"illegal immigrants doing jobs Americans don't want to do"...Myth or reality?

If we have 40 million foreign-born in our country, they make up about 13% of our population, so they make up per capita
  • Maids and housekeepers: 49 percent foreign born, 4 times their number
  • Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: 42 percent foreign born, 3.5 times their number
  • Butchers and meat processors: 37 percent foreign born, 3 times their number
  • Grounds maintenance workers: 36 percent foreign born, 3 times their number
  • Construction laborers: 34 percent foreign born, almost 3 times their number
  • Porters, bellhops, and concierges: 28 percent foreign born, about 2.5 their number
  • Janitors: 27 percent foreign born, about 2.5 their number
Sigh.

Proving that if illegals weren't filling those jobs, Americans would. Sigh
At much higher wages, yes.

Really, are Americans being paid more now? They fill the majority of the jobs you mentioned.
Thanks for the proof that you do not understand the concept of supply and demand.

LMAO, 90 million unemployed at the moment presents a glut of supply, while demand remains virtually stagnant. So tell me again who doesn't understand?
You want to employ retirees, stay at home moms, the lame and disabled, and children and infants that make up 90% of that figure?

Get rid of child and women labor laws?

You are not doing very well.

This argument, in the form stated, is incorrect, or at any rate, misleading. The problem is not in Americans, who refuse to work, but in a fact that a lot of employers choose the immigrants because they are easier to exploit.

Yep and it should be a crime that carries massive punishment. Even jail time, for hiring these freeloaders.

I don't think jail time is warranted. Stiff fines are enough to discourage the behavior if they are enforced. That's the problem, though: the government has no interest in enforcing the laws on the books.

Federal crimes normally carry prison time. They probably still get off cheaper paying fines. You would have to put a high cost per head, in order to make any real difference.

People need to start being jailed for this shit, enough is enough.

The only people that need to be jailed are the illegal aliens, and then sent back to where they came from. These are not criminal statutes we're discussing here. They are labor regulations. Violating regulations doesn't normally involve jail time.

There are also criminal statutes for aiding and abetting illegals to remain, providing employment would qualify.
Enforce the illegal anti-hiring laws for starters. Jail the owners and managers for ten years minimum. Sell off the company. Fine the stock holders every dividend they ever received. GrampaMurkel would be on the first in jail, and Mudwhistle would be right behind him.

Proving that if illegals weren't filling those jobs, Americans would. Sigh

Really, are Americans being paid more now? They fill the majority of the jobs you mentioned.
Thanks for the proof that you do not understand the concept of supply and demand.

LMAO, 90 million unemployed at the moment presents a glut of supply, while demand remains virtually stagnant. So tell me again who doesn't understand?
You want to employ retirees, stay at home moms, the lame and disabled, and children and infants that make up 90% of that figure?

More claims with no proof, I guess because you know it's BULLSHIT!

If you want to employ the 90% of the figure you gave, yeah, it's true. The figures and analysis has you by the balls and is SQUEEZING.

Truth. Supply and demand. Get rid of the illegals and wages will rise dramatically.

I was a guest lecturer in a community college economics class about fifteen years ago.

When asked how many of the students would work in a Tyson plant for $8.00, no hands went up. When asked if they would for $13, all but one said they would, and the one who would not said she was allergic to chicken feathers.

If you want to employ the 90% of the figure you gave, yeah, it's true. The figures and analysis has you by the balls and is SQUEEZING.

Ok hero, let's assume your numbers are correct and only 10% of those who dropped out of the labor force are available for work, that's more than 9 million, add in the other 10 plus million long term unemployed, half of which are young people, and that still leaves a labor glut if you deport the 3-4 million illegals that are actually working. Waiting impatiently for you next ignorant reply.

This argument, in the form stated, is incorrect, or at any rate, misleading. The problem is not in Americans, who refuse to work, but in a fact that a lot of employers choose the immigrants because they are easier to exploit.
Where are your facts? You are just guessing. Please provide FACTS as I did.
You are not believable if you just spout your opinion. Your myths! Give me facts that "a lot of employers"...HOW MANY???

Funny how liberals who support illegal immigration are always the ones who whine businesses want to exploit them...

