IL bans self service gas?

I live in NJ and we ban self serve

Best thing we ever did

What's so fantastic about it?

Look at me!
I’m pumping gas

I get to sit in my car in the cold and rain and have someone else pump for me

You don’t really think any of the savings from not having an attendant passes on to you, do you?

Fair enough. But why MANDATE it? There are full service gasoline stations in these parts too, but not that many.
Because if given the choice, they will leave a few overpriced full service pumps and get you to go self serve
Typical lib who hates the free market

under your scenario you are still free to sit in your car and pay more

I saw this on Bulls and bears yesterday so, I was looking for the threads about this stunt but I haven't found one yet

One more reason to move out of this stupid ass state.

We have gas stations with 30 pumps, how many attendants would it take to be able to keep them all running at the same time?
Seven

How did you come to that magic number?

7 are going to run 30 pumps and check oil, tires and windshields?

What are you smoking?

Nobody checks oil, tires or washes windshields anymore. They come, start the pump and come back when it stops and take your money

Illinois gas station law would prohibit drivers from pumping their own gas

"Pump the gas, check the fluids and the tires and all that. Full service," said Rafael Mendez, Milito gas station attendant.

The voice in his head told the mouse in his pocket.
I actually like the idea of full serve gas stations, but why not have both in a station? let the customer decide, my lazy behind would be in the full serve but those who want faster service can go to self.

If a gas station offered both, nobody would go to the full service island. People want to save money when it comes to gasoline. I remember this well during the conversion. Stations would start of with one island for self serve. When lines started to form at that island and nobody at the full serve, they opened up two, then three.

Before you knew it, everybody was using the self serve island and nobody at the full service, so they just did away with full service altogether.

One more reason to move out of this stupid ass state.

We have gas stations with 30 pumps, how many attendants would it take to be able to keep them all running at the same time?
Seven

How did you come to that magic number?

7 are going to run 30 pumps and check oil, tires and windshields?

What are you smoking?

Nobody checks oil, tires or washes windshields anymore. They come, start the pump and come back when it stops and take your money

That's what I thought you were talking about as well. When you said they have full service, I was thinking it was like full service was years ago when they did do those things.
My car broke down at a gas station once
Worst place to break down. They won’t do anything to help youn

Not anymore. Most gas stations no longer work on cars. They are just a bunch of low paid store workers.

Apply again and stay away from lawyers. They say wait till 65 for SSI? If one starts at 62 and gets $12K a year for 3 years vs wait until 65 to get $1200 a month more, how long does it take to make up the $36K you already got? Most die before recoup.
Seems like 2 1/2 years to recoup[/QUOTE]

Longer. If one collects $12K at 62 for 3 years that's $36K on the plus side before reaching 65. If you wait till 65 and get $1-1.2K per year more ie $13K a year (yup all it is figured it for wife) Takes 36 years to recoup what you could have had at 62-65. You're smart, do the math. I'm no accountant but pretty obvious. Remember it's only about $100 a month more if one waits. Accountant had my uncle going on at 62, he was going to wait till 65. Accountant told him, you an idiot or what?

Last edited:
There are two disability programs: SSI and SSDI. I'm not applicable for SSI because of my rental income. It only pays about half of what SSDI pays anyhow. I was told SSI was kind of like a welfare program. So right now I'm waiting for word on SSDI which takes 3 to 5 months before I get an answer. They told me up front I'm not going to get SSI which is a good thing, but they had to send me a rejection letter as procedure.

I applied on Dec 11th which puts me over two months into the waiting process. When I asked about what they do once I hit retirement age at 67, they said it's all internal. I won't see any difference at all because what I would get on SSDI is the same amount I would be getting for SS retirement at 67.

If this had not happened, then I would have just likely retired at 62 which pays 75% of what you'd get if you waited until 67. I could have continued working if I wanted during that time and would have done much better.

Yes I am familiar. SSD is disability, SSI is what anyone can get at 65 who paid their 44 quarters in. Once you reach 62, it's yours however some wait till 65. I didn't, wife didn't. See my discussions with RW. Talk with an accountant. At 62 once eligible no income matters, SSI is yours. SSD disability is a different animal totally, income does matter.

I'm glad I am in KY, after 55 years in the north and 11 here.

Try and find a full serve station. I know of one in a 50 mi radius. I was kinda shocked to see there are NOT "no smoking signs" at pumps! But then when has any smoker blown up a station pumping gas (yea some libtard will find 1 example)

. . .

