IL bans self service gas?

Hasnt been passed yet but yeah Illinois residents are too stupid to figure out how to pump gas and just too dangerous.

Back in the good old days you never pumped your own gas and it was something like 25 cents a gallon. Of course a quarter would get you a coke and 10 or 15 cents change from a vending machine. They'd also check your oil, clean your windshield and mirrors and would give you a dish, green stamps or sometimes both.

LOL I came back from the Philippines with a couple of rolls of 25 centavo pieces, a quarter of a peso in their money. It was identical in size and weight to our quarters. I'd put in 25 centavos and get a cold soda and make over twice my money back in change. A great racket while it lasted. The exchange rate then was something like 7 pesos for each US dollar in the bank but most of us did better than that.

Yes you cannot pump your own gas in Oregon. So if someone is in a smoke break or playing with their phone and you are in a hurry, tough luck. When we went through Oregon, as beautiful as it was, most of the people have checked out and that includes gas,attendants. But this is where it becomes too stupid for me. The guy pumped our gas and I tried to give him a tip. He said he couldn’t take it. I said take it man, no one is going to know. He said it was against the law and he couldn’t do it. So not only do we have no choice about pumping gas but we don’t even get a choice to spread the wealth and he doesn’t have a choice to make a better living.

Of course it should be an option. Anyone who owns a gas station should have the option to offer full serve.

We are talking about government mandated MANDATORY only Full Service.

Years ago that's how it got converted to self serve only. First they had one island that was self serve for a few cents cheeper per gallon. Then they had two island, then three. Before you knew it, nobody went to the full service island anymore, so nobody has them.

It's been years since I have even seen full service.
In Mn years ago, a few stations offered it and no one went to full service pumps creating lines at the self serve as it was cheaper. So they all became self serve.
The consumer forced that decision.
As someone stated. What would be the added labor cost of these mega stations with 40 pumps?
People hate waiting for service and that trend continues with self checkout lanes at stores.

The stores and various other places ignore how gasoline went self serve. They offered people a discount. What the stores want is for you to check yourself out, and pay the same amount as the people who go to the cashier. If they offered a 1% discount, they would have everybody going to the self checkout lines.

I live in NJ and we ban self serve

Best thing we ever did

What's so fantastic about it?

Look at me!
I’m pumping gas

I get to sit in my car in the cold and rain and have someone else pump for me

You don’t really think any of the savings from not having an attendant passes on to you, do you?

Fair enough. But why MANDATE it? There are full service gasoline stations in these parts too, but not that many.

Being a Democrat is all about taking away choice. Choice means freedom, and we all know, Democrats don't like freedom.

Hasnt been passed yet but yeah Illinois residents are too stupid to figure out how to pump gas and just too dangerous.
Everyone Should Demand These Companies Hire Employees
It's Time We Stopped Working For Conglomerates For Free With-Out Benefits !!
I Refuse To Use Self Check-Outs In Stores For The Same Reason
We Are Eliminating Good Jobs For Our Fellow Citizens

They Are Creating Profits, Dividends, And Potential Jobs
But You Are Helping Them Cut Their Need For Paid Labor

And You're Doing Their Work For Free

Best thing we ever did

Look at me!
I’m pumping gas

You don’t really think any of the savings from not having an attendant passes on to you, do you?

Gasoline was never a profit thing over the last 30 years or so. Years ago most every gas station had a garage. When you pulled up for gasoline, the mechanic had to stop working on the cars to pump your gas. Gas station owners knew they could make a better profit by keeping their mechanics working on cars, and not make much on the gasoline.

As time went on, the garages closed and they went to convenient stores. The station makes money off their food and beverage sales. Gasoline only draws customers to their stores.

Everyone Should Demand These Companies Hire Employees
It's Time We Stopped Working For Conglomerates For Free With-Out Benefits !!
I Refuse To Use Self Check-Outs In Stores For The Same Reason
We Are Eliminating Good Jobs For Our Fellow Citizens

They Are Creating Profits, Dividends, And Potential Jobs
But You Are Helping Them Cut Their Need For Paid Labor

And You're Doing Their Work For Free

I don't see where working the pumps at Exxon is such a "good" job. Further, by the time you get the attendants attention at modern gas stations that sometimes have dozens of pumps, you could have your gas in the tank, paid for and shoot on into the store to buy a 6 pack and be on your way.

This on top of the new $1.9 billion in vehicle related TAX INCREASES passed in 2019 that slam poor and middle class families with $1,700 in new taxes to fund PORK. Way to look out for the poor and middle class Dems you assholes.

Best thing we ever did

Look at me!
I’m pumping gas

Gasoline was never a profit thing over the last 30 years or so. Years ago most every gas station had a garage. When you pulled up for gasoline, the mechanic had to stop working on the cars to pump your gas. Gas station owners knew they could make a better profit by keeping their mechanics working on cars, and not make much on the gasoline.

As time went on, the garages closed and they went to convenient stores. The station makes money off their food and beverage sales. Gasoline only draws customers to their stores.

That's exactly right. When Full Service was what was done, a bell rang when a customer rolled up to the pumps.

Oregon has had no self service gas stations...like for ever. If you go to pump your own by habit
they get really pissed off at you.
I Bought Gas In Oregon
Was Like A Return To Service Stations
They Even Had A Repair Garage

Polishprince said:
I don't see where working the pumps at Exxon is such a "good" job.
Then Might As Well Work For Exxon For Free, Right ??
And Wal-Mart, And Lowe's....
That Call Is Only For You To Make For Yourself

Americans Need Entry Level Jobs
If They Are Unable To Raise Themselves Higher
Then They Need Those Jobs Even More

Last edited:

Forum List

Back