Ok hero, let's assume your numbers are correct and only 10% of those who dropped out of the labor force are available for work, that's more than 9 million, add in the other 10 plus million long term unemployed, half of which are young people, and that still leaves a labor glut if you deport the 3-4 million illegals that are actually working. Waiting impatiently for you next ignorant reply.
There is no labor glut at all. Those available for work are about 6 million, and you want to get rid of 15 million. We will be labor starved.

There is no labor glut at all. Those available for work are about 6 million, and you want to get rid of 15 million. We will be labor starved.

So you're saying your dear leader is lying about the numbers of illegals that are here and working? And you numbers for Americans available for work are lies, but you already know that.

I was listening to another advocate of amnesty make the common statement that illegals are doing jobs Americans don't want to do and here are the "FACTS" regarding that statement.

This analysis tests the often-made argument that immigrants do only jobs Americans don't want. If the argument is correct, there should be occupations comprised entirely or almost entirely of immigrants (legal and illegal).
But Census Bureau data collected from 2009 to 2011, which allows for detailed analysis of all 472 separate occupations, shows that there were only a handful of majority-immigrant occupations. Thus, there really are no jobs that Americans won't do. Further, we estimated the share of occupations that are comprised of illegal immigrants, and found that there are no occupations in which the majority of workers are illegally in the country.
Among the findings:
  • Of the 472 civilian occupations, only six are majority immigrant (legal and illegal). These six occupations account for 1 percent of the total U.S. workforce. Moreover, native-born Americans still comprise 46 percent of workers even in these occupations.
  • Many jobs often thought to be overwhelmingly immigrant (legal and illegal) are in fact majority native-born:
  • Maids and housekeepers: 51 percent native-born
  • Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: 58 percent native-born
  • Butchers and meat processors: 63 percent native-born
  • Grounds maintenance workers: 64 percent native-born
  • Construction laborers: 66 percent native-born
  • Porters, bellhops, and concierges: 72 percent native-born
  • Janitors: 73 percent native-born
Are There Really Jobs Americans Won t Do Center for Immigration Studies

I'm just showing the FACTS behind that "myth"...
Myth. The ones that want jobs are passed by with the cop out of "over qualified", age, sex.

So you're saying your dear leader is lying about the numbers of illegals that are here and working? And you numbers for Americans available for work are lies, but you already know that.
I am saying that you are lying, tigger. Getting rid of illegal labor will elevate the working man's wage, though. Ask Murkel or Mudwhistle.

I am saying that you are lying, tigger. Getting rid of illegal labor will elevate the working man's wage, though. Ask Murkel or Mudwhistle.

Just can't back up your numbers, can ya? I'm done.

Yup, I tore your numbers into shreds.

Get ride of the illegals, and wages will rise.

Get rid of the illegals and folks like me would be able to work longer instead of being forced into early retirement. And no, I don't demand 15 bucks an hour. I'm here. Available. Legal. Pay taxes and paid taxes when I did work. I have some health issues but my brain still works just fine.
And many more are like me. Even ex cons need work. And veterans. Many like me will take what they can get. But....nobody will hire us.

Get rid of the illegals and folks like me would be able to work longer instead of being forced into early retirement. And no, I don't demand 15 bucks an hour. I'm here. Available. Legal. Pay taxes and paid taxes when I did work. I have some health issues but my brain still works just fine.
And many more are like me. Even ex cons need work. And veterans. Many like me will take what they can get. But....nobody will hire us.
Because the illegals will work more cheaply. You would be hired at several more dollars an hour. Supply and demand.

Yep and it should be a crime that carries massive punishment. Even jail time, for hiring these freeloaders.

I don't think jail time is warranted. Stiff fines are enough to discourage the behavior if they are enforced. That's the problem, though: the government has no interest in enforcing the laws on the books.

Federal crimes normally carry prison time. They probably still get off cheaper paying fines. You would have to put a high cost per head, in order to make any real difference.

People need to start being jailed for this shit, enough is enough.

The only people that need to be jailed are the illegal aliens, and then sent back to where they came from. These are not criminal statutes we're discussing here. They are labor regulations. Violating regulations doesn't normally involve jail time.

There are also criminal statutes for aiding and abetting illegals to remain, providing employment would qualify.

If that's a case than about 200 Democrat mayors and city councils need to be jailed.

Forum List

Back