I'm Not Sure This Emperor's Got Clothes

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I work with a dyed in the wool progressive who can't help but spout the official party line on every topic, but even he -- in theater by trade -- is not trying to justify the furor over blackface costumes right now.
He and I agree, no question, that true blackface is an insult to blacks. But this is what Herring did:
In a lengthy statement on Wednesday, Herring, a Democrat, said he wore brown makeup and a wig in 1980 to look like a black rapper during a party as an undergraduate at the University of Virginia.

Herring was portraying Kurtis Blow. This is Blow's response:

Rap icon Kurtis Blow is outraged Virginia's Attorney General chose to "honor" him by wearing blackface.
Kurtis was on "TMZ Live" when he called out Mark Herring for being disrespectful, ugly and degrading when he wore blackface in 1980 as a 19-year-old college student at the University of Virginia. Herring admitted to dressing up as the rapper -- complete with "wigs and brown makeup" -- when he performed Blow's songs.

Kurtis Blow Ridicules VA AG Mark Herring for Blackface 'Honoring' Him

A celebrity/performer is OUTRAGED that anyone would dress up like him and do his rap.

But why?

My progressive friend looked at me and wearily said "Right now, any white guy who dresses up like a black guy is doing 'blackface.' " He doesn't get it either, but he says okay; he's a party man.

Look, it isn't like I stay awake at night thinking up ways to offend others. But this is beyond reason. Who are black people to have a rule that none may don a costume pretending to be a black performer? I am NOT talking about blackface. Explain how Herring is an example of blackface and why Blow is so outraged.

I remember when Imitation was the Most Sincere form of Flattery...

How times have changed

I work with a dyed in the wool progressive who can't help but spout the official party line on every topic, but even he -- in theater by trade -- is not trying to justify the furor over blackface costumes right now.
He and I agree, no question, that true blackface is an insult to blacks. But this is what Herring did:
In a lengthy statement on Wednesday, Herring, a Democrat, said he wore brown makeup and a wig in 1980 to look like a black rapper during a party as an undergraduate at the University of Virginia.

Rap icon Kurtis Blow is outraged Virginia's Attorney General chose to "honor" him by wearing blackface.
Kurtis was on "TMZ Live" when he called out Mark Herring for being disrespectful, ugly and degrading when he wore blackface in 1980 as a 19-year-old college student at the University of Virginia. Herring admitted to dressing up as the rapper -- complete with "wigs and brown makeup" -- when he performed Blow's songs.

A celebrity/performer is OUTRAGED that anyone would dress up like him and do his rap.

But why?

My progressive friend looked at me and wearily said "Right now, any white guy who dresses up like a black guy is doing 'blackface.' " He doesn't get it either, but he says okay; he's a party man.

Look, it isn't like I stay awake at night thinking up ways to offend others. But this is beyond reason. Who are black people to have a rule that none may don a costume pretending to be a black performer? I am NOT talking about blackface. Explain how Herring is an example of blackface and why Blow is so outraged.

This reminds me of the madness that I read about in the 1960's during Chairman Mao's Cultural Revolution, referred to in the Beatles song, "Revolution."

Revolution
Song by The Beatles

You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be
All right, all right, all right
You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We're doing what we can
But if you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell is brother you have to wait
You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You better free you mind instead
But if you go carrying pictures of chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow

All right, all right

(Rare live performance)

How times have changed

But it's still ok for people actually have surgical mutilation so they can imitate a member the opposite sex.

:laughing0301:

How times have changed
Herring may have been mocking him (in 1980 I couldn't abide being in the room with rap), but Imitation is still a good Indication of Fame. When you go public as a celebrity, you sign on for that, too.
Our black posters haven't had anything to say on this in the other threads, so I came here to see if I could get some further insight.

But why?

It is a case of control over what others may want to do..Again an exclusionary right to make people feel special and privileged when they claim they they have been denied the same...I call it being a vindictive hypocrite...

How times have changed

But it's still ok for people actually have surgical mutilation so they can imitate a member the opposite sex.

:laughing0301:
Stick to the topic, please.

The topic is racial cross-dressing. Why wouldn't a woman be just as offended if a man was trying to imitate a woman?
That is not why they would be offended or mad, for a woman if the man had better fashion sense or a larger budget she would be offended by the man..

But why?

/----/ When I was 8 or 9, I dressed in White Face to mock those from Transylvania. I won't apologize for it either.
iu

Here's a concise history of "blackface", the degrading legacy it entails, and how it became part of American culture: Why Won’t Blackface Go Away? It’s Part of America’s Troubled Cultural Legacy

Without that background, yes, the current reaction to Northam would be incomprehensible. Including it, and 150 years of denigration and humiliation, into your deliberations should help explain why blacks are wary of whites dressing up as black. That's the most salient part.