1 example?? Here are several, just off the top of my head:

Bodega Bay filling station explodes after match discarded by cigar smoker ignites gasoline

Four models killed in gas station explosion, authorities cite smoking, horseplay as likely factors

Armed gunman injured in police shootout after cigarette causes gas station explosion, killing attendant

Thanks Bro, I knew someone could find it! :) Personally, never seen it, don't care, don't smoke either, Just hate being regulated on anything "for my safety" In KY, we aren't. It's freedom. Maybe you gonna get blowed up but we are free.

There are two disability programs: SSI and SSDI. I'm not applicable for SSI because of my rental income. It only pays about half of what SSDI pays anyhow. I was told SSI was kind of like a welfare program. So right now I'm waiting for word on SSDI which takes 3 to 5 months before I get an answer. They told me up front I'm not going to get SSI which is a good thing, but they had to send me a rejection letter as procedure.

I applied on Dec 11th which puts me over two months into the waiting process. When I asked about what they do once I hit retirement age at 67, they said it's all internal. I won't see any difference at all because what I would get on SSDI is the same amount I would be getting for SS retirement at 67.

If this had not happened, then I would have just likely retired at 62 which pays 75% of what you'd get if you waited until 67. I could have continued working if I wanted during that time and would have done much better.

Yes I am familiar. SSD is disability, SSI is what anyone can get at 65 who paid their 44 quarters in. Once you reach 62, it's yours however some wait till 65. I didn't, wife didn't. See my discussions with RW. Talk with an accountant. At 62 once eligible no income matters, SSI is yours. SSD disability is a different animal totally, income does matter.

It does matter to a degree. They calculate what you and your employers put into the program to come out with the amount. I'm trying to tell my sister to collect at 62 which she is now. Work is killing her, but she wants the full amount and says she may need it down the road. I told her she could still work, just perhaps at another job part-time. She'd be better off financially.

Apply again and stay away from lawyers. They say wait till 65 for SSI? If one starts at 62 and gets $12K a year for 3 years vs wait until 65 to get $1200 a month more, how long does it take to make up the $36K you already got? Most die before recoup.
Seems like 2 1/2 years to recoup

Longer. If one collects $12K at 62 for 3 years that's $36K on the plus side before reaching 65. If you wait till 65 and get $1-1.2K per year more ie $13K a year (yup all it is figured it for wife) Takes 36 years to recoup what you could have had at 62-65. You're smart, do the math. I'm no accountant but pretty obvious. Remember it's only about $100 a month more if one waits. Accountant had my uncle going on at 62, he was going to wait till 65. Accountant told him, you an idiot or what?[/QUOTE]

Plus if you didn't need the money, you could invest it in a growth account, or even contribute it to your IRA which are doing great today. If you collect early, you can still make $17,600 a year working. There is no limit on IRA contributions past the age of 59.5.

Longer. If one collects $12K at 62 for 3 years that's $36K on the plus side before reaching 65. If you wait till 65 and get $1-1.2K per year more ie $13K a year (yup all it is figured it for wife) Takes 36 years to recoup what you could have had at 62-65. You're smart, do the math. I'm no accountant but pretty obvious. Remember it's only about $100 a month more if one waits. Accountant had my uncle going on at 62, he was going to wait till 65. Accountant told him, you an idiot or what?

Plus if you didn't need the money, you could invest it in a growth account, or even contribute it to your IRA which are doing great today. If you collect early, you can still make $17,600 a year working. There is no limit on IRA contributions past the age of 59.5.[/QUOTE]

Yes and one can still work, then invest. SSD very different but then nor everyone gets that. Got to be one screwed up mess to get that. But regular SSI, we worked for it, at 62 one is eligible. My math says take it then not wait till 65. Many do but I don't get why? If they live to 90+ OK getting more. But who wants to live to 90! Die young, make a good looking corpse.

I'm glad I am in KY, after 55 years in the north and 11 here.

Try and find a full serve station. I know of one in a 50 mi radius. I was kinda shocked to see there are NOT "no smoking signs" at pumps! But then when has any smoker blown up a station pumping gas (yea some libtard will find 1 example)

. . .

