I'm afraid I'm going to have to put my friend down soon

tyroneweaver

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2012
Burley, Idaho
Molly is a beautiful pure bread lab. The kind you see on boxes and dog food sacks.
She's now past 13. She has a real hard time getting up. She's on estrogen. Sometimes she looks so stressed out.
She used to go golfing with me, and the people on the course loved her.
She was great to take fishing loved to retrieve when hunting.
When the time comes I don't know if I can do it.

• Banned
DSC_3780.JPG

Oh, Tyrone, I feel so badly for you! I've been there. It is one of the worst experiences. Let me tell you what happened to me.

My best friend was a lab/Chow mix. She was black with a white circle on her belly. Thus, the name Eight Ball was fitting. She was 14. She had dementia, and I could tell she was in pain when she was trying to get up. It was time.

I took it very hard and one afternoon I was laying down...don't think I was asleep but in a twilight sense. All of the sudden, as my eyes were closed, I could see her plainly, youthful as ever. She was barking, and for some reason I knew what she was saying..."I made it! I made it!" she barked. I was hurt that she didn't say, I love you or I miss you as much as you loved me.

But I kept focus on her and her enthusiasm. She kept looking to the right and all of the sudden, her best friend from her earthly days came running to her side! That was George. They loved one another and had met up on the other side of the "Rainbow Bridge."

As much as I was loving seeing her again, she happily ran off with George, and I knew they were about to go on an adventure they loved so much.

I don't know if that scene was from God, my Angels or my imagination, but it gave me comfort just seeing her so happy again.

She will be waiting for me at that bridge some day and we'll be together again.

Jackson

Molly is a beautiful pure bread lab. The kind you see on boxes and dog food sacks.
She's now past 13. She has a real hard time getting up. She's on estrogen. Sometimes she looks so stressed out.
I couldn't take my beautiful 110 lbs pure black pitbull... cancer..... I pussied out...my wife took him. It's been more than 6 years ago but it seems like it was yesterday...

Sorry to hear....

Putting down a faithful friend is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Knowing when to break down and make that trip to have them put out of their misery is the hardest thing to decide. You have to weigh the fact that their quality of life is suffering against your need to keep them around another day hoping that they will get better and just going through a tough spell. Sometimes it works out because you latched onto some medication or therapy for him/her...sometimes it doesn't and reality sets in that you are simply keeping them around because the alternative is too hard to bear. I don't envy you. May God grant you the wisdom and here's a prayer for your friend that she starts feeling better....good on ya.

I've had to do it six times over the years. You'll find the strength because you won't be able to stand seeing her suffer.
Do everything you can to extend her life but recognize the time when her life is no longer enjoyable.

When the time comes find a vet that makes house calls,it will lesson her anxiety.

My heart goes out to you.

Our vet makes house calls in situations like this so as not to ad needless stress to the animal. Doesn't make it any easier though. Good luck.

I couldn't take my beautiful 110 lbs pure black pitbull... cancer..... I pussied out...my wife took him. It's been more than 6 years ago but it seems like it was yesterday...

I couldnt do that.
I held all my dogs when the deed was done,I felt I owed them that for the joy they brought me over the years.
Of course I cried like a baby for hours afterwards.

I understand......I went because of selfish reasons for myself....just had to hold them while they still had life......and like "HereWe Go Again" said....the tears flowed. I would get a sudden flood of memories or I would see something or hear something that made me think of them and that grief would hit me all over again and it went on for months..... because they left a void in my life that only they could fill. I still miss my friends but now the memories of them make me smile instead of wanting to cry. The fact that people have the capacity to love and then grieve the loss is a tremendous gift even in spite of the pain. Good on ya, my brother.

I understand......I went because of selfish reasons for myself....just had to hold them while they still had life......and like "HereWe Go Again" said....the tears flowed. I would get a sudden flood of memories or I would see something or hear something that made me think of them and that grief would hit me all over again and it went on for months..... because they left a void in my life that only they could fill. I still miss my friends but now the memories of them make me smile instead of wanting to cry. The fact that people have the capacity to love and then grieve the loss is a tremendous gift even in spite of the pain. Good on ya, my brother.

Four of my six buddies line my mantle in the form of ashes.
At first seeing them up there makes you sad as all get out but as time passes they bring a smile to your face because you remember the good times and you feel better for the act of memorializing them.

The girl in my avi's death is still to raw in my memory to replace her just yet.
But the time will come when I wont be able to stand not having a couple of four legged friends running around the house and pooping all over the place as pups.

I'm so sorry.

Eight Ball's ashes are buried in my back yard, on a hill. Her plaque reads, "If tears could build a ladder, I would climb up and get you again."

Forum List

Back