"illegal immigrants doing jobs Americans don't want to do"...Myth or reality?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
I was listening to another advocate of amnesty make the common statement that illegals are doing jobs Americans don't want to do and here are the "FACTS" regarding that statement.

This analysis tests the often-made argument that immigrants do only jobs Americans don't want. If the argument is correct, there should be occupations comprised entirely or almost entirely of immigrants (legal and illegal).
But Census Bureau data collected from 2009 to 2011, which allows for detailed analysis of all 472 separate occupations, shows that there were only a handful of majority-immigrant occupations. Thus, there really are no jobs that Americans won't do. Further, we estimated the share of occupations that are comprised of illegal immigrants, and found that there are no occupations in which the majority of workers are illegally in the country.
Among the findings:
  • Of the 472 civilian occupations, only six are majority immigrant (legal and illegal). These six occupations account for 1 percent of the total U.S. workforce. Moreover, native-born Americans still comprise 46 percent of workers even in these occupations.
  • Many jobs often thought to be overwhelmingly immigrant (legal and illegal) are in fact majority native-born:
  • Maids and housekeepers: 51 percent native-born
  • Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: 58 percent native-born
  • Butchers and meat processors: 63 percent native-born
  • Grounds maintenance workers: 64 percent native-born
  • Construction laborers: 66 percent native-born
  • Porters, bellhops, and concierges: 72 percent native-born
  • Janitors: 73 percent native-born
Are There Really Jobs Americans Won t Do Center for Immigration Studies

I'm just showing the FACTS behind that "myth"...

Complete bs, advocates just toss that out there, and we are supposed to buy it as fact. Been inside of an American factory lately? People want me to believe there are millions of jobs that 90 million unemployed Americans wont do? What a crock of shit!

On top of it, our kids can't get starter jobs, because illegal scum take most of the fast food jobs. It's why my family doesn't eat that crap.

Last edited:
This argument, in the form stated, is incorrect, or at any rate, misleading. The problem is not in Americans, who refuse to work, but in a fact that a lot of employers choose the immigrants because they are easier to exploit.

This argument, in the form stated, is incorrect, or at any rate, misleading. The problem is not in Americans, who refuse to work, but in a fact that a lot of employers choose the immigrants because they are easier to exploit.

Yep and it should be a crime that carries massive punishment. Even jail time, for hiring these freeloaders.

If we have 40 million foreign-born in our country, they make up about 13% of our population, so they make up per capita
  • Maids and housekeepers: 49 percent foreign born, 4 times their number
  • Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: 42 percent foreign born, 3.5 times their number
  • Butchers and meat processors: 37 percent foreign born, 3 times their number
  • Grounds maintenance workers: 36 percent foreign born, 3 times their number
  • Construction laborers: 34 percent foreign born, almost 3 times their number
  • Porters, bellhops, and concierges: 28 percent foreign born, about 2.5 their number
  • Janitors: 27 percent foreign born, about 2.5 their number
Sigh.

I was listening to another advocate of amnesty make the common statement that illegals are doing jobs Americans don't want to do and here are the "FACTS" regarding that statement.

This analysis tests the often-made argument that immigrants do only jobs Americans don't want. If the argument is correct, there should be occupations comprised entirely or almost entirely of immigrants (legal and illegal).
But Census Bureau data collected from 2009 to 2011, which allows for detailed analysis of all 472 separate occupations, shows that there were only a handful of majority-immigrant occupations. Thus, there really are no jobs that Americans won't do. Further, we estimated the share of occupations that are comprised of illegal immigrants, and found that there are no occupations in which the majority of workers are illegally in the country.
Among the findings:
  • Of the 472 civilian occupations, only six are majority immigrant (legal and illegal). These six occupations account for 1 percent of the total U.S. workforce. Moreover, native-born Americans still comprise 46 percent of workers even in these occupations.
  • Many jobs often thought to be overwhelmingly immigrant (legal and illegal) are in fact majority native-born:

There are no jobs that "Americans won't do". There are, however, increasing numbers of Americans who are too spoiled and precious to do jobs for what they're worth.

Among the findings:

Americans will do any job if the pay is right.

Americans will do any job if they want to eat and don't have government hand outs to live off sitting around on their lard asses.

Where are your facts? You are just guessing. Please provide FACTS as I did.
You are not believable if you just spout your opinion. Your myths! Give me facts that "a lot of employers"...HOW MANY???

You are not believable if you just spout your opinion. Your myths! Give me facts that "a lot of employers"...HOW MANY???
Your "facts" were exploded with numbers. Fail again.

Look at construction jobs illegals are now doing. There was a time that young Americans got into the trades and worked their way up. My house was built by a custom home builder who got his start painting houses. Now he owns his own company with his brother and they employ dozens of workers. Not one black American worked on my house, at least a dozen Hispanics were on the job site. They did an amazing job on the drywall.

