I'm Done Eating At Burger King

God Damm it...A company uses the tax code to their advantage...
How dare they not pay their "fair share"
Lizzie Warren wept after hearing the news of this...

There's a rumor that Lizzie might have been heard to mumble...
When I'm President in a few years I will have Burger World's CFO's balls in my hand
and I will squeeze until I hear at least one of them "pop"....

But this of course is a rumor.
You just can't trust things said on the "InterWeb"...

How is this "effective tax rate" calculated, and what is the effective tax rate for every other country on the list?

"Effective tax rate" = taxes paid / income x 100. It's the percentage of income actually paid in taxes, after deductions, shelters and everything else.

Wrong. The rate you pay is a percentage of your income, which is defined as gross revenues minus expenses (deductions, in other words). One has to wonder what you're calling "income" in your equation. You can have gross revenues of $100 billion and income of $1.00 and pay income taxes of $0.39. That doesn't make your "effective rate" 0.000000000001%. It makes your effective rate 39%

I don't see how anything you've posted contradicts what I said...

You said the "effective tax rate" is the rate you get by substracting tax deductions from income. However, income is calculated by subtracting deductions (expenses) from gross revenue, so your calculation subtracts deductions twice.

It doesn't work that way.

No, that's not what I said at all.

OF course that's what you said, because according to your formula, the "effective tax rate" would be 39% for every corporation. A corporation's "income" is the figure it reports to the IRS after all deductions, tax shelters and whatever are deducted from gross revenue. So how does income differ gross revenue according to your formula?

I love how self-proclaimed "fiscal conservatives" are embarrassing themselves beyond belief in this thread by implying that Burger King will never ever pay any taxes at all to any entity in the U.S. ever again. It really shows that the only thing you people are conservative about is your education.

I haven't noticed any conservative claiming that. Could you quote an example?

Replace the corporate tax with a national sales tax.

Will that make you people happy?

No. There needs to be a 100% tax on corporate profits, otherwise they'll just use it to buy out their competitors--thus instituting a monopoly--and move overseas. By taxing the profits rather than the revenue, they are able to still fund their continued operations, so it's not as if they'd be forced to shut down. This solution benefits everyone.

I love how self-proclaimed "fiscal conservatives" are embarrassing themselves beyond belief in this thread by implying that Burger King will never ever pay any taxes at all to any entity in the U.S. ever again. It really shows that the only thing you people are conservative about is your education.

Certainly. There's one in the OP of this very thread:

When an American Company moves its headquarters out of the nation to avoid paying taxes then it is no longer an American company and not worthy of my business.

Burger King to buy Tim Hortons with help from Warren Buffett move headquarters to Canada - NY Daily News

However, the issue here is a blatant misunderstanding due to lack of education rather than deliberate lies. I stated that posters like DaGoose are implying that Burger King will never pay any taxes to any U.S. entity, not that they're claiming it word-for-word. The implication is pervasive throughout this thread and all others I've read here on the subject, due entirely to the posters' lack of knowledge of the tax system; I've yet to see anyone go out of their way to purposefully misinform others.

No. There needs to be a 100% tax on corporate profits, otherwise they'll just use it to buy out their competitors--thus instituting a monopoly--and move overseas. By taxing the profits rather than the revenue, they are able to still fund their continued operations, so it's not as if they'd be forced to shut down. This solution benefits everyone.

Because the sole purpose of corporations to go into business is to...
Provide Jobs
Make money to be paid as taxes.
Make sure they provide a way for people to earn a "fair wage"

Is that it?

Because the sole purpose of corporations to go into business is to...
Provide Jobs
Make money to be paid as taxes.
Make sure they provide a way for people to earn a "fair wage"

Is that it?

Yes! I'm glad that you've finally come to this important realization. Welcome to the Democratic Party, fellow lybyryl.

I don't know why businesses are taxed at all. The wages they provide their employees are taxed, the property they are on is taxed, they pay sales tax on equipment and supplies. Jobs are so important, that I don't see the sense in punishing business with business taxes.

How is this "effective tax rate" calculated, and what is the effective tax rate for every other country on the list?

"Effective tax rate" = taxes paid / income x 100. It's the percentage of income actually paid in taxes, after deductions, shelters and everything else.