1 example?? Here are several, just off the top of my head:

Bodega Bay filling station explodes after match discarded by cigar smoker ignites gasoline

Four models killed in gas station explosion, authorities cite smoking, horseplay as likely factors

Armed gunman injured in police shootout after cigarette causes gas station explosion, killing attendant

Thanks Bro, I knew someone could find it! :) Personally, never seen it, don't care, don't smoke either, Just hate being regulated on anything "for my safety" In KY, we aren't. It's freedom. Maybe you gonna get blowed up but we are free.

Did you click on any of those links? If not, check them out when you have a minute. LOL

Plus if you didn't need the money, you could invest it in a growth account, or even contribute it to your IRA which are doing great today. If you collect early, you can still make $17,600 a year working. There is no limit on IRA contributions past the age of 59.5.

Yes and one can still work, then invest. SSD very different but then nor everyone gets that. Got to be one screwed up mess to get that. But regular SSI, we worked for it, at 62 one is eligible. My math says take it then not wait till 65. Many do but I don't get why? If they live to 90+ OK getting more. But who wants to live to 90! Die young, make a good looking corpse.[/QUOTE]

People are scared of investments. I'm not. I invested in real estate. If I didn't do that, I wouldn't have been able to survive until they make a decision about my claim. I was also invested in an IRA, which I'm hoping not to have to touch until this is all settled. I was in the commodities market for a couple of years. I loved it.

It's the people who never made investments that come here and bitch about wealthy people. Wealthy people were (in most cases) not always that way. They took huge risks, made investments, and some did very well for themselves. The wealth haters are those who were afraid to do the exact same, and are pissed off at others who have.

Did you click on any of those links? If not, check them out when you have a minute. LOL[/QUOTE]

Guilty but yes I clicked on all 3 just now. Thanks! Hilarious!!!! Everyone should watch them.

People are scared of investments. I'm not. I invested in real estate. If I didn't do that, I wouldn't have been able to survive until they make a decision about my claim. I was also invested in an IRA, which I'm hoping not to have to touch until this is all settled. I was in the commodities market for a couple of years. I loved it.

It's the people who never made investments that come here and bitch about wealthy people. Wealthy people were (in most cases) not always that way. They took huge risks, made investments, and some did very well for themselves. The wealth haters are those who were afraid to do the exact same, and are pissed off at others who have.

I invested $40K in silver at the suggestion 2 investors. Co went bankrupt. Northwest Territorial Mint.
Former Northwest Territorial Mint Pres. Ross Hansen Indicted for Fraud

Also real estate which is up and down!

I invested $40K in silver at the suggestion 2 investors. Co went bankrupt. Northwest Territorial Mint.
Former Northwest Territorial Mint Pres. Ross Hansen Indicted for Fraud

Also real estate which is up and down!

Was it the actual silver, or just certificates? I always prefer to hold my precious metal investments, as I don't like the idea of not having ready access to it, or having to pay management fees. Plus it's cool as hell to have stacks of Silver Eagles and Gold Eagles on hand. Kind of makes you feel like Scrooge McDuck.

Precious metals are a good hedge against market volatility. They aren't going to earn you a huge ROI, unless the cash markets go to shit, but it will also hold pretty steady in value the rest of the time.

Was it the actual silver, or just certificates? I always prefer to hold my precious metal investments, as I don't like the idea of not having ready access to it, or having to pay management fees. Plus it's cool as hell to have stacks of Silver Eagles and Gold Eagles on hand. Kind of makes you feel like Scrooge McDuck.

Precious metals are a good hedge against market volatility. They aren't going to earn you a huge ROI, unless the cash markets go to shit, but it will also hold pretty steady in value the rest of the time.

It was actual silver in 1 oz bars. I figured yes hold it's value, sometimes go up and sell. The assholes even changed ny order number from 25xxx to 96xxx to try and cover not shipping. FBI talked to me and told me flat out they had no intention of ever shipping my silver. Read up on Hansen and his GF, pretty fuked up

It was actual silver in 1 oz bars. I figured yes hold it's value, sometimes go up and sell. The assholes even changed ny order number from 25xxx to 96xxx to try and cover not shipping. FBI talked to me and told me flat out they had no intention of ever shipping my silver. Read up on Hansen and his GF, pretty fuked up

That sucks man, I'm sorry to hear that. I've always used sdbullion.com. They've typically had the best prices on Silver Eagles (lowest cost over spot), and they've always handled my orders promptly and professionally. It's terrifying giving up large sums of money and not being sure if you're going to get screwed over.

Forum List

Back