many decades elected to the most powerful office of the land. And that's why they need to amplify the aforementioned "social media" hyperventilation to the max.

What you guys call oversensitivity is always in reference to complaints about obvious white racism.. Because we have argued here where whites get pissy about us not saying "not all whites" before we talk about white racism and we don't read any comments about oversensitivity.
Don't go all Iceberg on me. And I still don't see Herring as an example of obvious white racism; I see him as a guy who is catching an overly sensitive reaction to costumes.

But I listened to the good explanation by Olde Europe and I guess I'll just have to accept that this is the way it is at the moment.

But why?

View attachment 244786

That is NOT the same as

blackface-1.jpg

Congratulations, you have probably made in on IM2's list of racist people for not agreeing with him.

I don't think so. It is not a matter of disagreeing with me you stupid racist piece of shit. OldLady is not a racist because she has not ever presented a racist POV.

But why?

View attachment 244786

That is NOT the same as

blackface-1.jpg

I don't think so. It is not a matter of disagreeing with me you stupid racist piece of shit. OldLady is not a racist because she has not ever presented a racist POV.
banana!

Don't go all Iceberg on me. And I still don't see Herring as an example of obvious white racism; I see him as a guy who is catching an overly sensitive reaction to costumes.

But I listened to the good explanation by Olde Europe and I guess I'll just have to accept that this is the way it is at the moment.

And I am saying that he could have dressed as a rapper without the blackface. I dressed as Abe Lincoln on Halloween in college and didn't have to paint myself white to do it.

But why?

View attachment 244786

That is NOT the same as

blackface-1.jpg

banana!

Ritz crackers.

But why?

View attachment 244786

That is NOT the same as

blackface-1.jpg

Some days, the urge to self-immolate is just too strong to deny.

And I am saying that he could have dressed as a rapper without the blackface. I dressed as Abe Lincoln on Halloween in college and didn't have to paint myself white to do it.
Now we're getting somewhere. Just no skin darkening. I assume a wig is okay?

View attachment 244786

That is NOT the same as

blackface-1.jpg

banana!

Ritz crackers.
Orange--right? I get it.

Forum List

Back