I'm Done Eating At Burger King

I'm Done Eating At Burger King

I have to say, I've been done eating at Burger King for 30 years. Other than their onion rings, which I still will try once a year or so, I find their food atrocious.

This entire debate is stupid at face value. Congress writes the tax laws, and citizens and corporations follow the tax laws. If the consequences are undesirable, change the law. If the law does not change, vote differently. If that doesn't work, move to Canada or something....heh

The Democrats are trying, it's the Republicans that are the problem.

They're not "skipping out on their taxes". Every Burger King restaurant in the country will continue to pay plenty of taxes.

They're making the best business decision that will return the most dividends to their investors - which is exactly what every corporation in the world is obligated to do.

Income taxes when the corporate entity is Canadian?

They're not "skipping out on their taxes". Every Burger King restaurant in the country will continue to pay plenty of taxes.

They're making the best business decision that will return the most dividends to their investors - which is exactly what every corporation in the world is obligated to do.

Pull up BK's SEC filing for the last five years. Pay particular attention to the 'differed' monies.

Income taxes when the corporate entity is Canadian?

Yep.

Foreign-based corporations pay US corporate taxes on income generated within the US.

Not to mention, something like 80% of Burger Kings are franchises, and therefore pay taxes separately from the "corporate entity".

Yep.

Foreign-based corporations pay US corporate taxes on income generated within the US.

Not to mention, something like 80% of Burger Kings are franchises, and therefore pay taxes separately from the "corporate entity".

What was Halliburton's income tax bill last year?

Burger King franchises are NOT Burger King corporation, thus have nothing to do with this thread.

Yeah, so they say, but I don't see how bringing more BK into Canada is somehow a bigger market than bringing Tim Hortons to the US. It seems the opposite to me. There is a huge market in the US for Tim Hortons.

TH has tried that...last time, they got absolutely pasted and closed every one in <6 years. Might work someplace else...but NOBODY can touch Dunkin Donuts in the northeast!

Dunkin Donuts is not popular here. (Sorry) That awful CCs does pretty well. They use Community Coffee (chicory) which is a local thang. I don't care for it at all.

Absolutely. As I said, foreign corporations with operations in the U.S. pay U.S. taxes for those entities.

Halliburton, a UAE corporation, paid how much in income taxes last year?

Uh....Halliburton is incorporated as a U.S. corporation. It's international operations do not have have have U.S tax liability unless Halliburton repatriates cash.

Their 2013 income statement shows consolidated income taxes of $648M.

Really, if you're going to try to play "gotcha", at least do a bit of homework first.

Dunkin Donuts is not popular here. (Sorry) That awful CCs does pretty well. They use Community Coffee (chicory) which is a local thang. I don't care for it at all.

Except that south Louisiana is not THE NORTHEAST in any way, shape, or form!

Are you coming to anything like a point here anytime soon? Because you know, I have a vacation coming up next year and I don't want to miss it.

I'll still do my annual BK lunch of one bacon double cheeseburger, small fries and diet coke.

Diet Coke? Why bother?
Speaking of Coke. Last year Coke paid 713 million in US Corp. taxes on 11.4 billion in earning (6.3%). Burger Kind paid 33 million on 822 million in earnings (4%).
Canada has one of the best tax brackets for big business.

But the US has a better effective (actual) rate. Which would you rather pay......

then why are so many big companies moving to Canada? Keep in mind we had no banking crisis either which attracts big business.
For the same reasons they move to other countries, to locate closer to suppliers and major markets, economic stability, politics, and taxes.

It's not the IRS tax rates that's important but rather what the corporation pays in taxes, the effective rate which is around 18% for large corporations. Small corporations pay little or nothing while medium size corporation have the highest rate. Business such as mining that pays an average of 8%, computer software at 10%, and petroleum at 12% love the US tax code. Not so with trucking, household products, and restaurants who pay 31%, 29%, and 20%.

IRS rates are higher than most other countries but the real problem is not the rates but rather the effective rate. This is due to the huge inequity in the tax code that has been created by congress.

Last edited:
then why are so many big companies moving to Canada? Keep in mind we had no banking crisis either which attracts big business.

If you look at the US companies moving to Canada, almost all have differed income, so the reason is to skip on taxes owed. Don't feel bad, I'm sure they'll do the same to you guys.....

Uh....Halliburton is incorporated as a U.S. corporation. It's international operations do not have have have U.S tax liability unless Halliburton repatriates cash.

Their 2013 income statement shows consolidated income taxes of $648M.

Really, if you're going to try to play "gotcha", at least do a bit of homework first.

Let's see some SEC filings.

Forum List

Back