Wrong. The rate you pay is a percentage of your income, which is defined as gross revenues minus expenses (deductions, in other words). One has to wonder what you're calling "income" in your equation. You can have gross revenues of $100 billion and income of $1.00 and pay income taxes of $0.39. That doesn't make your "effective rate" 0.000000000001%. It makes your effective rate 39%

I don't see how anything you've posted contradicts what I said...

You said the "effective tax rate" is the rate you get by substracting tax deductions from income. However, income is calculated by subtracting deductions (expenses) from gross revenue, so your calculation subtracts deductions twice.

It doesn't work that way.

No, that's not what I said at all.

OF course that's what you said, because according to your formula, the "effective tax rate" would be 39% for every corporation. A corporation's "income" is the figure it reports to the IRS after all deductions, tax shelters and whatever are deducted from gross revenue.

I'm not sure why this seems to be so hard for you to understand.

Effective Tax Rate Definition Investopedia

I don't know why businesses are taxed at all. The wages they provide their employees are taxed, the property they are on is taxed, they pay sales tax on equipment and supplies. Jobs are so important, that I don't see the sense in punishing business with business taxes.

It's not punishment, it's them paying their fair share.

Which really is unfairly too small.

Burger King has over 6000 locations in the US. 95% franchised. Those franchisees, mostly locally owned pay US taxes just like any other US business.

When an American Company moves its headquarters out of the nation to avoid paying taxes then it is no longer an American company and not worthy of my business.

Burger King to buy Tim Hortons with help from Warren Buffett move headquarters to Canada - NY Daily News

However, the issue here is a blatant misunderstanding due to lack of education rather than deliberate lies. I stated that posters like DaGoose are implying that Burger King will never pay any taxes to any U.S. entity, not that they're claiming it word-for-word. The implication is pervasive throughout this thread and all others I've read here on the subject, due entirely to the posters' lack of knowledge of the tax system; I've yet to see anyone go out of their way to purposefully misinform others.

Precisely.
"When an American Company moves its headquarters out of the nation to avoid paying taxes" is a hypothetical statement. It's different from saying "An American Company is moving its headquarters out of the nation to avoid paying taxes" which is a declarative statement. Weasel words to lead the gullible. Counting on the sheep not to read too closely.

Precisely.
"When an American Company moves its headquarters out of the nation to avoid paying taxes" is a hypothetical statement. It's different from saying "An American Company is moving its headquarters out of the nation to avoid paying taxes" which is a declarative statement. Weasel words to lead the gullible. Counting on the sheep not to read too closely.
I've found that most people on this forum stick with their beliefs regardless of what you post, even it totally disproves their position. Sometimes it makes you wonder why you waste your time doing this.

Burger King did nothing "wrong", and boycotts are stupid.

But it's silly to think that taxes were a primary "reason" that the merger occurred.

There a lot easier and cheaper ways to save money on their taxes. Last year, Tim Hortons and Burger King paid essentially the effective effective tax rates.

Skipping out on your taxes is 'NOTHING WRONG?'

Easy peasy. Foreign corporations with operations in the U.S. pay U.S. income taxes on those operations....but their home countries don't double tax their operations in the U.S., unlike how the U.S. system is designed.

Foreign corporations pay US income taxes? Really? You sure about that?

Easy peasy. Foreign corporations with operations in the U.S. pay U.S. income taxes on those operations....but their home countries don't double tax their operations in the U.S., unlike how the U.S. system is designed.

Absolutely. As I said, foreign corporations with operations in the U.S. pay U.S. taxes for those entities.

Absolutely. As I said, foreign corporations with operations in the U.S. pay U.S. taxes for those entities based on their income.

The liberal hero Warren Buffet is going to make a 9% return by financing 3 billion dollars on the move.

The same Warren Buffet mind you that said this:

Say, do liberals know or care what GE pays in taxes?

Mind you, liberals are the same people that are bragging about the artificially inflated stock market, and they are same group of scumshit that shows up to OWS protests, while they enjoy all of the things big corporations produce for them, and they gleefully buy as they point their crud shit covered fingers at how evil they are.

The pathetic thing is how their double talk, and hypocrisy makes sense to them.

Forum List

Back