Go to the nearest Home Depot, Lowe's, or nursery to see who're looking for any available jobs, no matter how menial.

Americans will do any job if they want to eat and don't have government hand outs to live off sitting around on their lard asses.
You mean you don't want a level playing field for capital and labor.
So by level playing field you think a person who has spent $100,000 for a 4 year electrical engineering degree should be paid the same
as a person who only needs to show up on time every day to sweep floors? Is that the level playing field?
Also FACT instead of guesses:

As Gruber said because of the "Stupidity of the American Voter" most uninformed voters that voted for Obama don't seem to know that:
In 1979 6,912,000 or 13.4% of all hourly workers worked at minimum wage of the total hourly workers of 51,582,090
In 1989 3,162,000 or 50% LESS working at minimum wage of the 62,000,000 people working at hourly wage
In 2009 there were 3,572,000 people working at minimum wage of the total work force of 72,897,959 at hourly wage or 4.9%

Finally in 2013 there were 3,300,000 working at minimum or 4.3% of 76,744,186 that work at hourly.
AND of the 3.3 million working at minimum wage:
Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 21 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared
with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and the remaining at age 16 to 24 years,1,797,000 at or below minimum wage.
Tables 1 - 10 Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers 2012
FACTS not guesses!

Your "facts" were exploded with numbers. Fail again.

You know Jake... you just can't be believed when you write such stupid comment in response to your previous stupid ignorant comment!
Where are your FACTS dummy regarding HOW many is "a lot of employers"???? Is that so hard to do or are you only capable of spouting ignorant unsubstantiated idiotic comments?

Jake and others like him truly represent the LIPs of the world. The FFOs. Those people that make comments, opinions without any substance or substantiation! Jake said "a lot of employers".... How many is "a lot"? The importance of backing up statements is that statements influence ignorant people that don't do any further questioning! Like the people that went along with Hitler's Reich Minister of Propaganda Goebbels who said:"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."
Joseph Goebbels On the Big Lie Jewish Virtual Library
Jake,et.al. don't seem to comprehend that their lack of scholarship truly diminishes what they write and therefore creates an opinion of more questioning people like me as to how full of crap Jake, et.al. are!
I mean Jake, et.al. they believed Obama when he said:..
"I pledge we’ll lower premiums by up to $2,500 for a typical family per year….. We’ll do it by the end of my first term as President of the United States.
If you like your health care plan, you can keep it. If you like the doctor you have, you can keep your doctor, too."

They also as FFOs believe Obama's latest big LIE: " Clean Power Plan will Save the average American family nearly $85 on their annual energy bill in 2030, reducing enough energy to power 30 million homes, and save consumers a total of $155 billion from 2020-2030;
Fact Sheet President Obama to Announce Historic Carbon Pollution Standards for Power Plants whitehouse.gov

WOW once again the Jakes of the world will spout this number as they did the $2,500 typical family savings pledge as the gospel of the Messiah!

The American people are truly catching on to these lies by the liar in chief who told everyone in 1995 he would use LIES to get ahead!
Remember he said he relied on "tricks" and "tactics" to convince people he wasn't what he truly is.."an angry black man"!

Among the findings:

Funny that many illegals work in the high paying construction industry. They take carpenter, electrician, plumber, handy-man, pipe fitter, etc high paying blue collar jobs. They work in assembly and manufacturing plants, which are places American can and will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we have 40 million foreign-born in our country, they make up about 13% of our population, so they make up per capita
  • Maids and housekeepers: 49 percent foreign born, 4 times their number
  • Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: 42 percent foreign born, 3.5 times their number
  • Butchers and meat processors: 37 percent foreign born, 3 times their number
  • Grounds maintenance workers: 36 percent foreign born, 3 times their number
  • Construction laborers: 34 percent foreign born, almost 3 times their number
  • Porters, bellhops, and concierges: 28 percent foreign born, about 2.5 their number
  • Janitors: 27 percent foreign born, about 2.5 their number
Sigh.
Like always you miss the point. The so called jobs Americans won't work are primarily worked by Americans.

Employers would fill them all with illegals if they could because they can exploit illegals with immunity.

I reality all these jobs can be filled by Americans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Complete bs, advocates just toss that out there, and we are supposed to buy it as fact. Been inside of an American factory lately? People want me to believe there are millions of jobs that 90 million unemployed Americans wont do? What a crock of shit!

On top of it, our kids can't get starter jobs, because illegal scum take most of the fast food jobs. It's why my family doesn't eat that crap.
Another area where Americans are getting fucked over are all these H-1B immigrants coming here as IT workers causing wages to decline because they work for shit wages to escape that shithole place called India.

Forum List

Back