I'm afraid I'm going to have to put my friend down soon

She's a beauty. So long as she's not in pain leave her be. But if she begins to suffer you have to help her. We had one cat who while frail was never hurting...we left him to pass naturally, but his sister was having a very hard time so we helped her along. It's sad, but it's the right thing to do. My heart is sad for you!

Pets are wonderful. Look at the outpouring of sentiment. It's nice we can come together via our love for our animals...er...babies.

4828-1485321233-ed3c71b258771077a6039fc4cffe1534.jpg

A close friend of mine died at 82 and asked me to take care of his dog. It took a while for her to warm up to me. But now she puts her head against my chest in a show of affection. She sits next to me on the couch and puts one paw on my leg. If I sit on the floor, she comes and sits by me and puts one paw on my leg.
Lately, halfway up the stairs, she stops and looks at me, clearly asking to be carried. So I pick her up and carry her the rest of the way.
She used to be really brown and now is so very gray. I went through it before. I had a dog from a little tiny puppy to a very old dog. It was difficult. It will be again.

Molly is a beautiful pure bread lab. The kind you see on boxes and dog food sacks.
She's now past 13. She has a real hard time getting up. She's on estrogen. Sometimes she looks so stressed out.
She used to go golfing with me, and the people on the course loved her.
She was great to take fishing loved to retrieve when hunting.
When the time comes I don't know if I can do it.
I could not do it, with my 16 year old kitty cat...just could not do it...she had 5 days where she was struggling to stay alive, she wanted to stay alive, with us, and I pray God has made a place for the special creatures He created for us, in our next life! I want there to be a RAINBOW BRIDGE, some place in Heaven where we will meet again!!! (please Lord, let there be a rainbow bridge....) :(

Anyway, she took her last breath on my lap, purring just an hour before she died...what a special kitty girl she was... my husband and I, would not have traded those last 5 days with her, for anything in the world!

Though, it was really really really sad, when she passed on...even right now, reliving those last few days and moments, is making me tear up now... but the hubby and I both, told the Doc no...and we spent the next 5 days, showing her and telling her, what a good kitty girl she was....

ok, that's my sad story... just think long and hard, before making that decision....honestly, it is a HARD decision, which ever way you go...

Last edited:
My heart goes out to you and Molly, Tyrone, she's beautiful (((hugs)))
As others have said, When the time comes, get the vet to come to you. It makes it a little easier on you both.
And just treasure every moment up till then.

Another pet I had was Missy, a black shitzu the Humane society had. She had fleas,lice and cowered in a corner. No one would pick her, I thought, I have to take her. After getting cleaned up, she ran under furniture to corners, shaking so badly. The vet didn't know if she could ever form a bond.

I got her and forced her to lay down with me. We did create a bond and she could never be without me.

I had to go to Florida to see my parents and left her in the care of a vet. She acquired Parvo, despite inoculations. My son was in Florida and came down with the measles. He couldn't be allowed on the plane back. I knew he was in good care with my mother, but Missy was dying. I had to be there.

I went to the vet's as soon as I arrived in town and the vet confirmed, she was dying. I took her home to be with me when she passed. She laid in bed looking up at me and she seemed to be following me with her eyes. But she was so weak. I went to the kitchen to get her food and unbelievably, she jumped off the bed and followed me there.

She became stronger and actually survived. What a blessing! I had three more years with her. I loved her so much! Be strong. Give unconditional love and you will always get it back...

As an aside, my son made it home a week later and all was well!

Molly is a beautiful pure bread lab. The kind you see on boxes and dog food sacks.
She's now past 13. She has a real hard time getting up. She's on estrogen. Sometimes she looks so stressed out.

Sorry to hear it. They are like part of the family.

Sometimes it's better than watching them suffer.

4828-1485321233-ed3c71b258771077a6039fc4cffe1534.jpg

A close friend of mine died at 82 and asked me to take care of his dog. It took a while for her to warm up to me. But now she puts her head against my chest in a show of affection. She sits next to me on the couch and puts one paw on my leg. If I sit on the floor, she comes and sits by me and puts one paw on my leg.
Lately, halfway up the stairs, she stops and looks at me, clearly asking to be carried. So I pick her up and carry her the rest of the way.
She used to be really brown and now is so very gray. I went through it before. I had a dog from a little tiny puppy to a very old dog. It was difficult. It will be again.

We may disagree about how the world works...but you are a good guy to take in a stray critter. That elevates you in my eyes...don't know if that does anything for ya. LOL!

She's a beautiful dog. I'm sure she knows how loved she is. I pray for a peaceful passing for her when it's time, and that you will know in your heart you did the best for her.

Tyrone, they make some pretty decent harness' for helping dogs up - I had one for one of my dogs. Had a handle at the shoulders and one at the hips. I wonder if that might help getting up? Get you a little more quality time together?

we feel for you

hang in there

we are going through the same with Nyla

she is 13 going on 14

she started to have serious seizures this past year

and getting a little forgetful and gets confused easily

we will keep her comfortable and cherish the time we have left

we feel for you

hang in there

she is 13 going on 14

Seizures are rough :( I'm sorry you're having to go through that with her. I have a 14 yr old too...she's a spitfire still, every day is a gift :)

we feel for you

hang in there

she is 13 going on 14

Seizures are rough :( I'm sorry you're having to go through that with her. I have a 14 yr old too...she's a spitfire still, every day is a gift :)

im glad to hear yours is doing fine

Nyla has her good days

her first seizure was the roughest

we didnt understand what was going on

now we know how to deal with it

it is hard to see her going down hill

She is a beauty! Just remember to give her lots of extra hugs. I have great empathy for you and the coming decision.

We had to put down our 17 yr old black lab 2 years ago Mar. I am tearing up thinking about it. Hardest thing to do, but he is running now with the other 5 that were part of our pack- 4 of which were a family if labs. He was the last to go. The others were hard, too, but he held an extra special place in my heart-a bond that was simply amazing. He was my shadow, protector, and best friend. We had him from birth.
I didn't know if I could ever do it, but one night he suddenly couldn't get up. He'd had trouble for quite a while getting up, but
I just lifted his hips and he was on his way. He would have to take corners carefully or he might slide, but he was happy. That night he let me know it was time. He had never cried a day in his life and he barked at me with such pain I knew. They came in the morning to put him down. He went very peacefully .
You will know when, and your friend will let you know as well. And you can do it.

Afterwards it has been soooo hard. And I will think I see him out of the corner of my eye when it is just a shadow or think, was that a bark I heard, his was very distinct. He talked to me.

It does get easier with time. And we always remember once again he is free from his crippled body. And all the great memories we made together. That helps see us through.

Good luck to you and yours. Give her a hug from a fellow lab lover

Last edited:

Forum List

Back