There are at least two additional aspects worth consideration: First, there's the the Culture of Outrage, playing out mostly on so-called "social media", with folks jumping at whatever click bait dangled before their noses.

Second, and maybe more importantly, there's the ratfucking by the right, trying to make up for their losses in Virginia, and desperate to distract from their having the most overtly racist goon in many decades elected to the most powerful office of the land. And that's why they need to amplify the aforementioned "social media" hyperventilation to the max.

Here's a concise history of "blackface", the degrading legacy it entails, and how it became part of American culture: Why Won’t Blackface Go Away? It’s Part of America’s Troubled Cultural Legacy

Without that background, yes, the current reaction to Northam would be incomprehensible. Including it, and 150 years of denigration and humiliation, into your deliberations should help explain why blacks are wary of whites dressing up as black. That's the most salient part.

There are at least two additional aspects worth consideration: First, there's the the Culture of Outrage, playing out mostly on so-called "social media", with folks jumping at whatever click bait dangled before their noses.

Second, and maybe more importantly, there's the ratfucking by the right, trying to make up for their losses in Virginia, and desperate to distract from their having the most overtly racist goon in many decades elected to the most powerful office of the land. And that's why they need to amplify the aforementioned "social media" hyperventilation to the max.

Why wouldn't we want to ratfuck the left? We're merely using against them the same Alinskyite tactics they wrote the book on. If we can systematically take out one Democrat after another by using their own playbook, it's all good with me.

But why?

This social justice movement in America is seriously poisoning the well. I find wearing black face to be a really stupid act, whether motivated by racism or not. But, this campaign of shaming others for things they did in school 30-40 years ago is pathetic. We've all done stupid stuff in our youth. Sometimes it's naivety, sometimes arrogance. Perhaps it's because our brains haven't fully developed yet, who knows. Going after someone for shitty things they may/may not have done in the past is one thing, but these days it seems like the goal is to find dirt specifically to disparage people we may disagree with. It's gutter politics, and the media is a willing accessory. There are no winners in these situations because morality is never a factor.

Some people say black/brown/purple/orange people can't be racist, and it's complete bullshit. Racism is racism. It's ugly behavior no matter who it comes from. As a Caucasian I've seen it, been a victim of it and believe people of color can be and are racist towards others they perceive to be different from themselves. The unfortunate part is current social justice movements seem to be embracing this behavior, reminiscent of something like Jim Crow 2.0.

But why?

It's simply another example of the way that race has been weaponized for politics (and other reasons). It's kind of ironic that the "progressives" are failing to live up to their own rules. Faux (false) Outrage is running rampant.

But why?

This s ignorant bs OldLady and you are above that. You can dress up as a black performer and not wear blackface.

"Herring admitted to dressing up as the rapper -- complete with "wigs and brown makeup" -- when he performed Blow's songs." Can't you read? He did not just dress up as Kurtis Blow, he wore blackface and dressed up as Kurtis Blow. Are you so stupid as to not see the difference?. This is why I posted pictures of the black Elvis. He could have dressed dressed up as Kurtis Blow without the blackface OldLady. Let's stop the white game of forgetting words to create an excuse for the racist behavior by questioning why blacks are complaining by making the issue sound like what it is not.

"Herring admitted to dressing up as the rapper -- complete with "wigs and brown makeup" -- when he performed Blow's songs."

But why?

It is a case of control over what others may want to do..Again an exclusionary right to make people feel special and privileged when they claim they they have been denied the same...I call it being a vindictive hypocrite...

BS.

But why?

BS.
But it is okay for two black comedians to wear white face and act stupid?

There's a paywall on your article, but I've read others that cover the same history. I think your comment "blacks are wary of whites dressing up as black" because of the 150 years of denigration and humiliation behind it is probably the crux of it, and I had thought of that but shouldn't everyone try to curb oversensitivity when it is not called for?

Racism is racism. It's ugly behavior no matter who it comes from. As a Caucasian I've seen it, been a victim of it and believe people of color can be and are racist towards others they perceive to be different from themselves. The unfortunate part is current social justice movements seem to be embracing this behavior, reminiscent of something like Jim Crow 2.0.

So he said, vigorously, fiercely reclaiming the victim mantle for his five seconds of "ugly" racist oppression he was made to endure.

Right on!

Forum List

Back